10 [25.00%]
15 [37.50%]
3 [7.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The First Utterance of the Silent Bottom
    Posted: May 20 2019 at 09:42
The Empty Corner of the Rock Stage & the First Utterance of the Silent Bottom...

Just a short poll...
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:07
The Wyatt slightly edges out the Hammill.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:15
that Wyatt album is imo one very important album for Post rock. It to me feel like a post rock ethos with its free developed and sweet melodies. Kinda think Talk Talk is inspired by the quirky nature of yet Robert is more playfull but the jazzy and pop referances are in a cool twist.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:18
None of those 3 albums do that much for me musically but if forced to pick I would go with Comus....it has some really interesting folk going on.....Hammill never rang my bell and while the Wyatt lp is nice in places it doesn't really grab me either.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:19
It's a toss up between Comus and Robert Wyatt. I am currently listening to the Rock Bottom, but it'll go to Comus for now. Despite that fact, it changes from year to year for me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:49
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

It's a toss up between Comus and Robert Wyatt. I am currently listening to the Rock Bottom, but it'll go to Comus for now. Despite that fact, it changes from year to year for me.

Much as I love the Hammill, to me it's also a toss-up between Comus and Robert Wyatt. Those are both desert island albums for me. Right now I'm feeling the "Bottom" a bit more.

It might be fun to do a poll pitting Genesis' "Wind & Wuthering" against Wyatt's "Rock Bottom". I might entitle the topic "Windy Bottom", butt I won't do it.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:56
1st vote for PH!

Along with In Camera, my fave PH solo album Wink
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Much as I love the Hammill, to me it's also a toss-up between Comus and Robert Wyatt. Those are both desert island albums for me. Right now I'm feeling the "Bottom" a bit more.

It might be fun to do a poll pitting Genesis' "Wind & Wuthering" against Wyatt's "Rock Bottom". I might entitle the topic "Windy Bottom", butt I won't do it.
Or Wyatt vs Procol Harum, Rocky Salty Dog Bottoms
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:12
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Or Wyatt vs Procol Harum, Rocky Salty Dog Bottoms

Nice, I prefer that.    
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:17
Thanks for the fourth option - otherwise I would have just come back later to vote for the one with the least votes.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:43

that Wyatt album is imo one very important album for Post rock. It to me feel like a post rock ethos with its free developed and sweet melodies. Kinda think Talk Talk is inspired by the quirky nature of yet Robert is more playfull but the jazzy and pop referances are in a cool twist.

Good observation! I never had that thought, but I love Rock Bottom to pieces, as well as Talk Talk.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 12:50
Easily Comus 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 13:04
Wyatt > Hammill >> Comus
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 13:21
Best poll title EVAH.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 13:33
Comus

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 15:31
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Good observation! I never had that thought, but I love Rock Bottom to pieces, as well as Talk Talk.
I know Mark Hollis had a dislike for "jazzrock" and I've mainly noticed him namechecking quite a few jazzartists such as John and Alice Coltrane (& Elvin Jones), Miles Davis and impressionist composers such as Debussy and Satie + they the whole band loved Can of course. Doesn't mean they couldn't have been inspired by Rock Bottom, but I'm guessing similarities are coincidental and more because Wyatt was huge fan of jazz creating music within the realms of rock too. Lovely Interview about my favorite Talk Talk-album here (also mentioning Dylan, Love...).

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:27
Wyatt
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:40
Rock Bottom gets my vote.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 23:45

That'd be great! Let's see that poll in action, Logan!Clap
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 06:11
Comus First Utterance - weird, beautiful, and terrifying all at the same time, but totally unique.
Songs cast a light on you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>