0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
6 [27.27%]
1 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 15:10
^I'll eat 'em!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 12:26
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

A "Berliner" actually is a German pastry with a sugar icing and a jelly filling. Here a picture:

So it is no wonder people don't like to be called that.

"All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words I am a German pastry" (not quite JFK).

It would be worse to say it to someone who is pudgy (I've heard overweight people called doughnuts). Since John F. Kennedy was born in Massachusetts, it might have been better to say, "Ich bin ein Boston Cream" for that famous speech.

I think we, or maybe it was with Jean, had this discussion before, but whether that was a gaffe or not has been debated. As you have a keen interest in history as well as an interest in linguistics, here are some articles on it.

https://www.thelocal.de/20130626/50515

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-does-everybody-think-jfk-said-im-jelly-donut-180963779/

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/08/the-real-meaning-of-ich-bin-ein-berliner/309500/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-hole-truth/

Originally posted by thelocal.de thelocal.de wrote:

Legend has it that US president John F. Kennedy made a whopping grammatical gaffe with his iconic declaration "Ich bin ein Berliner" 50 years ago on Wednesday, telling his audience - and the world - "I am a jam doughnut".
The historical lore was that JFK, in his first faltering words of German, was wrong to use the indefinite article "ein" and should have said "Ich bin Berliner" to declare his solidarity with the embattled Cold War city.

Not so, says Anatol Stefanowitsch, a Berlin professor of linguistics.

"The sentence 'Ich bin ein Berliner' is grammatically absolutely acceptable," he told news agency AFP ahead of the commemorations for the stirring June 26, 1963 speech.

The phrase came up twice in the speech, delivered in Kennedy's broad Boston accent. It was his brainchild and translated into German for him by official interpreters - JFK had written it out phonetically on notecards so he would be understood.

Stefanowitsch notes that while "Berliner" is a German word for a filled pastry, the context of Kennedy's declaration made his sentence abundantly clear to the cheering throngs.

"The confusion derives from the fact that (in German), you normally express your belonging to a predefined group in a sentence without an article, such as 'Ich bin Student' or indeed 'Ich bin Berliner'," he said.

"The sentence 'Ich bin Berliner' is clear and cannot refer to 'doughnuts' because that is not a predefined group," he explained.

Stefanowitsch said the construction with the article "ein" is used when a speaker wants to say that he doesn't literally belong to the group, Berliners in this case, but rather wants to express that he has something in common with them.

"That is exactly what Kennedy wanted to do - he did not want to claim to actually be a resident of the city of Berlin but rather to say that he shared something with the Berliners, namely their love of freedom," Stefanowitsch said.

At the end of his 10-minute address, Kennedy uttered the immortal words: "All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin and therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words 'Ich bin ein Berliner'."

So there would have been no blank stares or giggles from the crowd of 450,000 Germans that summer's day?

"Kennedy not only delivered a grammatically correct sentence but rather the only sentence that made sense there," Stefanowitsch said.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:19
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

a little German lesson: the flexion of "mein"

Masculine                        Feminine                          Neuter

Nominative:          mein Mann                      meine Frau                       mein Kind

Genitive:              meines Mannes                meiner Frau                      meines Kindes

Dative:                 meinem Mann                 meiner Frau                       meinem Kind

Accusative:           meinen Mann                  meine Frau                        mein Kind

American English is not that well defined and neither do they teach grammar in school. Here all lingo and this and that goes ... and it is one thing that really makes communication difficult, because no one really knows what anyone is saying.

I have issues, for example, saying things somewhat in my Portuguese original language, which has 24 verb tenses, and I use the imperatives, it throws people off really bad.

I could not vote on this stuff ... haven't heard most of it, though I have some of the stuff.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 17:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I did learn at a young age that it's better not to reference Mein Kampf when you meet a German, and even saying something like "Ich bin ein Berliner" is generally best not dropped when you meet Germans, unless perhaps you are discussing JFK. I am guilty of so many faux pas.

Sensitivities are tiring at times... mention Mein Kampf night and day in my company and have fun declaring yourself a Berliner!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 17:27

"All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words I am a German pastry" (not quite JFK).

just imagine how funny it would have been had he said "Ich bin ein Amerikaner, und ich bin ein Berliner"

Edited by BaldJean - June 12 2019 at 17:28

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 04:07
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

just imagine how funny it would have been had he said "Ich bin ein Amerikaner, und ich bin ein Berliner"

Now that would have been truly deliciously laughable.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:40
I will just have a chow mein.Por favor.
Shake & bake.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:53
^ Hands off, that chow is mein.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 06:59

^ Hands off, that chow is mein.

No problem.It's got too many umlauts on it anyway. :) 

In poll ,I take other. Klaus Mein(e) and Scorpions.Tongue
Shake & bake.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 18:44
Not German, but born in Germany, I'd like to add Bernard Szajner's Visions of Dune inspired by Herbert, not Von Karajan ! I listen to that album a lot these days
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 19:04
Zarah Leander - Mein Leben für die Liebe, jawohl!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 01:29
In defense of JFK: He hold his speech in Berlin the only town in Germany where the pastry Berliner
is called Pfannkuchen instead.

Of course everyewhere else in Germany a Pfannkuchen is a Pancake but in Berlin it's called a Eierkuchen.

So JFK did everything right (I'm a Pfannkuchen :-) )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12