Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many albums have you listened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many albums have you listened?
    Posted: May 18 2019 at 11:46
From the top 100 of progarchives. I'm clocking around 71/100. Still missing some Italiano and more jazzy albums like "Miles Davis".
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 12:13
I've never been curious how many albums from the list I know and listened. 
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 12:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Tastes differ within the discography and genre and subgenres. I personally do not like Gentle Giant's In A Glass House for its repetitiveness. "Way Of Life" looks like an attempt to fill the necessary space on disc. Gentle Giant's debut album is among my favourites. Genesis' favourites are Trespass and Foxtrot. I prefer the first album by Fantasy (which is Paint A Picture) and Spring.

I don't count them. I'm too impatient and egotistic for that kind of things.

Anyway, respect to the creator of the topic. There may be more patient and less egotistic persons among us here.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:01
I listened to 64 of them, and there are a few of the remaining 36 that I have no intention to listen to at all

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:52
As it currently stands (since the bottom of the list is always changing around a bit) I own 92 and have listened to (most of) 5 more. But admittedly, that list has been a guide for a good part of my collection.
Z
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:55
Wow, nice collection you have :)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:57
you should see the collection Friede and I have; it is really huge. but our tastes are not very mainstream

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:59
Haha, I've noticed that :) Btw, Tanz der lemming is great on the first listen! (still 30mins to go)

Edited by Foxprog - May 18 2019 at 16:09
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 22:39
I haven’t paid any attention to that list but as you ask I make it 45 that I’ve heard. I’ve collected all 50 albums on the list in Julian Cope’s book Krautrocksampler plus the others he mentions and am currently working through a lot of Tangerine Dream albums using the PA discography and review pages but in a selective way and am not aiming for completionism here.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 23:12
No idea.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 02:31

Edited by noni - May 19 2019 at 05:47
paulindigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 02:47
I own 99 of them and have listened to most of A Drop of Light, which of course is on my purchase list :))
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 05:31
There are 22 I haven't heard at all and some 25 more of which I have only heard bits and pieces and then decided to not bother listening to the whole thing.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 06:22
I'm missing 10. Mostly metal and some newer stuff.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 06:52
Listened to 62 of them, still missing basically all the jazz and canterbury bar a few bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra. I've also not listened to any neo prog other than Marillion's debut album
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 07:07
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

From the top 100 of progarchives. I'm clocking around 71/100. Still missing some Italiano and more jazzy albums like "Miles Davis".

88 out of 100.

Not sure that I will have enough life time to catch up with all the others, and some of them are (for me) not really "progressive" as they should be, comparing to lesser known things that deserve to be listed but won't be because one group is listed 5 times, another 5 times, etc, etc ... which means that folks that deserve to be there won't because of far inferior albums by better known bands, because of their fame, and everyone sucking up to it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 11:56
When I started coming to PA (and restarted paying attention to good ol' prog) I used the genre top lists as a guide to new discoveries, and for good measure I did so, since it helped me a lot at the beginning  ... but then I moved to take advice from  particular reviewers' lists/ratings/reviews which I little by little came to discover had similar tastes to mine.

I guess I ended up by listening to almost all of the global TOP100 but own now maybe about 50 (lately mainly FLAC downloads)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 12:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Me neither. To be honest, I have my list of favorites, and that's what matter when I'm going to listen to music, either favorites or something new to discover. The rest come in second, albums that I occasionally listen to.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 14:27
Seems I've heard 95 of them, maybe 70 I'm really somewhat familiar with.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 14:45
I've got 21 of the 100 as it currently stands.

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 20, 35, 38, 39, 42, 49, 51, 56, 63, 71, 74, 76, 83.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>