Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grendel and Supper's Ready are a match

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grendel and Supper's Ready are a match
    Posted: June 12 2019 at 02:32
There is quite a similarity in Marillions "Grendel" and Genesis "Supper's Ready"

https://youtu.be/Rxp5KJOHqmI?t=753    (timestamped)

Fish was quite a big Genesis fan and i think the similarity with Apocalypse 9/8 is inevitable. And yes, I know that many of you progprofessors already know this :)

Edited by Foxprog - June 12 2019 at 02:34
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 02:43
There is an obvious nod to the 9/8 section of SR, in Grendl, although it's not in 9/8 IIRC

Apart from that I don't think there's too much simularity.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 02:45
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

There is an obvious nod to the 9/8 section of SR, in Grendl, although it's not in 9/8 IIRC

Haha yea, I just meant that part
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 03:52
Fish was however more a fan of Peter Hammill, as the cover of "Fugazi" proves

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 04:08
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Indeed, and although he is more often compared to Gabriel, I think he sounds more like Hammill, at least on the debut album.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 07:06
There might be some similarities, but not much, really.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 11:02

In what way? 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 23:44
When I first heard Marillion, I thought it was a reunion between Peter Gabriel and the rest of Genesis. That song was Jigsaw from Fugazi. Repeated hearings proved otherwise, but I still dug the music. I had heard that they did not deliberately chose to sound like early Genesis but that since they took a similar approach they created a similar sound. As to the Gendel/Supper's Ready comparison, I have never thought the latter a copy in any way of the former.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 02:31
Back when Marillion first emerged the debt they owed to early Genesis resulted in quite a bit of piss-taking in the UK. There was even a snippet in a book published by Not The Nine O'Clock News (a popular TV comedy show) that quoted Fish as hotly denying any resemblances in their new song ‘Supper's Nearly Ready’
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:34
If you really want to know how similar, fishs voice and peter gabriels take a listen to fishs cover album,which covers, I know what i like (in your wardrobe )
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 06:05
The bigger similarity to Supper's Ready is IQ's "Harvest of Souls" which has the same structure (still a great song though).
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 08:00
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The bigger similarity to Supper's Ready is IQ's "Harvest of Souls" which has the same structure (still a great song though).

I was thinking the exact same thing. Sounds more like Supper's Ready and it's way better than Grendel too.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 06:20
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Sounds more like Supper's Ready and it's way better than Grendel too.

Good to know, will listen it.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 06:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Yup, never really understood how they could be so much compared beyond Jester's Tears.
Even at its most blatant, Marillion was never a Genesis clone... sure it's evident it was an early influence (amongst others), but it was impossible to confuse the two.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 07:50
This topic triggers strong prog memories! Because early Eighties a prog friend had bought the brandnew Grendel EP in London, and was eager to share his discovery with a group of fanatic progheads, including me. We considered Grendel as a very interesting epic, but then That Supper's Ready Moment ….immediately we all nailed Marillion as a blatant Genesis clone! One year later I noticed the brandnew Script album in my favourite record shop, I decided to give Marillion a second chance, the rest is history: it's one of my favourite prog albums, and I consider it as one of the best post Classic Prog efforts. But I have never understood why Marillion put that too obviously Supper's Ready part into the epic Grendel ….
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 08:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

In what way? 

Just have a closer look at the LPs on the floor (Back Cover)
 Post Reply Post Reply