Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make your own Yes album!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:31
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

No.   Just no.   Their albums were very carefully crafted.   You can't just cherry pick songs, shove them together on some imaginary record, and expect it to be as impactful (or even very good).   Tull maybe, but not Yes.
This is a travesty of a mockery.
Sorry I have to take issue with this one . Every band that has been around for any length of time ( Including Yes) has done this in the form of " best of" or "Greatest Hits " (Classic Yes comes to mind plus about a million live albums)  I don't think I would classify it as a travesty.

You wouldn't?   I know I would classify most Best Of's & Greatest Hits as exactly that.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No.   Just no.   Their albums were very carefully crafted.   You can't just cherry pick songs, shove them together on some imaginary record, and expect it to be as impactful (or even very good).   Tull maybe, but not Yes.

Back in the 90s, i bought a compilation called "Highlights - The Very Best of Yes", i thought it was great, made me explore the band even more.
And that's great, but when's the last time you spun it?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:37

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Back in the 90s, i bought a compilation called "Highlights - The Very Best of Yes", i thought it was great, made me explore the band even more.
And that's great, but when's the last time you spun it?

it's been a while, but the point I was trying to make was that that compilation did its trick. 
You are taking this list way too seriously it seems. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 13:38
Of course, I'm a proghead.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 14:22

Sorry I have to take issue with this one . Every band that has been around for any length of time ( Including Yes) has done this in the form of " best of" or "Greatest Hits " (Classic Yes comes to mind plus about a million live albums)  I don't think I would classify it as a travesty.

You wouldn't?   I know I would classify most Best Of's & Greatest Hits as exactly that.

I think you are missing part of the point of these threads. If you look at the song choices most people aren't picking Roundabout or Owner of a Lonely Heart. Many are picking deeper tracks that resonate with them. 
 I haven't seen any list that look like a cookie cutter "BEST Of" album.  Everyone has some surprises on their list , that's what makes them interesting. 
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 14:27
- Clap
- Roundabout
- Close To The Edge
- Excerpts from The Six Wives Of Henri VIII (Yessongs)
- The Gates Of Delirium
- Awaken
- Don't Kill The Wale
- Starship Trooper (Keys To Ascenion - my favourite Wurm version)

By the way, these are nice topics, inspire me to listen to some to Classic Prog after many years, a kind of forgotten beauties!

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 12 2019 at 14:30
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 15:22
Looking Around
Sweetness
Yours Is No Disgrace
Starship Trooper
Roundabout
Owner of a Lonely Heart
It Can Happen
Leave It
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 15:55

I think you are missing part of the point of these threads. If you look at the song choices most people aren't picking Roundabout or Owner of a Lonely Heart. Many are picking deeper tracks that resonate with them. 
 I haven't seen any list that look like a cookie cutter "BEST Of" album.  Everyone has some surprises on their list , that's what makes them interesting. 

Well, it would be kind of difficult(though not impossible)to put a list of Yes songs that were just hits or songs trying to be. I'm sure you could do it but it would probably be much easier to do that with Genesis. For me personally I like a mixture. Sure, most of my favorite prog is the epics and longer tracks but I kind ofd like it when a band says f- you to predictability(and often their long time older fans who expects them to do a certain thing)and puts out a song like "owner of a lonely heart" or "rhythm of love." It's why I also don't hate later Genesis even though with them it was more the rule than the exception. A lot of fans don't seem to understand that a lot of bands get tired of doing the same thing over and over again whether that's prog or more poppy stuff. You have to mix things up at some point to keep things fresh(to some degree anyway). Plus there was also the factor that bands had to survive(another thing many longtime fans can't seem to understand)and had to put out more commercial material to put food on the table and pay the bills.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 16:28
Yeah!
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 16:31
Daggone. FKC's on fire today.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 00:57

No I get it, it's 'Create your dream album'. 

Yeah... no.  It ignores the structure, order and rhythm with which the band set down the cuts.  In Yes's case that's fundamental to their music as a whole.  Even shuffling tracks on a Yes record is questionable though I have done it. 

1987 called, it wants its mix-tape back.

Edited by Atavachron - June 13 2019 at 01:29
oka2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oka2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 01:35
Side A:
Cinema
Tempus Fugit
Perpetual Change
Heart of the Sunrise

Side B:
Awaken
Starship Trooper
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:28
Side A:
Awaken
Future Times/Rejoice
Yours is no disgrace
Going for the one

Side B:
Sound Chaser
Everydays
Heart of the Sunrise

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 09:47
I listened to my dream album yesterday. It was interesting to hear how their sound changed over the years. I also tacked on Rhythm of Love, The Calling, Open Your Eyes, Fly From Here, and Believe Again.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 09:59
Big Generator ... chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 10:27

No I get it, it's 'Create your dream album'. 

Yeah... no.  It ignores the structure, order and rhythm with which the band set down the cuts.  In Yes's case that's fundamental to their music as a whole.  Even shuffling tracks on a Yes record is questionable though I have done it. 

1987 called, it wants its mix-tape back.

I apologize to the Yes gods for committing blasphemy . I'm going to call Jon Anderson later today to beg his forgiveness!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 13:38
1. Then
2. Perpetual Change
3. Siberian Khatru
4. The Revealing Science of God
5. Going for the One
6. Release, Release
7. Owner of a Lonely Heart
8. Love Will Find a Way
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 15:57
1. Roundabout
2. Starship Trooper
3. Close To The Edge
4. The Revealing Science Of God
5. Sound Chaser
6. Awaken
7. Tempus Fugit
8. Endless Dream
Songs cast a light on you
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 18:44
Originally posted by oka2112 oka2112 wrote:

Side A:
Cinema
Tempus Fugit
Perpetual Change
Heart of the Sunrise

Side B:
Awaken
Starship Trooper

Nice sequencing, “Cinema” —> “Tempus Fugit” and “Awaken” —> “Starship Trooper” especially.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 16:31
"Survival"
"Then"
"I've Seen All Good People"
"Heart of the Sunrise"
"And You and I"
"Gates of Delirium"
"Awaken"
"Into the Lens"
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>