Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A selection of albums from 1969

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these do you enjoy the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.43%]
2 [3.77%]
1 [1.89%]
2 [3.77%]
2 [3.77%]
4 [7.55%]
2 [3.77%]
1 [1.89%]
3 [5.66%]
3 [5.66%]
2 [3.77%]
1 [1.89%]
15 [28.30%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.77%]
7 [13.21%]
1 [1.89%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:49
There are some usual suspects on this list that I could easily vote for, but what smiled at me most when going through the list was the wonderful mystical East of Eden album.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:50
Vole 2 over PD
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:59
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

From the list, definitely Soft Machine Vol 2.  Off list, VDGG - Aerosol Grey Machine Wink

or "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other"

I'd agree, and rank "The Least..." higher than "Aerosol..." but I believe "The Least..." was released in '70 Wink

it was released in 1970 but recorded in 1969

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 13:06
Ummagumma with Basket of Light as runner-up.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 13:11

From the list, definitely Soft Machine Vol 2.  Off list, VDGG - Aerosol Grey Machine Wink

or "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other"

I'd agree, and rank "The Least..." higher than "Aerosol..." but I believe "The Least..." was released in '70 Wink

it was released in 1970 but recorded in 1969

True, but it's hardly the only album to be recorded late in a year and officially released early in the next.  Trick of the Tail comes to mind...recorded Oct/Nov '75 released the following Feb and officially considered a '76 release.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 05:23
Voted for the Floyd on this poll . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:07
Too many albums I couldn't give up to: Arzachel, Basket of Light, Family Entertainment, the obvious Ummagumma, then some that I really enjoy even if not masterpieces like Sea Shanty and It's A Beautiful Day (with the proto-version of Deep Purple's Child in Time), Joy of a Toy, Song Of Experience...

A good year for prog.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:21
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Too many albums I couldn't give up to: Arzachel, Basket of Light, Family Entertainment, the obvious Ummagumma, then some that I really enjoy even if not masterpieces like Sea Shanty and It's A Beautiful Day (with the proto-version of Deep Purple's Child in Time), Joy of a Toy, Song Of Experience...

A good year for prog.

"Sea Shanties" is a masterpiece.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 14:36
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

1969 was an explosive year of fun stuff to discover for those who were there (or for me years later). Can't choose one gem over a dozen other I'm equally fond of
...but here's my ten favorites form the poll. All insanely fantasic

Can - Monster Movie
Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei
Arzachel - Arzachel
The Pentangle - Basket of Light
Catherine Ribeiro + 2Bis
The Soft Machine - Volume 2
East of Eden - Mercator Projected
Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy
High Tide - Sea Shanties
White Noise - An Electric Storm
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 17:59
The first three Soft Machine albums are really hard to beat in any poll (for me), although there are lots of great albums in this list (and additional ones mentioned by others)
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 22:02
It's a Beautiful Day for me. Love the violin and vocal harmonies.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 07:27
Hi,

There is something bad/weird about this poll.

I was around at the time, in a place where music was strong ... and in Madison, at that time I had already heard things like Fairport Convention, Incredible String Band, Family, Jethro Tull, and many others.

What is weird, is seeing a listing for High Tide ... no one knew it, or heard it, and in a very active town that had so much music in the homes (not in the radio!!!!!!), that band had never surfaced. 

It tells you that people are voting with the HINDSIGHT of knowing the music, and how they feel about it now.

I'm quite OK with it showing up, but seeing it listed as a "favorite" opposite others, is weird .... it was not a favorite and in fact, I did not find that until later when I saw his name connected with HAWKWIND, and went after the other stuff.

Even weirder, was that ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY is not given better listens and status ... and they had a HUGE HIT with "White Bird" and played a lot of "progressive" concerts in EUROPE (check out the film "Stamping Ground" for a couple of really fiery things by them, and others, of which PF is not the best! Family and Santana were!)

Of all those albums, ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY, probably had more sales and was better known than anyone else! Even PF was not a "known" at that time ... they were mostly known as a stony band, that left behind some far out bootlegs that had some weird stuff, sound effects and quotes by a guy names Syd, that became better known after he was taken out of the band!

It just shows you the DISTORTION of time ... and how it changes. Today, we have heard most of it (I doubt as many folks have even heard of IABD in detailed form!), and make a selection based on our enjoyment of things, however, its historical effect? Zilch. Nada. Even Family was an unknown, maybe with the exception of LONDON. But here they are amidst the favorites.

Weird!

Edited by moshkito - May 25 2019 at 07:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 09:43
Out of these choices? Pink Floyd.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 11:32
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Out of these choices? Pink Floyd.

First post of the day with my morning coffee, still haven't fully woken up.

Yes, but just because I asked "Which of these do you enjoy the most?", and wrote "This is a selection of albums from 1969 with psychedelic qualities, please choose a favourite" does not mean that I don't want you to list some of your own favourite 1969 albums with psychedelic qualities, and when I make polls, I have hopes to discover obscurities/ new-to-me albums.

Sometimes I add an other option, but I don't see much point when it comes to these. If one can't choose one off the list, then its likely that the "other" choice will not be that relevant in terms of fitting in with the choices, and if one can think of others, one can vote for and mention one in the poll while also mentioning "other" choices.

Especially when it comes to similar ones to particular choices in the poll, albums not yet discussed in the thread, and obscurities, I would love to hear about them, and as I often say, "the poll is intended as an accessory to discussion".   

So while it's out of these, also feel free to mention others. I love to learn about music and have discovered a huge number of albums thanks to both other polls, but also their recommendations to me in my polls, and I hope others have found out about some albums thanks to me.

Edited by Logan - May 25 2019 at 11:35
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 13:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I was around at the time, in a place where music was strong ... and in Madison, at that time I had already heard things like Fairport Convention, Incredible String Band, Family, Jethro Tull, and many others.

What is weird, is seeing a listing for High Tide ... no one knew it, or heard it, and in a very active town that had so much music in the homes (not in the radio!!!!!!), that band had never surfaced. 

It tells you that people are voting with the HINDSIGHT of knowing the music, and how they feel about it now.

I'm quite OK with it showing up, but seeing it listed as a "favorite" opposite others, is weird .... it was not a favorite and in fact, I did not find that until later when I saw his name connected with HAWKWIND, and went after the other stuff.

Even weirder, was that ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY is not given better listens and status ... and they had a HUGE HIT with "White Bird" and played a lot of "progressive" concerts in EUROPE (check out the film "Stamping Ground" for a couple of really fiery things by them, and others, of which PF is not the best! Family and Santana were!)

Of all those albums, ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY, probably had more sales and was better known than anyone else! Even PF was not a "known" at that time ... they were mostly known as a stony band, that left behind some far out bootlegs that had some weird stuff, sound effects and quotes by a guy names Syd, that became better known after he was taken out of the band!

It just shows you the DISTORTION of time ... and how it changes. Today, we have heard most of it (I doubt as many folks have even heard of IABD in detailed form!), and make a selection based on our enjoyment of things, however, its historical effect? Zilch. Nada. Even Family was an unknown, maybe with the exception of LONDON. But here they are amidst the favorites.

Weird!
This is an interesting read for someone like me who wasn't born yet - and don't really have any other option than to "understand" 1969 but in hindsight. But I fail to understand why its bad that we care more for High Tide - Sea Shanties now than It's A Beautiful Day. The latter band was way bigger back in the day, but now the former band's music speaks to "us" more. For over 300 years "nobody" knew or cared about Georges De La Tour, but now he is France' most revered baroque painter. He never got the recognition he deserved when he was active (+alive) - and just like High Tide, Comus, Nick Drake or Hilma af Klint I can only think of our rediscoveries, ressurection and revisionism as something positive. They created greater art than most that got all the attention, but now they have an audience while Gilbert O'Sullivan, Peter Frampton and Hyacinthe Rigaud have lost most of theirs.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 25 2019 at 13:40
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 15:08
Thanks to Logan for this list that includes a lot of titles I never listened to.

Voted for Family, Entertainment, even if in my personal ranking "Happy Sad" has got an higher rating, 
because I love Family and I advice to everyone to listen to Family discography.

Entertainment opens with The Weaver's Answer, that I consider one of the most beautiful songs in (prog) rock history.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 16:01
I was expecting a vote from you for Family.  I'm glad to see it get a vote.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Weird!
This is an interesting read for someone like me who wasn't born yet - and don't really have any other option than to "understand" 1969 but in hindsight. But I fail to understand why its bad that we care more for High Tide - Sea Shanties now than It's A Beautiful Day. The latter band was way bigger back in the day, but now the former band's music speaks to "us" more. For over 300 years "nobody" knew or cared about Georges De La Tour, but now he is France' most revered baroque painter. He never got the recognition he deserved when he was active (+alive) - and just like High Tide, Comus, Nick Drake or Hilma af Klint I can only think of our rediscoveries, resurrection and revisionism as something positive. They created greater art than most that got all the attention, but now they have an audience while Gilbert O'Sullivan, Peter Frampton and Hyacinthe Rigaud have lost most of theirs.

I'm no music historian, wasn't yet born in 1969, and other than Pink Floyd's Ummagumma which I first heard in the early 80s that I can recall, I didn't get to know any of the albums in this poll until after the year 2000.  These choices are merely some of my psych tinged favourites from 1969 that are listed in Prog Archives, but most of what I know that relates to Prog Archives I got to know after the creation of this site.  

I would think that most participants in the poll were either born post 60s or if they weren't, would have been too young to be really familiar with the music scene in 1969, but what was popular or particularly well-known in the day, or what one most liked in the day, should not mean that that's what is still most cherished.  Tastes change, fashions change, people progress....

Pedro, you often talk about being "progressive", that implies change, and revisionism is often a part of progression.  I became a teenager in the 80s, but what I most valued from the 80s might well not be what I most valued from the 80s then.  That I didn't know Art Zoyd then, but now love the band, doesn't mean that I would value more popular stuff from the 80s that I knew and liked then.  If one is progressive, than one tries to keep an open mind and ears, and not get too set in ones ways or get too reliant on past expectations.

I rate It's a Beautiful Day highly, I love that album which is why I listed it.  All of these albums I have in my collection and have listened to many times.  Even if it is more historically important than various others here, that doesn't mean that I prefer it.  I opted to vote for Catherine Ribero Ribeiro + 2Bis, an album that doesn't get mentioned much and I doubt many people into the Psych scene in Vancouver, BC where I grew up, would have known that back in the day, or now.  Vancouver had a strong punk scene at one time, but I don't know about other forms of music.

I much prefer IaBD's "Bombay Calling" to the similar Deep Purple's "Child in Time", but "Bombay Calling" gets much less attention and love.  I would like to see all of the acts in this poll get more recognition, and a reason I do polls is to share what I love.

As Saperlipopette! says, there has been a resurrection of much music that was really obscure in the day.  And I find a lot of that stuff musically much more interesting than what was well-known at the time.  The internet has helped bring so much obscure music to the attention of music collectors, some of that which had  a very limited or no proper release.  Some collectors hared it, then labels got interested and re-released or offered the first proper releases of music, and I think has created some kind of a renaissance for certain kinds of music.  Some music that was popular in its day has largely been forgotten by future generations, or has gone out of fashion.   One of the last bands I added to Prog Archives was These Trails, which is an Acid Folk act that had had a very limited release in Hawaii in 1973, but has now come to the attention of a much bigger audience.  Nick Drake and Comus, as said, now have a considerable following.  I love them, and would probably take those over popular music of the day such as Tommy Roe (I only found him by seeing that he was top charting artist in 1969).  Looking at rateyourmusic, his Dizzy album (bubblegum pop) only has three reviews there despite its success back in the day (his single would have been more known, but it only has three ratings there, and no reviews).  Perry Leopold's Chrsitian Lucifer is another of my very favourite albums, but it didn't even get a proper release until 1999 (listed as archival).

Some stats when comparing Sea Shanties with It's a Beautiful Day:

Both have three votes in my poll as favourite of these albums at this time.

At Prog Archives, It's a Beautiful Day has  3.84 with 134 ratings.
At Prog Archives, Sea Shanties has 3.86 with 219 ratings.

At Rate Your Music, It's a Beautiful Day has 3.65 with 1,283 ratings.
At RateYour Music, Sea Shanties has 3.72 with 1,570 ratings.

So yes, Sea Shanties does seem to be the more popular album these days according to those who took part in both sites.  I have read that High Tide has been an influential underground group despite having not not had much commercial success.

Edited by Logan - May 25 2019 at 16:07
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 16:06
No Nick Drake's FLL?? .... 
Well then I get going to an Asylum for the musically Insane.

Edited by Tillerman88 - May 25 2019 at 16:08
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 16:19
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

No Nick Drake's FLL?? .... 
Well then I'll get going to an Asylum for the musically Insane.

That may seem surprising as I am such a big of Nick Drake and I mention that album a lot.  I adore Five Leaves Left, but as I wrote,  I stuck with ones in PA, and I wouldn't describe it as Acid Folk enough. That said, I do relate it to Prog Folk and acid folk albums.  For instance, I would happily recommend "River Man" to those who enjoy Comus' "The Herald".  I actually did think Nick Drake relevant enough to mention in my Acid, freak, wyrd folk and related music.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 03:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was expecting a vote from you for Family.  I'm glad to see it get a vote.

You know me well! Wink
In my personal ranking,
Weaver's Answer 9.5.
Entertainment 8.5, four stars.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>