FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best prog album of all time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best prog album of all time?
    Posted: August 04 2023 at 11:42
Genesis - Foxtrot
zawesomekid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zawesomekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 12:50
I personally think that Yes - "Close to the Edge" is most likely my favorite prog album of time.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 01:53
Of course kids like scary stuff...they are evolved killer apes...apex preditor on planet earth...
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 05:13
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Since hardly anyone knows this album:

What a masterpiece!
I actually do have this - and think I got it after you posted about it here on an earlier occasion. An excellent album, indeed, though not the greatest in my personal canon. 

'Wassilissa' is much to scary for small children though!

Of course everyone has his or her personal favorite album. For me and Jean it is this album because our daughters loved it so much when they were kids. And they love it still.

Children actually like the scary stuff. Just think of "Hansel and Gretel", "Little Red Riding Hood" or "Mother Hulda". They may clasp their eyes or ears when it is being told, but they want to hear it.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 01 2020 at 05:29

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 04:48

What a masterpiece!
I actually do have this - and think I got it after you posted about it here on an earlier occasion. An excellent album, indeed, though not the greatest in my personal canon. 

'Wassilissa' is much to scary for small children though!

Edited by Mascodagama - June 01 2020 at 04:49
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 19:34
The greatest Prog album of ALL time is obvious.

It is “Moving Pictures Close to the Edge of the Dark Side of the Moon”
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 11:58

What a masterpiece!

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 06:15
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ yep are we talking 'remix' or 'remaster'?

Anyway Gates Of Delirium pissed on everything else Yes had done to that point imo. Pity the whole album wasn't as good although Sound Chaser at least showed a band that was still trying to progress.

TFTO has some good parts but it just goes to sleep at times. The idea of it is so much greater than the actual reality.

In terms of technical skill and musical prowess, I absolutely agree that GoD is the pinnacle of Yes tracks up to that point.

In terms of impact on progressive rock as a whole, Close to The Edge still holds that crown IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 05:15
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Anyway Gates Of Delirium pissed on everything else Yes had done to that point imo. Pity the whole album wasn't as good although Sound Chaser at least showed a band that was still trying to progress.

TFTO has some good parts but it just goes to sleep at times. The idea of it is so much greater than the actual reality.

GoD on YesShows pisses all over the studio version...The extended remixed version of TFTO is BOSS...extension and bombast are essential...for true symph prog...but for those who think that Turn it on again is good...I can see them HATING tobys graphic gocart...😎

Edited by M27Barney - May 31 2020 at 05:16
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 03:25

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:35

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

My vote is (and always will be) for Tales From Topographic Oceans. Hardcore Yes. Haters be damned!!!

The original "Tales from Topographic Oceans" is great. But the remastering is a catastrophe.

I didn't care for the Steve Wilson version for some reason. I'm not sure which one you are referring to though but if it's the SW one I agree.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 15:32

Still a meaningless question.

The correct answer is Bubu's Anabelas.

The correct answer is Mother Gong's "Fairy Tales".
The correct answer is Henry Cow's Western Culture.
Bandcamp Profile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:22
I can't even agree with myself as to the Best 100 Prog Albums of All-Time! How can I ever hope to agree with you hon-yocks?

Edited by BrufordFreak - May 30 2020 at 19:54
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:32

The correct answer is Mother Gong's "Fairy Tales".

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:18

Bandcamp Profile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:10

My vote is (and always will be) for Tales From Topographic Oceans. Hardcore Yes. Haters be damned!!!

The original "Tales from Topographic Oceans" is great. But the remastering is a catastrophe.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:49

Aye. I would have to agree that it nails the zeitgeist of symphonic prog and is the paradigm of what a symphonic prog track should aspire to.....
GOOD CALL...😎

Edited by M27Barney - May 30 2020 at 07:50
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 09:54
The Prog Corner
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 13:20
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

As expected I see a lot of people ranks CTTE as their all time favorite, I'll just say it's not in my top 20 although I would rate it 5 stars, for some reason the more obscure ones tend to connect with me more than the usual suspects. If I'd have to choose an album from the more well known bands it would be Red.
Otherwise my all time winners would be:

Dun - Eros
Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys (not prog)
Maxophone - S/T
Orphaned Land - Sahara

Maxophone is awesome.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 11:43
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Otherwise my all time winners would be:

Dun - Eros
Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys (not prog)
Maxophone - S/T
Orphaned Land - Sahara

Good shout for Maxophone, an album that has your habitually feisty rodent reduced to tears Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>