Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Larks' Tongues vs. King of the Sugarcoated Tongues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Larks' Tongues vs. King of the Sugarcoated Tongues

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these tracks reigns supreme?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [69.57%]
6 [26.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larks' Tongues vs. King of the Sugarcoated Tongues
    Posted: June 10 2019 at 16:24
The Sunpilots probably needs no introduction, but this band released the album King of the Sugarcoated Tongues.

There is a band named King Crimson (that's Crimson with a C and King with a K, although that is more usual) that also released a somewhat similarly titled album, which is called Larks' Tongues In Aspic.

You might be thinking that the King Crimson album title was inspired by the Sunpilots album title, and that maybe that is where this King Crimson person got the idea of putting King in the name of the project, but King Crimson came first! It's true, I looked it up using the internet and the internet never lies (I found out that the internet never lies on the internet, so it must be true). And Mr. Crimson's album about the larks' tongues that are in aspic also did come out long before the Sunpilots released any albums that I know of! I had thought the albums would sound very similar judging by the similar titles, but they do not from what I have listened to, but that is not surprising at all when I think about it because the King Crimson album came out too early to be inspired by The Sunpilots album. So no one should accuse Mr. King Crimson of plagiarism here without really good evidence or hearsay. Doing that would be mean and unfair, I think, and you might get sued by someone who worked with King Crimson if that person is still around and might care about such things. Being so obscure, it probably does not matter much from a legal perspective, but it would still not be right. I am not a lawyer, though, so do not come to me for legal advice if you find yourself in trouble!

Since many of you will not have heard of King Crimson let alone heard that album -- King Crimson is not to be confused with King Diamond, King Kardashian, King's X or King Kong, those are different -- I am doing this poll as "tracks". These tracks, not to be confused with what a train runs on, are taken from the albums that I have been talking about. Because King Crimson has "Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part One and Part Two" on its album,and The Sunpilots does not have a part two for its album, but instead it has "Chapter I: King of the Sugarcoated Tongues", I would normally stick to just "Part One" vs. "Chapter One"; however, to give King Crimson a better chance, I will allow both parts of "Larks' Tongues In Aspic". That might be more fair to King Crimson. But no, I will not put "Larks Tongues... one and deux" together in the same poll option, I will separate those tracks even if this is not so fair to King Crimson.

I hope you enjoy discovering this Crimson fellow as much as I have.

Here is the music to compare and make your decision. I hope people will give King Crimson a chance and do not automatically go with just what they know already because I like for things to be fair.

The Sunpilots - "King of the Sugarcoated Tongues" off the album King of the Sugarcoated Tongues (2012)

King Crimson "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part I" off the album Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)

And here is "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part II" (1973?). It seems that Mr. King Crimson renamed himself to Mr. Dream Theater for this release, maybe because King Crimson was embarrassed about this one. I think it may be an early demo version that was meant to be destroyed or maybe it was recorded on a night when there was boring acid going around?   This King Crimson one released under the Dream Theater alias is not exactly bad, it just does not sound so inspired to me. Maybe better drugs were needed that night..

So which of these is King for you?

Edited by Logan - June 10 2019 at 16:42
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 18:44
Why would they be called King Crimson when they should be the Crimson King?  Talk about obvious and blatant plagiarism of the Bible.  And I hear they even had a song about the blackness of Bibles.  Sacrilege!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 19:39
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Why would they be called King Crimson when they should be the Crimson King?  Talk about obvious and blatant plagiarism of the Bible.  And I hear they even had a song about the blackness of Bibles.  Sacrilege!

The great deceivers... A plague on them. May they be smitten with extreme prejudice. Or at least a holy lawsuit of Biblical proportions spearheaded by the Westboro Baptist Church for sacrilegious intellectual piracy if this issue has escaped His attention. God hates frauds.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2019 at 22:15
 Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part One.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 02:21
My Pentecostal mood lingers on... :

From this list: Part Two, just ahead of that track from down under.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 06:27
When it comes to discussing plagiarism, what about this then?

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 09:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

The great deceivers... A plague on them. May they be smitten with extreme prejudice. Or at least a holy lawsuit of Biblical proportions spearheaded by the Westboro Baptist Church for sacrilegious intellectual piracy if this issue has escaped His attention. God hates frauds.

LOLClap

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 11:13
^ All praise and yucks to you for being the Genesis of that. Some might even find it rather revelatory.

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

My Pentecostal mood lingers on... :

From this list: Part Two, just ahead of that track from down under.

I actually enjoyed that.

Fun fact: most fish do have tongues, although very different from our own and not as palatable as a lark's tongue, in aspic or not (with the possible exception of certain Scottish Fish). A Spotted Dick (I know several people at this forum have spotted Derek William Dick), if you've ever had this pimply delectable, is quite tasty (a pudding for those who don't know).

https://creaturesfeatures.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/what-if-fish-from-marillion-was-a-fish/

My wife is Pentecostal, or was, we don't talk about such stuff, and I have witnessed "speaking in tongues," or as I prefer to call it, gibberish, quite a few times. ;)

^^ As for that Cardiacs "Day is Gone", Lewian, (lovely song), I will have to think about it.   I think my brain is not firing on all one cylinder right now.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 17:14
Well, some of the Sunpilots song sounds pretty close to some of the Cardiacs in my ears. (Although admittedly not quite as close as I thought first when I heard the Sunpilot's one.)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 02:18

That's the cover art of Piranha Mask Replica Shocked!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 04:57
LTIA part 2

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 10:41
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

https://creaturesfeatures.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/what-if-fish-from-marillion-was-a-fish/

That's the cover art of Piranha Mask Replica Shocked!

Captain Trout, eat your beefheart out.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Well, some of the Sunpilots song sounds pretty close to some of the Cardiacs in my ears. (Although admittedly not quite as close as I thought first when I heard the Sunpilot's one.)

Ah... I did notice the similarities, and thought that might be what you were referring to (the Cardiacs one appeals to me much more), but feared assuming.   The most comparable musical quality I hear is a fairly generic sound, I'd say. Anyhoo, that makes more sense than another thought I had from an absurdist angle, that somehow 70s King Crimson may be plagiarising Cardiacs (King Cardiacson).

Edited by Logan - June 12 2019 at 10:43
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 11:02
Lark`s Tongues PT One  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply