Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clapton / Gilmour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clapton / Gilmour
    Posted: June 10 2019 at 08:00
Clapton vs. Gilmour: Clapton’s got to be the knee-jerk reaction, and he’s probably the better guitar soloist. I’m not a guitarist, and although I’m capable of being a credulous fanboy, I’ve never been a devotee of Pink Floyd or of Clapton. But listening to Wish You Were Here in advance of possibly reviewing it, I’m reconsidering just how good Gilmour is. Opinions?
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 09:34
Clapton is more varied and a better improviser, but Gilmour can create more passion and strength.  They both have their own distinct styles, and they are both highly revered by me, so I can't decide which one I like more, I think they are both amazing.

digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 09:51
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Clapton is more varied and a better improviser, but Gilmour can create more passion and strength.  They both have their own distinct styles, and they are both highly revered by me, so I can't decide which one I like more, I think they are both amazing.

I agree with all of the above.... both are amazing in different ways
Prog On!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 11:23
Gilmour.. I have never been a fan of Clapton or all the cover songs he does, or the same scale he's been playing for 50 years, usually on the backs of another group. He coudn't even write the music or lyrics to "Layla" (Allman's riff, lyrics by multiple people, outro coda belongs to multiple folks)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 11:38
Clapton is perhaps more virtuosic and more eclectic, but Gilmour has delivered lots of monumental soli and riffs, both on the acoustic guitar (Wish You Were is so moving, so beautiful) as on the electric guitar (the Comfortably Numb solo is one of the best ever), and the steel-guitar. He plays emotionally, in the spirit of the blues, and knows how to build up a solo and work to a climax. And he has a very distinctive sound, that is also a big plus, like Jeff Beck and Al DiMeola, he belongs in that category!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 11:42
Gilmour > Clapton. That is all.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 17:06
Neither of these guys is a top ten guitarist to me.  But Clapton, at times, seems like he knows the guitar better than Gilmore.  When Clapton wants to he can stink with the best of them but when he brings his 'A' game he's hard not to listen to.  Clapton gets my vote.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 18:03
I'll chose Gilmour anytime.

I have always found Eric Clapton slightly overrated as a guitarist. No doubt that he is technically brilliant; he also has a very distinct sound, but he rarely goes beyond the standard blues phrasings - which is why I often lose interest during his solos.

I think David Gilmour is much more lyrical and melodic, and there's a bit more emotion in his playing while you can still hear a bluesy feel in it. "Shine On" of course is a good example of that, as is "Time".
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 18:11
More generally, I would say the most interesting guitar players are not necessarily the greatest virtuosos. I usually get bored by fast finger moving, especially after ten minutes, which is why I find it incredibly hard to listen through an album like Derek and the Dominos's "Layla".

There are exceptions of course: I really like Richie Blackmore, but I guess that is because of the almost classical sounding guitar playing on some Purple tracks.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 20:04
Clapton is probably more technical,  but Gilmour has so much emotion and feeling. I must choose Gilmour.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 20:09
According to this interview, Gilmour was influenced by Clapton. Not that the pupil cannot surpass the student...
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 20:32
Would you guys feel the same with Beck v Gilmour? 

Just curious.

TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 21:00
Jeff Beck is an interesting story, he left The Yardbirds because he disliked the poppy factor, the rest is history, because he developed an unique sound, very powerful, often with the use of the tremolo arm. For me Jeff Beck and David Gilmour are on the same level (like I stated in my previous post), guitarists that do not need to deliver fast scale acrobatics to impress (like so many prog metal, heavy metal, hardrock and jazzrock guitarists), they focus on emotion, on playing just a few notes. For me that does more than all those clinical virtuosic scale acrobacy ...

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 10 2019 at 21:01
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 21:09
not a big fan of either--but probably Gilmour has moved me more.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 21:32
Gilmour is my favourite guitaris, so this is easy. Clapton is of course, deservedly a legend, though. By the way, I wish Waters would release a live album from the tour he did with Clapton on guitars, I believe that would be interesting to hear.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 22:02
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Would you guys feel the same with Beck v Gilmour? 

Just curious.

Both Beck and Clapton can play circles around Gilmour.

I'd probably still choose Gilmour.   In a way, Dave has continued to evolve and become more refined.   He is also a cleaner player, a better performer, and more true to his studio work in concert.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 22:13
Both are heavily influenced by the blues. Though quite different, they really deliver a fantastic array of sounds and melodies. I like both for very different reasons, and cannot pick one above the other, it all depends on what mood I'm in at the moment. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 04:08
It depends on what they play. Clapton's performances with Waters (not only Pros and Cons, I have a bootleg of their concert in Stockholm), aren't at the level of Gimour. Wish You Were Here in Stockholm is played with the E bass untuned. Probably he wasn't in a good status, actually.

On the other side, Clapton is surely more technical than Gilmour as player. 
You can be technical, you can be the most technical guitarist in the whole world...but you haven't composed Comfortably Numb.

That's the difference,

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 06:30
They're both great. Gilmour happens to be on far more music that I love, but that doesn't mean I have much to complain about Clapton's guitar playing. Beck certainly is good, too, but really doesn't have that much stuff that moves me.

Edited by Lewian - June 11 2019 at 06:31
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 09:25
Beck is great, but I have a harder time listening to his albums because he is more of a show off and (yes I know this is a strange thing to rate a guitarist by) he can't sing where both Clapton and Gilmour can making their music more versatile.  They could be excellent artists just on their singing alone, but they can both hold my interest better than Beck can.  There have been a few albums that I have enjoyed by Beck, but I consistently love Gilmour and Clapton.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>