Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unexpected prog reference II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexpected prog reference II
    Posted: May 22 2019 at 22:12
This is a continuation of an unfortunately neglected but important thread that IMO should be allowed to live:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86643

For (re)starters, I just found this:

https://www.gocomics.com/frazz/2019/05/22

Edited by AreYouHuman - May 22 2019 at 22:13
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 04:59
Would be better if you inserted hyperlinks.
Progfan97402 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan97402 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 21:02
In 1986 I owned Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar for my Atari 800XL computer and in the game you have to visit the Seer Hawkwind frequently to see how you're progressing on each of the eight virtues of the Avatar. At that time, I never heard of Hawkwind and I associated Hawkwind with the Ultima game. I was only 13 at the time and my knowledge of music was limited and the closest to prog I was exposed to was mainly through my parents copies of Genesis' Abacab and self-entitled 1983 album, as well as Yes' 90125 (all on cassette), which were obviously much more pop-oriented than their earlier stuff. Years later I not only discovered Hawkwind and started buying their albums but amused to see a 1980s computer game referencing Hawkwind.

Also years ago as America was invading Libya, the military named one of their combat operations as "Odyssey Dawn", Jon Stewart, who was still with the Daily Show at the time said, "You really named a combat operation after a Yes album?" In which the cover to Tales From Topographic Oceans was displayed on the screen with the title "Odyssey Dawn" on top. Obviously Stewart was poking fun that the operation "Odyssey Dawn" reminded him of a Yes album title. I found the link to the Daily Show clip referencing Odyssey Dawn and Yes:

Edited by Progfan97402 - May 27 2019 at 15:42
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 08:58
I agree that this thread is great and deserves to be alive. So here is the hyperlink.

(I post my original post in the other thread below Embarrassed )

Edited by Formentera Lady - June 01 2023 at 09:39
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 09:09
This thread here Prog in unexpected public places. - Progressive Rock Music Forum - Page 1 (progarchives.com)
is kind of the equivalent to the thread that you bumped.  
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 09:38
Thank you, that was the thread I was looking for! Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply