Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lingus to Eclectic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lingus to Eclectic
    Posted: May 25 2019 at 14:16
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 16:08
submitted to the crossover team, not eclectic enough imho

mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2019 at 16:58
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

submitted to the crossover team, not eclectic enough imho

I'm just wondering how come a band that I recommended and they make it, I don't get the credit of adding the band to PA? Like this one for example, I have more... 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2019 at 17:33
Because you didn't actually add the band to PA, you only suggested it.

I'm assuming you didn't write the bio yourself...

Only 5 star people can physically add bands at this site, and the default is that the name of the one logged-in who adds it has his or her name listed as the adder. One can go back in and edit that to another name, and I have done this quite a few times when other people prepared the addition (written original bios, provided the band picture), but I don't know that it's good practice in various ways and it's not policy (I wouldn't expect it, but it could possibly lead to some abuse and "paper trails" can be useful). Even adding the info after it's all been prepared is rather time-consuming.

Preparing an addition can take me considerable hours to do because of the research (wanting to look at as many sources as I can find), listening to the album again and again for musical references, adding my own creative juice and voice for added originality (I have at times favoured obscurities from the late 60s and early 70s that are a bit out-of-the-box, and that can present some challenges and more time building a case). It doesn't mean the results are good, and I can start to get a bit silly as silly is my default if I don't rein it in. Others are faster at this, and not so excessive, and then preparing the discography. The amount of work this can entail could scare off many from attempting it.

If you haven't been writing the bios for that which you propose, one way to get credit is to write a good, original bio and sign it with your name, then that will be seen in the bio at least if accepted. I think it's good to offer to prepare the addition of the ones you suggest and that would really help the teams.   Don't write it unless they agree, as otherwise that would be a waste of your energies. I've actually thought before that perhaps it should be the expectation that those who make the suggestion be prepared to prepare the materials for addition (we've had suggestion spammers in the past who seem to just spend their time searching bandcamp or whatever and will suggest just about anything that might fit -- think they just look through tags, and then we get some who suggest without even having yet listened to the whole album, or just sampled it, and we get those who haven't put enough thought into category placement before making the suggestion, or take the time to write a reasonably thorough suggestion thread...).

That said not all bios are that original, some are long, some are short, and sometimes one will email the band for info, although one would likely at least edit that somewhat, especially if it's all praising.

A lot of effort goes into evaluation and additions, and of course well-prepared, thorough suggestion threads can be very time-consuming as well. Personally, I take some pride in some of the suggestion threads that I have made, and whether I add it or not, I am happy that something is accepted and found its way into PA. If I didn't care about it being here, I wouldn't bother to create a topic for it or suggest it.

And of course, one can also get one's name associated with it by writing reviews once it is added if one cares about recognition, or just wants to share one's thoughts on it and get the word out. But for me, I take enjoyment in researching and writing out my suggestion, and any discussion that results in the thread. It's so gratifying to me when someone discovers music they like thanks to one of my posts, and I personally wouldn't suggest music that doesn't personally excite or interest me in some way (I like it when it's something different). Quality is more important to quantity to me, not that the qualities I appreciate will be appreciated by everyone.

Edited by Logan - June 20 2019 at 18:09
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply