Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV series finale! Good, bad, and LOST.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV series finale! Good, bad, and LOST.
    Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:24
LOST? Sopranos? Game of Thrones? The Prisoner? Battlestar Gallactica? Seinfeld? MASH? Mad Men? Breaking Bad? X-Files? Cheers? Babylon 5?

Which ones did you think were smashing, and which ones do you think SUCKED?  Did any live up to the great series you loved and watched for years?  Were any so bad that it ruined your whole day?  Was the ending of the Sopranos brilliance or sh*t?

NOTE: THIS THREAD PROBABLY WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Just a thread to discuss all series endings, and hopefully you can think of some obscure ones along with the famous shows.

For now, I'll start with one I actually liked.  Cheers.  I thought it was perfect. Unassuming, unpretentious, pretty much what I loved about the show's best moments. The guests leave one by one. A mystery guest tries to stop at closing time. Sammy straightens the painting and heads to the pool room. Cheers lives even after the camera stops. No corny event like what Seinfeld tried.  Seinfeld should have written a great dialogue piece that never left the Coffee Shop.

Edited by Finnforest - May 21 2019 at 06:49

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 23:10
I'm pretty surprised at the hate that the Game Of Thrones finale is getting. I mean, yeah, the whole last season wasn't that great overall (aside from the cinematography and such), but I guess it just didn't subvert expectations enough. 

The best series finale I've ever seen just happened last week...Veep. Other various thoughts: General consensus seems to be Six Feet Under is the gold standard for series finales, but I don't watch that show so I can't comment. Cheers' was quite nice, but perhaps a little inflated to an hour and a half. I also enjoyed Frasier's finale, but I wouldn't put it on a pedestal of greatness. Peep Show, my favorite show ever, end was a bit anticlimactic, but I feel like it had to end like that (or a complete 180 and kill off all the major characters). I suppose MASH is probably highly lauded too, but again, I don't watch that.

I didn't mind Seinfeld's ending...not great but pretty in the middle for me. I didn't care for the Sopranos. It was a fine episode, but I just prefer an actual ending. Lost seems to be the general consensus on how not to do an ending. The one that is most reactionary in my immediate circle is How I Met Your Mother. I didn't particularly mind it, but I have a friend who says it ruined the whole series for her. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 00:24
this should probably have a SPOILER ALLERT tag becouse season finale of GOT is so reasent probably smart.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 03:42
Six Feet Under.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 06:50
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

this should probably have a SPOILER ALLERT tag becouse season finale of GOT is so reasent probably smart.

Good point, thanks!  OP has been revised. 

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 06:54
Like a lot of people I think, I didn't care for the Seinfeld finale. It felt wrong somehow. 
Most of the MASH finale also feels wrong to me.

The Cheers finale was perfect. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:00
I didn't hate the ending of Lost like most people did. It's not like they tried to make sense before.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:01
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I'm pretty surprised at the hate that the Game Of Thrones finale is getting. I mean, yeah, the whole last season wasn't that great overall (aside from the cinematography and such), but I guess it just didn't subvert expectations enough. 

The best series finale I've ever seen just happened last week...Veep. Other various thoughts: General consensus seems to be Six Feet Under is the gold standard for series finales, but I don't watch that show so I can't comment. Cheers' was quite nice, but perhaps a little inflated to an hour and a half. I also enjoyed Frasier's finale, but I wouldn't put it on a pedestal of greatness. Peep Show, my favorite show ever, end was a bit anticlimactic, but I feel like it had to end like that (or a complete 180 and kill off all the major characters). I suppose MASH is probably highly lauded too, but again, I don't watch that.

I didn't mind Seinfeld's ending...not great but pretty in the middle for me. I didn't care for the Sopranos. It was a fine episode, but I just prefer an actual ending. Lost seems to be the general consensus on how not to do an ending. The one that is most reactionary in my immediate circle is How I Met Your Mother. I didn't particularly mind it, but I have a friend who says it ruined the whole series for her. 

Thanks for a few ideas there on series to check out. I've not seen all of these.

Veep is one we're slowly working through. Politics is a hard sell for me because I'm so sick of it IRL, but my friend keeps telling me to soldier on, that Veep will pay off. So I do a few eps here and there. It's okay but doesn't strike me as being as funny as either Curb or Seinfeld...mostly insults.  I'll try though. I'll look into Peep Show too. thanks!

Sopranos seemed pretty clear to me that Tony was clipped. There's a few web breakdowns on the show that laboriously piece together the reasons for that conclusion. I liked it a little better after reading those, agreeing that Tony did indeed have his head blown off, but I agree with you generally that I want a real ending on shows....not a pass. That is what made LOST so frustrating as a series, though I had mixed feelings on the ending itself. 

Thrones ending will probably be fine with me. From what I've heard about, I don't expect to be bothered by aspects that are pissing people off.  The darkness of the show, literally, can be a problem on our old TV that exacerbates the issue.  I can't see half the sh*t on that show.  Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:03
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I didn't hate the ending of Lost like most people did. It's not like they tried to make sense before.

I was frustrated by the last three seasons having so many head fakes that would never pay off. But I agree about the finale. I rather enjoyed the spiritual component.  Leaving so many threads unresolved things back on the island was frustrating, but overall the series was really fun.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:05
"Colony" is a cool sci/fi thriller for anyone who is looking for a new show to watch. It has not ended yet though.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:16
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Like a lot of people I think, I didn't care for the Seinfeld finale. It felt wrong somehow. 
Most of the MASH finale also feels wrong to me.

The Cheers finale was perfect. 

I can't even remember MASH's ending. Seinfeld felt so contrived and, basically, just a hugely squandered opportunity to do something way cooler. But it's still one of the greatest series all time. 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:21
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was frustrated by the last three seasons having so many head fakes that would never pay off. But I agree about the finale. I rather enjoyed the spiritual component.  Leaving so many threads unresolved things back on the island was frustrating, but overall the series was really fun.
I had presumed they would never answer every (or any?) question, I just enjoyed the journey, and what a journey it was.

It's better than some shows these days that seem to be written according to reactions on social media.

Edited by Meltdowner - May 21 2019 at 07:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 07:47
^
Absolutely "what a journey it was." We both loved it despite some of my issues with it.  There is a fantastic YT analysis by a hater though. It's like 8 parts and this dude just painstakingly addresses every grievance...it's an anti-LOST manifesto written by a guy who was a fanboy for the first couple seasons. 

This is a long time commitment, but it is hilarious and entertaining. And I learned a lot about stuff I missed during the show. Dude put in a lot of work.  Each part gets a little better as he finds his voice.  I don't agree with him obviously, but it was a great watch.

Edited by Finnforest - May 21 2019 at 07:48

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 09:38
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

LOST? Sopranos? Game of Thrones? The Prisoner? Battlestar Gallactica? Seinfeld? MASH? Mad Men? Breaking Bad? X-Files? Cheers? Babylon 5?

+/- in chronological order

MASH
WKRP in Cincinnati Heart
Cheers Thumbs Up
Married With Children
Ally McBeal (yeah, I admit liking it... at first) Embarrassed
Sex In The City (all men should watch this) Thumbs Up
Sons Of AnarchyNukeCool
Californication (all women should watch this)
Vinyl (only one year, but I was riveted)

worth mentioning
One Day at a Time (for Valerie Bertinelli Heart)
Happy Days (despite the corniness seen from nowadays)
Hung LOL

Did they end well???
TBH, I don't remember many finale, except for MASHSleepy, CheersClap & CalifornicationStar ...
And BTW, I did see on TV those two horrible SitC movies Thumbs Down  .

All I know is that Valerie ended up with EVH instead of meAngry, that stupid twCensoredat... so that one ended up the worstOuch LOL

in recent years, you ask?: none
I never finished season 5 of GOT, didn't get to the end of S1 of Lost, never cared for Seinfeld or Friends, etc...

Edited by Sean Trane - May 21 2019 at 09:45
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 09:41
Six feet Under & Breaking Bad were very good.

Dexter & GOT , Not so much
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:49
I honestly can't remember most series finales anymore from many moons ago. A more recent one that stuck with me was The Middle. I enjoyed that ending. Recently saw The Big Bang Theory. It seemed like a nice enough ending, but the last few seasons were on-and-off bland to me. The Office had a decent ending. ST:TNG had a decent ending too. The 2004 Battlestar Galactica series ending was decent enough, but seemed a bit anticlimactic to me. I can't remember anything else off the top of my head.

To my younger eyes, the ending to Blake's 7 was a bit of a surprise.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:54
It pissed off many, but I loved (the original with Patrick McGoohan) The Prisoner finale episode. I would post my review of it that I wrote a few years before joining this site, if I could find it.

I have yet to see the final season of Game of Thrones as I'm not currently subscribed to HBO (will subscribe again when Westworld comes back in 2020).

A particular favourite series finale of mine was the Black Adder Goes Forth one (I found it so moving).

The worst final episodes for me have been those that left things hanging too much (sometimes with a cliffhanger) and the show was not renewed for another season/series. I'm left wanting more, and questions to be answered, although I do like to come up my own ideas for how things could end and quite like a certain level of ambiguity so that I can come up with my own interpretations rather than having everything spelled out for me.

Two shows of this decade that left me upset that they weren't continued and needed wrapping up were Utopia, which is a brilliant, imo, UK Channel 4 mystery, sci-fi, thriller, drama show from 2013 and 2014) and In the Flesh, which is a BBC zombie, mystery, thriller, drama show also from 2013 and 2014. Both had two series (or seasons for those in the US). Utopia ran for a total of twelve episodes, and In the Flesh 9 had episodes). Both could have wrapped things up very nicely with about three episodes.

I rarely get to the season finale on really long-running shows. I generally prefer shows that don't take super long to wrap up, and often prefer mini-series where everything was through-written in advance.

I guess one that I felt rather lackluster was the ending of Les Revenants (the Returned), which ran for two series/ seasons and 16 episodes. Many felt that series two was very inferior to series one, but I still enjoyed both series/seasons very much.

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I honestly can't remember most series finales anymore from many moons ago. A more recent one that stuck with me was The Middle. I enjoyed that ending. Recently saw The Big Bang Theory. It seemed like a nice enough ending, but the last few seasons were on-and-off bland to me. The Office had a decent ending. ST:TNG had a decent ending too. The 2004 Battlestar Galactica series ending was decent enough, but seemed a bit anticlimactic to me. I can't remember anything else off the top of my head.

How bleak was that Blake's 7 ending? It made everything seem kind of pointless. The show started off dark, and ended dark. I quite recently re-rewatched all of Blake's 7.

Edited by Logan - May 21 2019 at 10:58
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 16:50

TV series finale! Good, bad, and LOST. (or ???)

'ALF' season four two part finale which never aired Part 2.  In the final broadcast of ALF, ALF is captured by federal agents.  The fifth season opener was to be Part 2 but 'ALF' was canceled and Part 2 never aired.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 20:17
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

The Middle? Really? I'll have to go back and watch. I haven't seen the show since Brick was tiny.

BG was a huge bummer to me. I'm into emotional connections, and after five years of intensity between these people, the parting felt strangely detached. I didn't feel anything between them really. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 20:21
Greg, that's a shame about your Prisoner review!  Hope you find it someday.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>