Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interview with Dzyan's Peter Giger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Dzyan's Peter Giger
    Posted: June 02 2019 at 17:57
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 00:59
Thanks! Giger is/was interesting no matter the context/music and this was an enjoyable read. One of the great european percussionists.

I was just reading up on Brainticket's Joel Vandroogenbroeck solo ond other albums/projects (I enjoy quite a few of his Colorsound-releases) so I was looking at this Drum Circus-album yesterday. Thought I was familiar with it already, but listening to this fun mess earlier (on youtube) I seems I wasn't. I do prefer the conventionally beautiful last nine minutes on that "epic" opener + those more straight jazz fusion tunes/parts. I have grown a little impatient over far out "poetry", deep hippie nonsense and nasal chants over the years. 

This again + your avatar inspired me to locate my Giger Lenz Marron-albums. Man those are overlooked. I think might I love them (Where The Hammer Hangs being my favorite of the two) just as much as Time Machine and Electric Silence. They have a intimacy to them which works to their advantage and represent a continuance of what I like best about Dzyan - which is their eastern/indian-drenched approach to jazz fusion.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 09:57
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Thanks! Giger is/was interesting no matter the context/music and this was an enjoyable read. One of the great european percussionists.

I was just reading up on Brainticket's Joel Vandroogenbroeck solo ond other albums/projects (I enjoy quite a few of his Colorsound-releases) so I was looking at this Drum Circus-album yesterday. Thought I was familiar with it already, but listening to this fun mess earlier (on youtube) I seems I wasn't. I do prefer the conventionally beautiful last nine minutes on that "epic" opener + those more straight jazz fusion tunes/parts. I have grown a little impatient over far out "poetry", deep hippie nonsense and nasal chants over the years. 

This again + your avatar inspired me to locate my Giger Lenz Marron-albums. Man those are overlooked. I think might I love them (Where The Hammer Hangs being my favorite of the two) just as much as Time Machine and Electric Silence. They have a intimacy to them which works to their advantage and represent a continuance of what I like best about Dzyan - which is their eastern/indian-drenched approach to jazz fusion.

Thanks so much for your interesting response! Giger Lenz Marron are my fave music group from any genre (apart from Triumvirat of course) and both their albums literally work wonders for me.  I was lucky enough to chat a bit by phone twice with the late Eddy Marron, which I cherish, and I am facebook friends with Peter Giger, which I also really appreciate. He told me that Beyond may be reissued on lp in the future, but he sounded uncertain at that point. I tried to have GLM included in the PA fusion section, to no avail. Dzyan are amazing, to say the least; Time Machine is my favorite of theirs.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 10:34
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Thanks so much for your interesting response! Giger Lenz Marron are my fave music group from any genre (apart from Triumvirat of course) and both their albums literally work wonders for me.  I was lucky enough to chat a bit by phone twice with the late Eddy Marron, which I cherish, and I am facebook friends with Peter Giger, which I also really appreciate. He told me that Beyond may be reissued on lp in the future, but he sounded uncertain at that point. I tried to have GLM included in the PA fusion section, to no avail. Dzyan are amazing, to say the least; Time Machine is my favorite of theirs.
Oh wow I wasn't aware those were among your very favorite albums. I actually just noticed your Where the Hammer Hangs-avatar today in your post here as well. Giger Lenz Marron have an obvious place here I think. Were they actually rejected? About half their tunes are purely Jazz Rock Fusion - and the ones that aren't are just closer to Indo-Prog/Raga Rock-section = the former genre fused with an eastern twang anyway. It should have been a no-brainer imo.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - June 03 2019 at 11:15
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 10:47
Yes, it should have been a no brainer, but I must say I don't understand why they were rejected. (and yes, they were, even with me starting a thread on their inclusionAngry)
       I don't like Drum Circus, but quite like the various Four for Jazz records; and Giger's first solo album Family Of Percussion from 1975 is a masterpiece.
 Post Reply Post Reply