39 [58.21%]
20 [29.85%]
8 [11.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Soft Machine vs Weather Report
    Posted: May 22 2019 at 01:39
From watching a 1970 concert of the Spft, they to me can compete with the best and well renown jazz fusion bands in the US in both groove, melodicisme and band interplay. So who to you carry the heavyest stick in creating the wildest fusion of jazz,rock and what ever.

lets concentrste on the Soft between 60s anf 70s and Weather Report in 70s.

whos yout favs?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 01:45
Das Machine 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 03:30
Weather Report
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 04:16
I only really like the Vitous-era of Report (the first three & the double live)... Don't care that much for the Alphonso Johnson albums (2), and TBH, I really have difficulties with Jaco at the bass (he overdoes everything by tons)

So it's The Machine by a light year.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 06:01
-same as Sean, but maybe not by a whole light year (and despite everything I quite like Black Market).
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 07:03
Weather Report
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 07:28
The Soft Machine takes my vote, but I must admit that Weather Report is quite amazing.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 07:52
I like both a lot

but

Soft Machine
Prog On!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 09:12
Soft Machine for sure.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 09:40
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

-same as Sean, but maybe not by a whole light year (and despite everything I quite like Black Market).

OK, that was maybe somewhat of an exaggeration...

Let's say a whole light week WinkTongueBig smileLOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 10:20
I like the Softs, but Weather Report at the height of their powers was a moving fortress.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 10:40
Jaco, Shorter, Zawinul, Erskine.... Tough to beat that lineup so Weather Report. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 11:29
My favorite Weather Report line-up is the Zawinul, Shorter, Vitous line-up of the early albums. I especially enjoy I Sing the Body Electric and the debut.

I first heard WR with Jaco as it came very highly recommended, but it didn't appeal much to me.   I became a fan of Weather Report after hearing the early albums (they're more my taste).

Anyway, much as I really like early Weather Report, it's still an easy vote for Soft Machine from me. I especially love the first few albums, and Third has remained one of my very favourite albums for many years.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 12:04
Third of course but then a little later I really loved Soft's (and Bundles) - and still do up to this day !
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 16:42
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Jaco, Shorter, Zawinul, Erskine.... Tough to beat that lineup so Weather Report. 
What about Jaco, Shorter, Zawinul, Thompson (Chester Thompson).  Either way Weather Report gets my vote.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 18:11
Soft Machine are one of my favourite prog bands, so my vote goes to them.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 18:49
Def Soft Machine... now if you had put them up against the Mahavishnu Orchestra, then my answer would be different.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 21:45
Softs

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 08:09
Hi,

An interesting comparison, but a sad one ... SM came out of an era that was exploring a lot of different things, and it went on to improvise a lot, although it became a bit more formulaic AFTER the advent of Robert Wyatt ... 

Weather Report was way much more "American" in that it was much more song/composition oriented, with various small amounts of expression in between, be they the bass, the drums or anything else. 

It's hard to "define" which is better, because they were a part of a time that was so different ... if they both had been in London, or NY, I would say that this was a good try, but it was quite a few years apart, and completely different scenes altogether that created the music they did. 

I will abstain, although I know in my heart that I can hum along with one or two pieces by Weather Report, and I know I can not do that with SM. And yes, SM3 is an album that I lived with a long time ... like right since 1972 or so ... when there was no Weather Report.

It's a very strange poll for me, because you are asking which is better ... Beethoven or Stravinsky ... and I'm not sure that is representative of anything except someone that does not look at music in a didactic and learned look, to see why there are differences. It makes this look like just a bunch of songs from the same day and time ... and they are different because THEY AREN'T.

A favorite is like saying that you like Bardot better then Lollobrigida or Loren!

SILLY!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 10:16
^oh don't be sad. I just went for my overall favorite - and Soft Machine has meant so much to me over the years. No matter how much I treasure WR at the very beginning while they were still genuinely exiting and progressive in the truest sense - I can't say the same about them. But I don't consider one of the bands to be better than the other. I'd say I prefer Beethoven and Loren over your other options as well but not as is saying that they are "better" either. I prefer my wife over most other women. Its just a preference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>