Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Close to the Edge question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 07:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

As for terminology, it's been shown on these forums several times that the term "progressive rock" was in use waaay back in the 60s to mean the new sound of rock n' roll:  King Crimson, Zappa, Jethro Tull, even though it wasn't adopted at large until much later.

Indeed.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 15:23
Dark Side of the Moon, Queen II and Close to the Edge are my top 3 albums in rock/pop music, so it wouldn't just make my top 10 favorite prog albums quite comfortably but also top 10 rock/pop albums list as well as music in general. Relayer is brilliant too, but well, I prefer And You and I to To Be Over, Siberian Khatru to Sound Chaser and Close to the Edge to Gates of Delirium, so it's not that close, even if the difference is not that big either.  
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 16:13
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Dark Side of the Moon, Queen II and Close to the Edge are my top 3 albums in rock/pop music, so it wouldn't just make my top 10 favorite prog albums quite comfortably but also top 10 rock/pop albums list as well as music in general. Relayer is brilliant too, but well, I prefer And You and I to To Be Over, Siberian Khatru to Sound Chaser and Close to the Edge to Gates of Delirium, so it's not that close, even if the difference is not that big either.  

Well said!  Queen II is one of my all-time favorite LPs, and I love to play guitar along with it!!  "Ogre Battle" is a masterpiece, it is not an album that is discussed much on PA or elsewhere.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 16:26
I'm wondering if Close to the Edge is the new dark side of the moon at least in prog rock circles. I say that because it seems that in the past ten years or so CTTE has gotten a lot of attention as one of the very best and most famous prog rock albums of all time. It's even been mentioned on classic rock sites and magazines. It hasn't sold nearly as many copies but I'm referring more to reputation. I would think that some of this attention has helped album sales too a bit though. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 16:33
It just holds together exceptionally well. It lets its agenda be known, and executes it flawlessly. Just a masterpiece of execution, though ironically the band never really knew what the album would look like til it was done. Just a perfect storm of inspiration, skill, and timing.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 14:24
Yes aren’t even top 10 anymore. They were 25 years ago until I found so many other bands from that era. I still give Ctte 4 stars. The holes are starting to appear though and they are bigger on the next two albums which are 3.5 star albums
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 18:13
For me, the intro section (the pop song) is alright, but because of the bridge and ending it kinda makes the entire song an experience that must be heard for all prog fans. Definitely the best 'starter' for prog. People often say DSotM is the starter for prog. Nah. Close to the Edge has everything. Cheesy melody and vocals, epic solos, a breakdown, and a f**king long length lol.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 00:04
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

For me, the intro section (the pop song) is alright, but because of the bridge and ending it kinda makes the entire song an experience that must be heard for all prog fans. Definitely the best 'starter' for prog. People often say DSotM is the starter for prog. Nah. Close to the Edge has everything. Cheesy melody and vocals, epic solos, a breakdown, and a f**king long length lol.

Yes this is a really good comment and one that has been echoed quite a bit. Close To The Edge has lots of ambition but its actually not really that challenging to listen to. Yep ideal starter album. DSOTM is a good pop/rock/blues crossover album. It always sounded like a formula to me but then if you create the formula then that's okay presumably.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 00:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

Yes this is a really good comment and one that has been echoed quite a bit. Close To The Edge has lots of ambition but its actually not really that challenging to listen to. Yep ideal starter album. DSOTM is a good pop/rock/blues crossover album. It always sounded like a formula to me but then if you create the formula then that's okay presumably.

Which would make complete logical sense for why TFTGO didn't go over so well, lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 13:05
I guess we could consider a starter pack, with Close to the Edge, Dark Side of the Moon, and In the Court of the Crimson King
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 01:46
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess we could consider a starter pack, with Close to the Edge, Dark Side of the Moon, and In the Court of the Crimson King

Close to The Dark Side of The Court Prog Family Pack 3-for-1! Great Deal! Save 66%!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 05:12

Close To The Edge has lots of ambition but its actually not really that challenging to listen to.

I agree that once it gets into the vocal sections, but the intro is pretty weird for someone being introduced to prog for the first time.
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 08:11
A lot of academic analysis has been expended on CTTE. Here in 2019 looking back on pieces of popular music that are getting close to 50 years old we have lost a lot of the original context within which these pieces of art were created.
Try to place it within the framework of popular music at that time. At the end of the day, they were still tryting to create music that people would consume. For that matter, all musicians had that goal. Whether is was CCR , Led Zeppelin or Neil Sedaka.
One thing that I believe does not get the accolades that it should is the work of Eddie Offord on CTTE.
That album sounds great. There is a lot going on with those compositions and the mix he achieved is spectacular. For the listener, there is an easy separation of instruments amidst some difficult arrangements. Back in those days, music was mixed to accentuate vocals and there's lots of bad recordings. Close to the Edge is not one of those. I think a big part of CTTE standing the test of time is the production value and compared with pop music at that time, even the material that was edging over the lines of complexity, and 'progressiveness', it rises above. Every band has a time when they were at the heights of their powers and the forces of popularity and skill come together in a career highlight.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 15:58
Originally posted by Magmatt Magmatt wrote:

A lot of academic analysis has been expended on CTTE. Here in 2019 looking back on pieces of popular music that are getting close to 50 years old we have lost a lot of the original context within which these pieces of art were created.
Try to place it within the framework of popular music at that time. At the end of the day, they were still tryting to create music that people would consume. For that matter, all musicians had that goal. Whether is was CCR , Led Zeppelin or Neil Sedaka.
One thing that I believe does not get the accolades that it should is the work of Eddie Offord on CTTE.
That album sounds great. There is a lot going on with those compositions and the mix he achieved is spectacular. For the listener, there is an easy separation of instruments amidst some difficult arrangements. Back in those days, music was mixed to accentuate vocals and there's lots of bad recordings. Close to the Edge is not one of those. I think a big part of CTTE standing the test of time is the production value and compared with pop music at that time, even the material that was edging over the lines of complexity, and 'progressiveness', it rises above. Every band has a time when they were at the heights of their powers and the forces of popularity and skill come together in a career highlight.

Agreed although 1972 was just before 'compression' started to become more noticeable. Another Offord produced album was ELP's Trilogy from that same year . You can still hear the space between the instruments and the vocal sound is very natural. Brain Salad Surgery (although I love) clearly missed his influence. It all starts to become a bit of a 'sound fudge' to me and Lake's vocals are a little strange although that may have been deliberate given the sci-fi setting of the music.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 04:13

Originally posted by Magmatt Magmatt wrote:

Agreed although 1972 was just before 'compression' started to become more noticeable. Another Offord produced album was ELP's Trilogy from that same year . You can still hear the space between the instruments and the vocal sound is very natural. Brain Salad Surgery (although I love) clearly missed his influence. It all starts to become a bit of a 'sound fudge' to me and Lake's vocals are a little strange although that may have been deliberate given the sci-fi setting of the music.
You're right, Trilogy is a brilliant production, definitely the best sounding ELP album.
I also think I read that Offord had a lot to do with constructing the song CTTE from various bits of tape.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 04:24
Funny I've always felt Tril was their worst-sounding of the first four--  off balance, tinny, uneven.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 11:51

I would add Selling England by the Pound to that list but I don't think we would need to add any others. Thick as a brick, moving pictures and wish you were here can come later.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 20:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would add Selling England by the Pound to that list but I don't think we would need to add any others. Thick as a brick, moving pictures and wish you were here can come later.

Yeah, I find it difficult to choose any other albums. Of course Selling England is up there among the most notable, as well as the others you mentioned.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:07
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Funny I've always felt Tril was their worst-sounding of the first four--  off balance, tinny, uneven.

There was a disappointing Japanese remaster but otherwise I don't hear that at all. Hoedown especially is superb. The percussion and keys just pop out. In fact the drum sound on the whole thing is great and the vocals and keys are crystal clear throughout. I just find its an unfocused album (not untypical of ELP) although still easily in my top two of theirs.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 00:13
^ That's the problem, it was over-mixed, soundboarded to death.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>