Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10/10 prog songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 11:31
This is more of a Prog Folk Related song, but the song that most readily springs to my mind is Nick Drake's  "River Man".  To me it is so beautifully melancholic, fragile, and moving.  

For a song classified as Prog by the archives standards, Prog Folk that is, I'll go with Comus' "The Herald" ("Winter is a Coloured Bird" being another particular favourite).

Edited by Logan - May 24 2019 at 11:38
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 13:37
^Those are incredibly beautiful indeed - and perfect. But I'm like tho opposite of jamesbaldwin who has only one progsong he'd rate a 10/10. Could I rate a song on Kobaļa, Rock Bottom, Crossings, First Utterance etc... any less than a 10/10? I don't think so. From my whole music collection I would have ended up with a list of thousands. So I won't.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 18:00
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^Those are incredibly beautiful indeed - and perfect. But I'm like tho opposite of jamesbaldwin who has only one progsong he'd rate a 10/10. Could I rate a song on Kobaļa, Rock Bottom, Crossings, First Utterance etc... any less than a 10/10? I don't think so. From my whole music collection I would have ended up with a list of thousands. So I won't.

Same for me with the songs on those specific albums and many, many, many more in my collection (if I included instrumentals, the list would be really massive).  And for me it's not about perfection, it's really just about how much I love them.  It's very subjective.  Something that is perfectly polished might well not appeal as much to me as something that is rough around the edges.  I wouldn't say that The Shagg's Philosophy of the World is better than, say, a Spock's Beard or Dream Theater album, but it would still rate higher for me.  And while I could think of more complex, polished, and technical music than Can's "Mother Sky", Cos' "L'idiot Leone",  Soft Machine's "Moon in June", Perry Leopold's "the Journey", or Spirogyra's "Duke of Beaufoot", to use specific song examples, they are all ten out of ten for me.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 18:01

I try to explain myself better. I don't say that I will give 10 only to Man-Erg, I say that UNTIL NOW, looking at the reviews that I wrote here for PA, and those I'm going to write (Pawn Hearts, for example), only of Man-ERG I'm sure I'll put 10. And I dont put 10 if I find perfection, but a mix of excellence: melody, originality, emotions. Refined musical score with beautiful and deep lyrics with great pathos and performance determine, in a subjective way, the final rating.

Now I checked my reviews, and I see that I had forgotten I put 10 to 21St Schizoid Man. I put the final ratings to albums and songs only when I publish here my reviews, which you can all see. Of course, of some songs and albums I already know, more or less, what vote I will give. But usually not in a precise way. 

I wrote in Italian, some years ago, all the reviews of the Beatles albums and their songs, which I will slowly translate and publish on this site (until now I've written here in PA the reviews since Please Please Me to Sgt Pepper's).

I also wrote the reviews to the albums of my idol of youth Bruce Springsteen, which obviously I'm not going to publish here, but which have only one 10: Jungleland. Instead, in concert, The River, Racing in The Street, Lost in The Flood and Youngstown take 10. Then there are other studio songs with 9.5 (Backstreets) and 9+ (New York Cit Serenade etc). 

Anyway, UNTIL NOW, looking at my 106 reviews here in PA (plus my next reviews on the Beatles, plus ny review on Pawn Hearts that is almost ready), this is my personal ranking:

1. Man-Erg 10
2. 21st Schizoid Man 10
3. A Day In The Life 9,5/10 (10 - )
4. Lorca  9,5
5. Song For Europe 9,5 
6. The Weaver's Answer 9,5
7. If There Is Something 9,5
8. Firth Of Fifth 9,5
9. I am The Walrus 9,5
10. Strawberry Fields Forever 9+
11. While My Guitar Gently Weeps 9+
12. Let It Be (Lp version) 9+
13. Spanish Tide  9
14. Heart of The Sunrise 9
15. I Want You - Shes so Heavy 9
16. Epitaph 9
17. Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite  9.

Surely, Rock Bottom by Wyatt, Silent Corner by Hammill, The Least We Can Do and From H to He by Van Der Graaf, Wish You Were Here and Animals by PF include songs to which I'll put 9.5 or maybe 10. The same goes for The End and When The Music's Over by the Doors, and I believe also for First Utterance and many others.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - May 24 2019 at 18:09
"Happiness is real only when shared"
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 15:21
David Bowie : African night flight
Holger Czukay : Hollywood symphony
Talking Heads : Born Under Punches
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso : La cittą sottile
Frank Zappa : Alien Orifice
David Sylvian : Brilliant Trees
Ennio Morricone : Incontro a Venezia (per amore)
The Doors : Love Street
Paul williams : The hell of it
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 16:05
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Same for me with the songs on those specific albums and many, many, many more in my collection (if I included instrumentals, the list would be really massive).  And for me it's not about perfection, it's really just about how much I love them.  It's very subjective.  Something that is perfectly polished might well not appeal as much to me as something that is rough around the edges.  I wouldn't say that The Shagg's Philosophy of the World is better than, say, a Spock's Beard or Dream Theater album, but it would still rate higher for me.  And while I could think of more complex, polished, and technical music than Can's "Mother Sky", Cos' "L'idiot Leone",  Soft Machine's "Moon in June", Perry Leopold's "the Journey", or Spirogyra's "Duke of Beaufoot", to use specific song examples, they are all ten out of ten for me.

I try to explain myself better. I don't say that I will give 10 only to Man-Erg, I say that UNTIL NOW, looking at the reviews that I wrote here for PA, and those I'm going to write (Pawn Hearts, for example), only of Man-ERG I'm sure I'll put 10. And I dont put 10 if I find perfection, but a mix of excellence: melody, originality, emotions. Refined musical score with beautiful and deep lyrics with great pathos and performance determine, in a subjective way, the final rating.
I don't think I misunderstood the essentials. I'm more on board with Logan's way of approaching art/music. Any song/tune I wouldn't want to change a thing about & that is a great listening experience + I know by heart and revisit every once in a while - will qualify as perfect the way I see it. I had a look at your review/ratings page and although there probably just two or three of those albums that are among my hundred favorites I'd could still think of at least seventy-eighty songs from those that I'd rate 10/10 just by thinking about them (and if I looked again I'd probably come up with twice as many).  

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 26 2019 at 00:11
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 19:27
OK, so one song per band/artist. The ones below are not necessarily the best songs by the respective artists, but if they are to fit into the prog, or prog-like department. I know there are only a few prog bands proper.

The Beach Boys: Surf's Up (Smile sessions/Surf's Up)
The Beatles: A Day In the Life (Sgt. Pepper's...)
David Bowie: Subterraneans (Low)
Can: Pinch (Ege Bamyasi)
Deep Purple: Child In Time (In Rock)
Faust: It's a Bit of a Pain (Faust IV)
Genesis: The Carpet Crawlers (The Lamb...)
Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells side 1
Neu!: Hallogallo (Neu!)
Pink Floyd: Time (The Dark Side...)
Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody (A Night At the Opera)
Talking Heads: The Great Curve (Remain in Light)
The Who: Underture (Tommy)
Frank Zappa/Mothers: The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny (We're Only...)

Edited by The Anders - May 25 2019 at 19:30
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 21:23
[Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite ]

Imo, the weakest song on Sgt. Pepper.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 23:59

This is more of a Prog Folk Related song, but the song that most readily springs to my mind is Nick Drake's  "River Man".  To me it is so beautifully melancholic, fragile, and moving.  

For a song classified as Prog by the archives standards, Prog Folk that is, I'll go with Comus' "The Herald" ("Winter is a Coloured Bird" being another particular favourite).

River Man is a superbly melancholic song. Love Fruit Tree too.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 00:17
Yes, I forgot River Man. That's my choice number 10.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 04:01
These few immediately come to mind:

Yes - Close to The Edge
Genesis - Supper's Ready
VDGG - Scorched Earth
Gentle Giant - Cogs in Cogs
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Gentle Giant - Knots
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
King Crimson - LTIA Pt 1
King Crimson - LTIA Pt 2
Camel - Lunar Sea
Weather Report - Hovana
Frank Zappa - Inca Roads
Frank Zappa - Big Swifty
PFM - Appena Un Po'
PFM - Generale
PFM - Per In Amico
Yes - The Revealing Science of God
Yes - The Gates of Delirium
Genesis - Dancing with The Moonlit Knight 
Casiopea - Midnight Rendezvous

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 11:03
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

David Bowie : African night flight
Holger Czukay : Hollywood symphony
Talking Heads : Born Under Punches
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso : La cittą sottile
Frank Zappa : Alien Orifice
David Sylvian : Brilliant Trees
Ennio Morricone : Incontro a Venezia (per amore)
The Doors : Love Street
Paul williams : The hell of it

You're my man!
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 15:43
My hidden gem is I am the Walrus by Spooky Tooth. I love to get back to it every now and then. My "madeleine de Proust".
oka2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oka2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 04:07
Yes:
Starship Trooper
Perpetual Change
Roundabout
Heart of Sunrise
Close to the Edge
And You And I
Awaken
Machine Messiah

Genesis:
The Musical Box
The Fountain of Salmacis
Supper's Ready
Firth of Fifth
Cinema Show
Dance on Volcano
Eleventh Earl of Mar
Duke's Travels/Duke's End

Pink Floyd:
Echoes
Time
Us and Them
Sheep

King Crimson:
Epitaph
In the Court of the Crimson King
Larks Tongues In Aspic I & II
Exiles
Starless

Van der Graaf Generator:
The Undercover Man
Sleepwalkers
Childlike Faith In Childhood's End

Rush:
Farewell To Kings
Xanadu

Jethro Tull:
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick part 1

patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 03:45
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

following the one per band principle

Tarkus (live version)
Xanadu

Another fan of Olivia Newton-John! I, too, loved her work with E.L.O.!

;)

Edited by patrickq - June 08 2019 at 03:46
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 04:42
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Tarkus (live version)
Xanadu

;)

for a second I thought you did not know it was the Rush song he's referring to. LOL
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 04:51
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

My hidden gem is I am the Walrus by Spooky Tooth. I love to get back to it every now and then. My "madeleine de Proust".

probably my favorite Beatles cover version, rivaled only by the "Eleanor Rigby" version of Vanilla Fudge

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2019 at 00:40
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Tarkus (live version)
Xanadu

;)

for a second I thought you did not know it was the Rush song he's referring to. LOL

I suppose as ELO are on PA as well then I should have specified Embarrassed
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2019 at 04:18

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Tarkus (live version)
Xanadu

;)

I suppose as ELO are on PA as well then I should have specified Embarrassed

Rather like my lack of appreciation for Close to the Edge, there's another example of were my tastes do not seem to fit the majority. I love Olivia Newton-John with ELO's "Xanadu", and I'm lukewarm on Rush's "Xanadu". I find the ELO song so much much more fun, and I do find Newton-John that much sexier than Geddy Lee (sorry Geddy, I'm just not that way inclined).
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2019 at 10:09

Rather like my lack of appreciation for Close to the Edge, there's another example of were my tastes do not seem to fit the majority. I love Olivia Newton-John with ELO's "Xanadu", and I'm lukewarm on Rush's "Xanadu". I find the ELO song so much much more fun, and I do find Newton-John that much sexier than Geddy Lee (sorry Geddy, I'm just not that way inclined).

First off, I am a Close to the Edge fan - - I’m not that much of a heretic. But on all other counts I agree. The ELO/ONJ song is way better. And yes, back in the 1970s, Geddy had his moments (that hair!), but I’d take Olivia any day!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>