Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most underrated prog band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2020 at 23:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

What's the difference then between "I believe it's so good that it should be rated higher" and "I like it a lot, and many don't"?

There isn't any difference, but in order to rate you need to listen to these bands and unfortunately once you get past the major prog bands who listens to any others. Those bands underrated are usually those that people don't listen to. 
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2023 at 23:48
The most underrated prog band, in my opinion, is Galahad.
barbera View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 03:42
Gentle Giant.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 05:19
Spock's Beard.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 10:18
I always thought Happy The Man deserved more notice.
They don;t have any 4 star ratings though I feel the first two deserve  that.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 10:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I remember when I first got online in the late 90s and started looking up prog and going on the newsgroups HTM were actually talked about very highly and some even called them the greatest US prog band. However, these days they are rarely mentioned especially on this website which is a shame. 

Another band that has been even more "lost in the sauce" than Happy the Man are Mastermind. They were for a little while one of the leading US prog bands back in the 90s but then at some point they all but disappeared. Rich Berends now plays a version of his band in South America so technically they live on but they haven't received the credit they deserve in a very long time. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 11:04
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I remember when I first got online in the late 90s and started looking up prog and going on the newsgroups HTM were actually talked about very highly and some even called them the greatest US prog band. However, these days they are rarely mentioned especially on this website which is a shame. 

Another band that has been even more "lost in the sauce" than Happy the Man are Mastermind. They were for a little while one of the leading US prog bands back in the 90s but then at some point they all but disappeared. Rich Berends now plays a version of his band in South America so technically they live on but they haven't received the credit they deserve in a very long time. 
Thumbs Up
Which Mastermind do you recommend....?

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 13:33

They don't have any 4 star ratings though I feel the first two deserve  that.

I agree Thumbs Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 16:10
^ I rated Death's Crown five stars back in '06
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 16:11
Morgan
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 16:36

Thumbs Up

I would recommend Excelsior (album).

Edited by terramystic - July 25 2023 at 16:39
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 16:41
Rush are underrated. By me.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 16:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Rush are underrated. By me.

Whilst I personally underrate Opeth to an astonishing degree... LOL
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 17:27

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Thumbs Up

Volume 2: Brainstorm. I actually need to revisit them myself but that one contains some pretty amazing stuff imo. The first one (volume 1) is good too. They might actually be among the first prog albums to incorporate elements of prog metal without actually being prog metal. Of course there's a big ELP influence too. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 25 2023 at 17:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 14:11
Another one worth mentioning is White Willow. They never got the recognition of Anekdoten, Wobbler or Anglagard but they have some very good stuff. I think because they kind of disappeared is sort of why they have been swept under the carpet.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 20:53
Because underrated is not the same as unknown or little known, but that people who know them don't give the band enough merit and/or appreciation, then I might expect that the most underrated band might also be the most overrated band when judging the numbers of people who actively rate them (i.e. judge the quality etc.) period. If one considers Pink Floyd to be Prog, then maybe Pink Floyd. I don't know or really care much actually. From a rather different angle, while I don't much like ELP's music generally (most enjoy the debut), I do recognise it as being very significant to Prog and 70s rock, and I expect that is name that has come up because it seems very unfashionable these days and may not get the respect that many others think the band deserves. One can respect a band without liking it, of course.

Edited by Logan - July 29 2023 at 20:59
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 21:18
^Yes, it's kind of weird how a band like ELP, who were so big in the 70s, could now probably be considered underrated (at least among prog fans). Yes on the other hand would only be underrated by non-prog fans these days imo. I hope that makes sense.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 29 2023 at 21:19
Golden Mean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Mean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 06:52
Modrư Efekt
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 06:58
Heaven's Cry
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 09:50
Perhaps underrated albums by major prog artists would be better, suffice to say, I think Oldfield doesn't get talked about enough on here. 
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>