Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most underrated prog band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 18:07
IMO, Coheed and Cambria is incredibly underrated. I think that their music has lots of great emotion, and their composition is really quite excellent. Their 2003 album In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 especially I feel is an underrated masterpiece, but lots of their other albums, notably the Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV albums and the Afterman albums, are very good as well. I think people don't like them because of all of it is pretty emo, but I don't mind it at all personally. 
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 20:04
I'll probably get laughed at for saying this but I think it's Yes. Sure they are household names(and then some)in prog circles but outside of prog circles they are probably only known by a handful of classic rock fans as that band who did owner of a lonely heart and roundabout and not much else. Yes deserve to be as well known outside of prog circles as Rush and Pink Floyd(and Genesis)but sadly they aren't so for me they are the most under rated. Even among younger prog fans I don't think they are as well known as they should be. I bet there are a lot of guys in their twenties who have music(probably downloads or vinyl records since young folks don't buy cdsTongue)by Between the Buried and me, Mastodon, Opeth, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Coheed and Cambria, the Mars Volta and even Pink Floyd, Rush and King crimson but no Yes.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 29 2019 at 20:09
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 20:57
Probably the ones that haven't been rated at all Big smile

And to AFlowerKingCrimson, Yes? Really? LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friday13th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 21:01
Yes only has the highest rated album on this website! So underrated! LOL
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 21:09
Pulsar, Sensations' Fix, Anekdoten, Solaris, Sinkadus. Most underrated band overall: tie between dada and Concrete Blonde.
PROGMATIC
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 21:17
For me it is Maxophone...

Although there appear to be only one album (or so) -their homonym- I find it highly enjoyable and well rounded: both the italian and the english lyrics versions alike; since this is an album where all songs are, IMO, of premium quality (something rare in albums from less well known bands, outside big six, etc., and a hallmark on the contrary); some are headbangable in the prog sense, some very delicate, with the finest classical guitar extracts and a falsetto which I yearn in more prog bands, so well employed (among other reasons, why I like Yes so much); others highlight the symphonic side, with horns and the like with a reference there to Bartok's Concerto for orchestra. But, when talking RPI, I miss it being mentioned more frequently alongside the Premiatas and the likes.

Edited by Machinemessiah - May 29 2019 at 21:18
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 21:20
siLLy puPPy is right! Look at all the new bands on Progfreak that need reviewing. There ARE some good ones.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 23:24
I'll probably get laughed at for saying this but I think it's the Beatles.....they are so great, not sure why everyone does not like them
LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 00:30
nowadays ELP 

serious answer though might be Par Lindh Project . The first three albums are all unique symphonic prog albums chock full of superb musicianship and just about everything you could want from the genre. However for some reason they never get the same attention as say Anglagard which is ironic considering that Parl Lindh was the prime mover in creating The Swedish Art Rock Society from which Anglagard came. 

In terms of the seventies I would go for Be Bop Deluxe.  Bill Nelson - was there really ever a more talented guitarist and song writer? Everyone should do themselves a favour and grab the deluxe edition of Sunburst Finish.
FXM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FXM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 03:47
Jade Warrior - I have had for some time the four Island Records releases which were reissued by Eclectic Discs in 2006 and thought they were quite good. But it is only recently that I got their first three releases (S/t, Released and Last Autumn's Dream) plus two that were recorded in 1973 but not released until 1998 (Eclipse and Fifth Element) and thought that there were really excellent - much better than the instrumental Island Records albums.

Fruupp are another underrated band who released four great albums.

Edited by FXM - May 30 2019 at 14:29
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 04:01
What about Sloche? Maybe Maneige?

All those Quebec bands deserve much more recognition.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 10:18
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

Jade Warrior - I have had for some tine the four Island Records releases which were reissued by Eclectic Discs in 2006 and thought they were quite good. But it is only recently that I got their first three releases (S/t, Released and Last Autumn's Dream) plus two that were recorded in 1973 but not released until 1998 (Eclipse and Fifth Element) and though that there were really excellent - much better than the instrumental Island Records albums.
I was thinking Jade Warrior myself. So eclectic and diverse, ever before the Island recordings, yet never sounding like anything but Jade Warrior. My personal favorite is Last Autumn's Dream. Tony Duhig is also an underrated guitarist - just listen to him on the Horizen album and the song Death of Ra from Way of the Sun.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 10:47
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'll probably get laughed at for saying this but I think it's the Beatles.....they are so great, not sure why everyone does not like them
LOL

I understand they're influential, but I'm just not "into them." Wink
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 10:47
It's mostly subjective of course and it depends on how you compare it with other bands. Below is a somewhat random list (some already mentioned earlier) that I feel are underrated, not necessarily with the "Big Six," but more or less, with other comparable bands. Admittedly, some of these are probably underrated simply because they only made one album, or had a short lifespan.

Ascorbic Acid
Apogee
Pentwater
Flamborough Head
Citizen Cain
Conqueror (Italian band)
ExCubus
Galleon
Eyestrings
Eccentric Orbit
Versus X
Efecto
Et Cetera (Canadian band)
Alex Carpani
Blue Effect (aka Modry Efekt)
Zombi
Yezda Urfa
The Watch
Visible Wind
The Underground Railroad
Triumvirat 
The Tangent
Tale Cue
Solaris
Simon Says
Sebastian Hardie
Runaway Totem
RPWL
Renaissance
Refugee
Rainbow Theatre
Quella Vecchia Locanda
Pollen
Paatos
The Othello Syndrome
Nexus (from Argentina)
Mikromidas
Mezquita
Malibran
Magenta
Little Atlas
Liquid Scarlet
Kaipa
IZZ
Steve Hillage solo
Grobschnitt
Greenslade
Glass Hammer
Kevin Gilbert
Finch
England
Egg
Echolyn
Devil Doll
Cell15
Carpe Nota
La Coscienza di Zeno
Códice
Cliffhanger
Cheeto's Magazine
Castle Canyon
Cast
Camera Chiara
Cairo (American band, 1994-2001)
Brighteye Brison
Emmanuel Booz [for his Dans quel état j'erre album]
Blue Mammoth
Black Bonzo
Birds and Buildings
Bijou
Bigelf
Beardfish
Bacamarte
Babylon
Aurora Lunare
Atoll
Astra
Asia Minor
Ars Nova (Japanese band)
Argos
Anyone's Daughter
Anima Mundi
Anima Morte
Alpha Lighting System
Alco Frisbass
Alphataurus
Airlord
Airbag
Spock's Beard (seriously!)

Edited by progaardvark - May 30 2019 at 10:49
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 10:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

nowadays ELP 

serious answer though might be Par Lindh Project . The first three albums are all unique symphonic prog albums chock full of superb musicianship and just about everything you could want from the genre. However for some reason they never get the same attention as say Anglagard which is ironic considering that Parl Lindh was the prime mover in creating The Swedish Art Rock Society from which Anglagard came.

Yeah, PLP deserves better. And while the albums are all "symph," they're certainly not cookie cutter. Veni Vidi Vici is significantly different (better?) than Mundus Incompertus. RIP Magda.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 11:31
Awesome list. Some random thoughts:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

ExCubus

Mémoires Incubussiennes was a pleasant surprise, indeed.

Eccentric Orbit

Great band. Bill Noland is a really cool guy, too.

Zombi

One of my faves (as if you can't tell). Their Goblin-meets-John Carpenter-meets Tangerine Dream sound is exactly what the doctor ordered. They maintain a loyal following, but it should be bigger. And they need to make a new album. But they do make solo albums as well, so I'm just grateful for the body of work they've thus far released. Everyone should dig these guys.

Tale Cue

It is such a huge bummer they never recorded a follow-up. One of my favorite one-shot bands. Laura Basra, where did you go?!

Nexus (from Argentina)

Another forgotten band from the same neck (and time) of the woods is Supernova. I don't think they ever got past the one album, and it's our loss. Great female vocals, keys, drums, and 5-string bass. No lead guitar!

I'll also add Chile's Matraz, whose Gritaré enjoyed many, many hours in my player for many months when it was new. 

Códice

Definitely. I saw these guys perform nearly 20 years ago and they were awesome. Their OOP double CD Alba Y Ocaso is a gem.

Spock's Beard (seriously!)

Say what? LOL
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 12:39
Aye. Par lindh so unknown, when I ordered his entire back catologue from the web. Each one was signed by the man himself...
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 16:37
I will go with Nektar.

Unless I'm talking to progressive rock knowledgeable types, no one has heard of them.

I think Remember the Future is an absolutely brilliant, top-tier prog album.  And, I think Albrighton has a unique guitar style.  
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 18:15
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

The Mercury Tree! They play eclectic/avant-prog with microtonal tuning. SO UNIQUE. I just saw them play live last month and they're currently capping off their US tour. It boggled my mind that they could replicate their last album with 17 EDO guitars. This song "Vestments" is like Discipline King Crimson meets Harry Partch. Best new prog band around IMO

I totally agree.  "Spidermilk" is one of my favorite releases this year.  I am very impressed with their music!

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 18:47
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Yes only has the highest rated album on this website! So underrated! LOL

Still more under rated than King Crimson. There I said it. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>