FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clapton / Gilmour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clapton / Gilmour
    Posted: June 15 2019 at 09:37

I'm sure many here have seen this....'nuff said.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 12:58
^ Beck was a great mistake-maker.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 04:26
Arguably, Dave Gilmour has the minimum amount of skill that still lets you belong in "great guitarists" pantheon purely relying on your sound/tone/soloing style. I think he's entrenched in a comfort zone, but he's able to pull off some impressive music with very modest tools. More power to him.

Clapton isn't the most technical on Earth, but at least he used to be on top in 1965-74 era, roughly.

Someone mentioned Beck. Of the three, he'd be my pick, although with a caveat... there are some nights when wild, groundbreaking guitar experiments backfire and he sounds less than impressive. Ritchie Blackmore said that Jeff Beck's style is out of this Earth IF he has a good night, but he also takes many risks so... you get the picture.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 14:53
Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

Lots of sidesteps during this Clapton/Gilmour topic, how about Carlos Santana versus Gilmour? For me Santana is one of the most overlooked guitarists within the world of prog, with his innovative Latin prog sound, his distinctive sustain, and lots of monumental soli, like Gilmour, and both are blues oriented, preferring emotion above scale acrobtics.

You're not wrong! Clap
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 09:59
that guitar sound Clapton has live with Cream both in 1968 and 2005 are so damn saevy and hot its, raw, dirty and so stoner rock.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 09:56
Clapton have While My Guitar Gently Wheeps and Gilmore have Confortibly Numb, both are curriculum for everyone whom are in the training grounds for becoming lead guitarist.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 09:32
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Clapton is more varied and a better improviser, but Gilmour can create more passion and strength.  They both have their own distinct styles, and they are both highly revered by me, so I can't decide which one I like more, I think they are both amazing.

With all the jamming focus Floyd had in their pre-Dark Side years, I would say the band (Gilmour included) were actually very good improvising. I would actually say I enjoy more the results that came out of Pink Floyd than those of King Crimson themselves in that respect.

Clapton is indeed a very good improviser.... within the confines the standard pentatonic blues scale. But that is hardly varied.  As masterful as he is within those bounds, I can't see him as being more varied than any of the other guitarists discussed on this thread.  

While it is true most of Clapton's music is based on the blues scale and messing around with the standard 12 bar pattern, he has often delved into other areas like country, folk, reggae, jazz, rock, pop, and all of that, not always to the best of results, but he still tries.  There were even times when he could be quite passionate.  Take, for example, his amazing guitar work (and vocals) on "River of Tears.  Yes it's blues, but its also quite heart wrenching.  And it is also true that Gilmour could be quite varied at times.  But overall, I still stand by what I said comparing the two.  Their strengths make them the amazing musicians that they are.

patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 22:18

I actually hear a lot of expressiveness in (some of) Satriani's playing.  He's more than just a technical wizard.

I feel the same way about Trevor Rabin. Surprisingly capable of expression, and, I believe, a Beck fan also. But when in doubt, he shreds. Or used to anyway!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 22:01

Clapton is more varied and a better improviser, but Gilmour can create more passion and strength.  They both have their own distinct styles, and they are both highly revered by me, so I can't decide which one I like more, I think they are both amazing.
With all the jamming focus Floyd had in their pre-Dark Side years, I would say the band (Gilmour included) were actually very good improvising. I would actually say I enjoy more the results that came out of Pink Floyd than those of King Crimson themselves in that respect.

They were excellent improvisors, even post-DarkSide if you listen to tapes from the WYWH tour.   In fact the material was largely born of improvisation, either as a group or individually.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 21:49

Clapton is indeed a very good improviser.... within the confines the standard pentatonic blues scale. But that is hardly varied.  As masterful as he is within those bounds, I can't see him as being more varied than any of the other guitarists discussed on this thread.  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 21:33

TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 21:02
Lots of sidesteps during this Clapton/Gilmour topic, how about Carlos Santana versus Gilmour? For me Santana is one of the most overlooked guitarists within the world of prog, with his innovative Latin prog sound, his distinctive sustain, and lots of monumental soli, like Gilmour, and both are blues oriented, preferring emotion above scale acrobtics.

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 11 2019 at 21:07
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 20:02
No doubt that Beck is a virtuoso, and, as I have said, I have enjoyed some of his albums, but he just never really stuck with me as consistently as Gilmour or Clapton.  I would say that I even like some of Robin Trower's earlier albums and find them more memorable than Beck's, but, again, that is just my own taste.  I definitely won't say anyone is better than another except from my own point of view.  Beck, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen ... I tend to classify them together, I've heard them all, and they all sound great at first, they are all guitar aficionados, but I just can't stay interested in them long enough to get through an album.  At least with Beck I can say that I have enjoyed a few of his albums.

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 17:19
Gilmour has grown and gotten better as a guitarist.  Beck has turned into a noodler.  I don't find him that interesting any more. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 16:14
^ Either that or this robotic catastrophe --

Image result for jan hammer beyond the minds eye

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 15:09
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ When Guitar Shop came out it was a very interesting issue from him, a lot of imagination and actual guitar playing.   Certainly a creative redemption after the radio-oriented Flash.   Saw him on tour for it and it was very clean and well-produced.

That was the soundtrack for when you wanted to pretend you were part of the cast on Miami Vice!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 13:15
^ When Guitar Shop came out it was a very interesting issue from him, a lot of imagination and actual guitar playing.   Certainly a creative redemption after the radio-oriented Flash.   Saw him on tour for it and it was very clean and well-produced.  

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 12:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Jeff Beck is a beast: the perfect storm of expression and virtuosity. 

Clap
True...and I would take him and his body of work over either Clapton or Gilmour.

One of my favorites is Guitar Shop. Doesn't seem to be liked as well as some of this others. How can one not like a trio of Beck, Tony Hymas (keys) and the one & only Terry Bozzio on drums?!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 12:39

I actually hear a lot of expressiveness in (some of) Satriani's playing.  He's more than just a technical wizard. The problem with his music lies mostly in his refusal to employ a rhythm section that sounds anything other than generic background music for a car commercial.  The drums and bass backing him are always hopelessly mundane.  Without any vocals, the music does end up being rather uninteresting, regardless of whether he can play his guitar expressively or not. 

YesLOLClap

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 12:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Jeff Beck is a beast: the perfect storm of expression and virtuosity. 

Clap
True...and I would take him and his body of work over either Clapton or Gilmour.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>