Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member - looking for recommendations!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 07:17
You could do worse than checking some of these out:

Ange - Au delà du délire (for a start)
Le Orme (Collage and their three next albums)
Campo Di Marte - st (as you mention that Biglietto-song)
Peter Hammill - Over  as a start since you mention Refugees. After the short opening track its all very beautiful and melanholic - or sad.

egillhardar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egillhardar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 12:30
Hello everyone.

I'm a new member here but I've been using the site for years. Thank you all so much for your posts and your knowledge. It has been incredibly helpful in my search for good music.

I am a huge fan of Wobbler and I think I've listened to "From silence to somewhere" almost daily since it came out. My question to you all is:

What symphonic prog albums, from the last 20 years or so, would you recommend that either sound like or are musically similar to Wobbler's fantastic release?

Thank you.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 12:47
Three albums I recommend are:

Änglagård - Viljans Öga

All Traps On Earth - A Drop Of Light

Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 12:55
Oh man... This is going to be hard, but few albums are as good as "From Silence to Somewhere" from the last 20 years. I can't think of any, but some people here might be able to help you.
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 14:04
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

So lets make some kind of list then :)

Balletto di bronzo - introduzione, such a great italiano song
Renaissance - Song of schereazade, you don't see female prog rock singers that often
Peter Hammill - A louse is not a home
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn part 1 (Dark room, put headphones at maximum and enjoy an experience of a lifetime)
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom (not an easy album to get into, dark prog at it's finest)
Opeth - Faith in others, undeniable newborn classic, please listen this one.

I saw you put PFM's Appena Un Po' in the best prog intro thread, so I know you've got taste already. :)

* Balletto di bronzo - Introduzione. Cool intro to this song too. It's a bit too much of a jam for me, too much manic drums & keyboard. I guess I'm more of a melodic type listener. They're definitely cool but it's not clicking for me, at least yet.
* Renaissance - Scheherazade. Yes, forgot to list Renaissance. They're not one of my top bands, but I definitely really like that album. And yes, wish there were more female vocals.
* Peter Hammill - A Louse Is Not a Home. Best suggestion yet! Hammill is such an interesting artist, and this is the first solo number of his that I have heard and appreciated (haven't explored a lot). I'm going to add this album to my Spotify (even sounds like I might appreciate other tracks more, since I prefer his singing style voice to his growling style voice, haha). What are your favorite VDGG and Hammill tracks?
* Oldfield - Ommadawn part 1. Ok, I think I'm starting to get him a bit. I find it harder to get into instrumentals, but this had a lot of beautiful parts. I definitely can't fully get into the whole thing yet (I can say the same with Tubular Bells, which is probably heresy), but I get there's something there now.
* Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom. Yeah, had heard this once before, and I still can't get into it. It's too bad, because there are some great sounds here, like the intros to Sea Song and Little Red Riding Hood (love trumpets). But honestly I find his voice annoying, haha.
* Opeth - Faith in Others. Great intro. Not so much into it once the full band/vocals kick in, but totally get that this is a solid composition.

Thanks, appreciated these! A little bit on the darker/moodier side of my range (apart from Renaissance of course!), but glad to have added some solo Hammill and Oldfield to my library. Those guys deserve some more exploration for sure.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 21:41
Originally posted by AKDiamond AKDiamond wrote:

Hi all!

Been reading this forum for a while now, and really enjoying it. The polls, recommendations, and appreciation threads have helped me discover lots of new music. 

Welcome.

As an old foggy here, I tend to make different suggestions, but the greatest help in finding music and determining what was right for me, was learning it on my own ... sight unseen ... like ... and not knowing anything about it.

Nowadays, there are too many opinions, and the sad side of that is that most folks don't seem to know how to circumvent that in order to make an opinion on their own ... and all they become (generally more or less of course) is ... just another fan ... they like one song and the rest of the album might as well go back to the drawing board.

In the end, no musician or composer is that vain. There is a reason, and a method to a lot of what they did, and do, and the "progressive" listing of groups has been nice in helping us find many of them and keep them alive, but I have to tell you that over these last 50 years, specially in the first 20, the greatest admiration and love I had was .... LISTENING TO ALL THE NEW STUFF ... and not knowing s single thing about it!

I was scared poopless when I first heard "Mysterious Semblance for the Strand of Nightmares" (Tangerine Dream), and it bothered me for a couple of days ... and then I woke up, and decided to go get the album, and I found it to be one of the prettiest things ever recorded and played ... it's turns and twists and beauty, was unmatched ... specially by some/any rock band out there ... this is the meaning of music ... not just a song!

50 years later, now at almost 69, I miss having those feelings when listening to new music ... everyone has a comment about Neal Morse and his band, and when I heard it, I ended up disappointed ... it had nothing new in it, specially lyrics that were old and tired ... some nice stuff, I will grant ... but somewhere along the line, your head is going to put those in the "2nd rate" section, and it won't feature in many song listing or CD you put together for your car (like I do! -- 100 bands you don't know in 40 CD's!) ... and you will find that ... wow ... that was cool and nice!

Maybe it's just me. Listening to a "song", and then repeating it, and hearing it again tomorrow, lessens the quality for me ... once you have "experienced" the feeling inside, the ability to replay it inside is not as good, and the effect dies off. People will still have favorite, and sometimes not know why ... but this is rare for me ... I can pinpoint all the images and details around anything I hear, and where it connects and why. Some is fine, and some is weird, and some if off its rocker ... but that's what all of us are made of.

I just would like to recommend ... that a certain percentage of your listening, be nothing that is listed here, so to speak, so that you develop a side ear for a lot more music ... something that is not everyone's favorites, because they don't understand it or know it, or can explain it to their friends ... I happen to like/love The Edgar Broughton Band ... and one of my old friends once said ... what horrible vocals ... and he did not hear a single thing. I played for him a poet (Ginsburg) reading his stuff ... and he didn't get it either ... he was not a "listener" ... he got seduced by a melody and learned the 5 words around it and that was his enjoyment.

Or worse ... I played "Ozric Tentacles" to a friend once at mom's place (lake in the mountains), and it is instrumental all the time ... he liked the beat and the guitar, but a minute into it, he looks at me, and goes ... "where's the lyrics?" ... and I said there's none ... it's all music ... and that was it, he was not listening anymore because the lyrics were not telling him how to feel!

My thoughts? Try, it might not be easy these days ... to make your own recommendations and surprise yourself ... it will give you far more enjoyment of music than anything else ... even early FAUST would make sense then ... which makes it more fun!

Edited by moshkito - May 24 2019 at 21:46
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 00:38

Whoa, you all are great, thanks!! Will check these out and get back. 

By the way, welcome to PA!  This is a great place to learn about prog music, we all have eclectic & varied tastes....looks like you fit right in! Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 07:20
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Whoa, you all are great, thanks!! Will check these out and get back. 

By the way, welcome to PA!  This is a great place to learn about prog music, we all have eclectic & varied tastes....looks like you fit right in! Clap

Yes, indeed.

My previous post is long, this one will be shorter!

Here is how I "found" PH/VdGG ... in 1970 .... by that time I was already going around the used bins on many record stores in Southern California, and in there you always found a lot of stuff ... some really bad, some really good, and some ... wtf is that?

I came across an album ... H to He that AM the only one ... and I looked at the cover and said ... jeezus ... what will people think of next. It made no sense, and the cover was weird, and the album just stood there, looking much better than Mad Dogs and English Men ... and Sgt. Pepper's 12 old copies on scratched vinyl.

I kept looking. Came across "Quatermass" ... wow that's a cover ... gotta have that one, regardless .... remember that in that time no one knew about these things and no one played them! So I have one album ... and then came across a funny cover of a guy smoking, taking a nap ... looked like he didn't give a darn, about something or other, or was just stoned. I like the attitude and picked it up ... Kevin Ayers ... and then I started leaving (only had $20 dollars for albums!), and the guy at the counter goes ... grab another one and you can have them for $20. So I got that "H to He" album, figuring that sometimes some of these albums end up right back here in this same bin!

When I put that on, and heard it, I was stunned.

Today, my collection has over 85% of all PH and VdGG and I have never looked back ... no one did poetry and expression better in rock music ... and finding it was a treat ... the kind that you really can't get here and find here ... because everyone has something to say ... and this is the strength of your internal ... search ... however you want to call it.

Develop that ... you'll never regret it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 07:58
^So, what was the album with the guy smoking or taking a nap?Wink
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 09:03
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 09:06
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 10:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Very specific taste, maybe --

Duncan Mackay
National Health
Yezda Urfa
Dice
U.K.
The Web
Pentwater

Good luck !

Awesome suggestions, thank you!

Duncan Mackay, Chimera - Interesting album indeed, had never heard of it. A touch keyboard heavy for me, but definitely adding this one to my library! Morpheus is a cool track.

National Health, Of Queues and Cures - I had heard this maybe once before. I get that they are extremely talented and unusual, but I don't know, I just can't really get into it. I guess just too much instrumental fooling around for me.

Yezda Urfa - Now we're talking! Wish they had this album on streaming. I had already actually saved Sacred Baboon to my library though and completely forgotten.

Dice - Similar comment to National Health, I think. Seem cool and all but hasn't grabbed me at least yet.

I'll take a look at those other three soon. Too much good stuff to check out isn't a bad problem to have!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 10:52

Duncan Mackay, Chimera - Interesting album indeed, had never heard of it. A touch keyboard heavy for me, but definitely adding this one to my library! Morpheus is a cool track.

No such thing. LOL

Yezda Urfa - Now we're talking!

Check out another USA one-shot, Mirthrandir. Their 1976 album is For You the Old Women.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 15:09
Great that you liked at least a few of them :) yea I focused more on in the darker/moodier side on this one. You already had listened most of Genesis and Yes (Awaken is 10/10) so I couldn't suggest them haha. Have you checked out more King Crimson yet? I really love, the first album, Lizard, Larks and Red...
Vdgg/PH - One of my favourite bands of all time. I use to hate them but now I can understand them :D A louse is not a home is an ultimate song from them indeed :) I could make a long list of my favourites by them but here are a few.. 
- PH, Black Room/The tower (some "growling" tho :))
- PH, The lie (Bernini saint theresa), same album as Louse. One of the greates vocal performances on all time
- PH, Time Heals, I just like the groove of this one, next ones are VDGG
- House with no door
- Refugees
- Boat  of millions years
- Plague of the lighthouse keepers
- Man-erg
- Still-Life (incredible)
- Darkness 11/11

I could go forever :D

Edited by Foxprog - May 28 2019 at 15:10
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 17:56
You can always go on Progfreak and listen to new bands being added there. I've discovered some interesting music that way. Some new bands get lost in the pile but deserve a listen. Sometimes I tend to get stuck listening to the same bands over and over again. This is a good way to break out of a rut. Great for doing the elliptical, too. When you get more comfortable, you can rate the bands too.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 21:10

Very specific taste, maybe --
Duncan Mackay
National Health
Yezda Urfa
Dice
U.K.
The Web
Pentwater

Good luck !
Awesome suggestions, thank you!

National Health, Of Queues and Cures - I had heard this maybe once before. I get that they are extremely talented and unusual, but I don't know, I just can't really get into it. I guess just too much instrumental fooling around for me.

Yezda Urfa - Now we're talking! Wish they had this album on streaming. I had already actually saved Sacred Baboon to my library though and completely forgotten.

Dice - Similar comment to National Health, I think. Seem cool and all but hasn't grabbed me at least yet.

I'll take a look at those other three soon. Too much good stuff to check out isn't a bad problem to have!

Good to hear.   Yeah the Urfa is hard to beat--  probably the finest US prog band,  well,  ever.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 07:17

U.K.
The Web
Pentwater

Good luck !

Ok, this list just kept on giving.

Firstly, just to mention Yezda Urfa again... phew. Something as simple (comparatively) as "Boris and His Three Verses" just reeks of beauty and creativity. They have a groove and a mood, if you know what I mean. I feel like there are bands that only have one or the other, and you need both for it to hit the spot. This is not just in my library now, but I know I'm going to get into it, which is a great feeling as you all know!

That's kind of not how I feel about U.K. though, honestly. For me, they have a great groove, but they don't really set quite the right mood. I think I like songs that are less riff-based, with more of that kind of feeling of flowing ideas (not that all of their songs follow what I'm saying, but they certainly love their riff-based numbers). (You can see I'm really technical in my understanding, haha.) But I think there is more to be appreciated from them than I am getting at the moment. 

I honestly don't know if these rules-of-thumb I'm making up about what I like are actually always true in the end. Maybe it honestly just comes down to the kind of sound, the "vibe," and where my head is at (it's a fun part of listening to new music, that it teaches you more about your own senses, I think). I'll keep them in my library and come back to it later. Thanks for pointing out Danger Money to me, since I was only aware of their self-titled album.

The Web. Yes! Awesome. The broad sound, the strong but interesting vocals, the jazzy flavor (love the vibes and horns). Not much more to say at the moment, except I'm sure this one is going to get some play!

So, Pentwater. This was the funniest experience. The first track comes on: "Oh no, I don't think I like this. Not for me. Kind of interesting sounding, but nope, nope." Almost junked it right there. Then the keyboard break in the second track rolls around the second time: "Ok, this is absolutely amazing and beautiful. Holy god." What a track. The first vocal section sounds so ordinary the first time around, but after the keyboard section it seems the perfect complement. Honestly, this might have just jumped into my list of favorite songs of the moment.

Favorite new discoveries so far, in no order:
Yezda Urfa
The Web
Pentwater
Peter Hammil's solo stuff
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 07:27
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

Great that you liked at least a few of them :) yea I focused more on in the darker/moodier side on this one. You already had listened most of Genesis and Yes (Awaken is 10/10) so I couldn't suggest them haha. Have you checked out more King Crimson yet? I really love, the first album, Lizard, Larks and Red...
Vdgg/PH - One of my favourite bands of all time. I use to hate them but now I can understand them :D A louse is not a home is an ultimate song from them indeed :) I could make a long list of my favourites by them but here are a few.. 
- PH, Black Room/The tower (some "growling" tho :))
- PH, The lie (Bernini saint theresa), same album as Louse. One of the greates vocal performances on all time
- PH, Time Heals, I just like the groove of this one, next ones are VDGG
- House with no door
- Refugees
- Boat  of millions years
- Plague of the lighthouse keepers
- Man-erg
- Still-Life (incredible)
- Darkness 11/11

I could go forever :D

I'm going to go through this list soon, thanks! But just wanted to quickly say: "House with No Door" - yes! I should have mentioned that as my VDGG example, even above Refugees. What a heartbreakingly beautiful song. 

You know, I think some of their songs have turned me off by their difficulty, like you say happened to you. I think PH just has so much creative genius that I should definitely have a proper explore!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 07:28

I think it depends on the time and place ... VdGG is outstanding in GODBLUFF and STILL LIFE (that supposedly according to their bio at the time for radio, was going to be a double album, btw!!!) ... and H to HE also fits into this far out moments.

But, in many ways, I really like PH's solo stuff way better, and play it a lot more. From this list:

The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage (February 1974)
In Camera (July 1974)
Nadir's Big Chance (February 1975)
Over (April 1977)
The Future Now (September 1978)
pH7 (September 1979)
A Black Box (August 1980)
Skin (March 1986)
And Close As This (November 1986)
Out of Water (February 1990)
X My Heart (March 1996)
Everyone You Hold (June 1997)

... are some of the stuff I love the most ... and OVER and SKIN stand out huge for me, as does the title song to OUT OF WATER. Thus, this list far stretches past VdGG .... which I like a lot, but for some reason the later material just did not catch me as strongly as those 20 years in solo albums.
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 13:44

Yezda Urfa
The Web
Pentwater
U.K.

Good luck !
Ok, this list just kept on giving.

Firstly, just to mention Yezda Urfa again... phew. Something as simple (comparatively) as "Boris and His Three Verses" just reeks of beauty and creativity. They have a groove and a mood, if you know what I mean. I feel like there are bands that only have one or the other, and you need both for it to hit the spot. This is not just in my library now, but I know I'm going to get into it, which is a great feeling as you all know!

The Web. Yes! Awesome. The broad sound, the strong but interesting vocals, the jazzy flavor (love the vibes and horns). Not much more to say at the moment, except I'm sure this one is going to get some play!

So, Pentwater. This was the funniest experience. The first track comes on: "Oh no, I don't think I like this. Not for me. Kind of interesting sounding, but nope, nope." Almost junked it right there. Then the keyboard break in the second track rolls around the second time: "Ok, this is absolutely amazing and beautiful. Holy god." What a track. The first vocal section sounds so ordinary the first time around, but after the keyboard section it seems the perfect complement. Honestly, this might have just jumped into my list of favorite songs of the moment.

Favorite new discoveries so far, in no order:
Yezda Urfa
The Web
Pentwater

I had exactly the same experience with Pentwater--  a lesson in not giving up after one cut!

"The production could be better for such a talented outfit and the material may not seem too distinguished or attractive at first, but the gold is abundant and these guys should delight lovers of good old fashioned prog when it wasn't afraid to lighten-up and have a good time. A wonderful surprise, this release, and should be snagged if seen by any vintage prog nut."

And my love affair with YU is as strong as ever.  I really should dig out Boris and listen, it's been too long ~

Edited by Atavachron - May 30 2019 at 13:53
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>