Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burned by Amazon-Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burned by Amazon-Canada
    Posted: June 05 2019 at 06:20

I got burned by Amazon Canada (not a seller on their site, but A.ca themselves), when acquiring the two Dilllinger albums released Unidisc.

1- I haven't got any complaint about their debut album sold at a reasonable 14.00$ (the album is OK, but lots of weaker stuff, short playing time and a stupid never-ending drum solo),
2- but somehow my order their musically-better second album (at the same price) got changed and became a 26.00$ item, but on top of that it clearly wasn't new as the back label (between the tray and the back spine of the jewel case) had been folded in its middle prior to being inserted between the plastic elements
3- not only did they jack-up the price by doubling the second album's price, but they certainly made no effort to diminish the shipping/postal cost by using DHL
4- delay: this took three months to arrive in my mail-box
5- the idiots didn't fill out the custom label correctly and the package was stopped by the customs and I got sucked into paying another 26.00 (€, this time) importing fee.
6- not happy about the course of things, I can't even return the shipment, because they didn't insert a return address sticker in the package, and there is no way to get in touch with them
7- I reviewed the albums fairly negatively on their site, but mainly criticized Amabitch's handling of the whole shebang, and they mailed me (no-reply box of course) that my reviews were not acceptable so they were withdrawn. So they're aware of my discontent and don't offer a mediation.
8- basically for two (fairly average) Dillinger CDs, I got scammed of 66.00$ (CDN) and another 26.00€ at the customs, and they're getting away with it, because it's not worth my while to try to find a return address and actually ship it back (at my cost, since there is no return sticker)

f**k, I hate the GAFAs. Angry

The weird thing is that I'd had no problem the previous month with ordering the Fiori/Harmonium thingie at a very decent price ( < 30.00€ for a double disc, shipping incl.) and it was mega-quick (less than 14 days)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I got burned by Amazon Canada (not a seller on their site, but A.ca themselves), when acquiring the two Dilllinger albums released Unidisc.

Hi,

Bummer .... I hate this stuff and rip-offs. It's a scam.

BTW, never go to South America and try to bring things out ... you'll get skinned in the airports! Literally! 

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 06:39
No-one in Australia can purchase anything on Amazon with any type of credit card. I've never received a satisfactory explanation as to why this is but judging by customer anecdotes like yours, maybe we should be grateful?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 07:23
I am trying to understand here. Are you saying you made the purchase and the price changed after the order?

This is not allowed here in the US. You submit your order and your card is charged the listed price plus shipping up front. Any changes on the back end becomes the seller's problem. Any further credit charges must be approved by the buyer. I have never had an issue like that with Amazon. PayPal on the other hand, yes I have absolutely had a similar experience with an international purchase.

What I have seen with Amazon is absolute gouging by used CD sellers. I have done ok with new stuff, but used I stick to discogs.com.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:23
I have had issues with Amazon Canada also, so, since I live close to the border, I found a place that will hold packages.  You just have your item mailed to the address where the site is located in the US, they hold it and give you a notification when it arrives, and you pay them like 5 dollars for each package.  That is still cheaper than paying the rate of their Canadian prices and you don't risk the chance of it being stuck at the border.

However, it's a bit different if you are ordering an e-book.  I used to buy Amazon gift cards and buy the e-books that way, but Amazon's site trackers won't allow Canadians to order e-books from the US site, so if you try to order it from the Canadian site (it's about the same price anyway), the site won't accept the gift card and not all of the e-books are available anyway on the Canadian site.  So now I don't buy their damn gift cards anymore and find alternate methods to get e-books. 

However, if you are getting physical copies of something and you live fairly close to a border, it's worth it to find a good mail holding site that will hold packages for you.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:37
Here's some advice: Avoid Amazon like the plague (or coronavirus to be up to date!)

Out of principle i can't stand Mr. Beady Eyes and his world domination so i will only buy something there if there is absolutely no other option but in reality i can almost always find something somewhere else and if not then i just live without.

Never had this problem but since i don't shop there probably won't either. So many other sites that serve me quite well: Discogs, Musicstack, Wayside, etc

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:53
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Here's some advice: Avoid Amazon like the plague (or coronavirus to be up to date!)

Out of principle i can't stand Mr. Beady Eyes and his world domination so i will only buy something there if there is absolutely no other option but in reality i can almost always find something somewhere else and if not then i just live without.

Never had this problem but since i don't shop there probably won't either. So many other sites that serve me quite well: Discogs, Musicstack, Wayside, etc

Good point!

Post Reply Post Reply