Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The great prog band you're sure noone else's heard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The great prog band you're sure noone else's heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The great prog band you're sure noone else's heard
    Posted: June 18 2019 at 17:22
Originally posted by admireArt admireArt wrote:

TUXEDOMOON , not even archived in this archives, but Prog to the bone!

Their ep has over a million views on youtube. Still think that's obscure? LOL
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 17:17
TUXEDOMOON , not even archived in this archives, but Prog to the bone!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 10:37
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not saying this is the most obscure album and I can think of others more obscure but this is a little gem from the late 90's has been buried over the years. Check it out if you like the mellotron. Unfortunately only two tracks from this fine album are on youtube. 

I dig it. Thanks!

Cool. Not that I work for him or anything but Greg Walker has it over on synphonic(in the US section). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 17 2019 at 10:38
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 10:19
Approximately 2006-2010 Aarhus band called Panicphobia. They released the EP "Handle With Care - Might Panic" through the Dutch label WM Recordings:

Best track is probably "Die Heart", whereas the funniest is "What Trees Think".

Edited by The Anders - June 17 2019 at 10:23
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 07:35
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Trust prog-heads to wax philosophical on this question. I bet none of you have heard of "The Gazaans", have you?  If someone says yes and can prove it, I will listen to an Air Supply album.

I’ve had just about enough of your Air Supply bashing!

I'm all out of love for Air Supply.  You people are cruel torturing us with this drivel.

LOL. AOR seems to be the ultimate anti-prog but personally i don't think it's that bad. I even have an Air Supply GH in my collection!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
yuribujuri View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuribujuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 02:44
Here I go:

Band: AppleSmellColour
Album: Unscrupulousness
Year: 2015

https://applesmellcolour.bandcamp.com/album/unscrupulousness

Wink
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 14:57
I prefer Hauling Oats
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:26
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

You're asking the wrong crowd.  We've seen too much.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 21:00

I'm not saying this is the most obscure album and I can think of others more obscure but this is a little gem from the late 90's has been buried over the years. Check it out if you like the mellotron. Unfortunately only two tracks from this fine album are on youtube. 

I dig it. Thanks!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 20:32
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Is this where we plug our own garage bands?

OK how did you figure it out?  I guess I'll be listening to Air Supply tomorrow.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 19:38

There are so many. 

Here's another one from the 90's: Makkiwhipdies. I guarantee this is one of the craziest things you will ever hear(in a good way). 

Listen to the other one on youtube also.

This is equally crazy:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 18:46
Is this where we plug our own garage bands?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 18:42
Buckwheat Strangers were a Quebec symphonic power quartet who were tragically under promoted by their label, Green Armadillo Records.  They released one 45 rpm single in 1970, The Pools of the Dark Cataract, and briefly toured Scandinavia in '71.
Image result for photos of 1970 british prog rock band
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 17:59
I know people have heard of them, but both Plini and Intervals are cruelly under-appreciated. Plini's Handmade Cities (2016) and Intervals' The Way Forward (2017) are both outstanding prog albums that deserve more love.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 09:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Trust prog-heads to wax philosophical on this question. I bet none of you have heard of "The Gazaans", have you?  If someone says yes and can prove it, I will listen to an Air Supply album.

I'm all out of love for Air Supply.  You people are cruel torturing us with this drivel.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 06:59
Hi,

I really think that most of the folks here, probably hear too much, almost to the point of not even remembering the name of the band a week later ... 

But the worst part is not the new material we never heard ... is the constant commenting on MOR material that does not merit a discussion here and gets one! That tends to hide and cloud the real good stuff on the "unknown" bands!

Just wait ... another Clapton Poll tomorrow or next week!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 06:43

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 05:27
I would also like to give a tip of the hat to german fusion band Contact, who had one self titled debut album on an obscure label in 1971. They later became Contact Trio, who were a tiny bit less obscure.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 22:36

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 21:26
I've suggested many here. Anything from Pole records was unknown here. Bands like Pumpkin, Mammut, Rainbow Ffolly, Twink, Salem Mass, Peggy's Leg, Grannie and Orange Peel are extremely rare and command some of the highest prices for collectors. Are they great? Naw but not bad either. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>