Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wizzard? Why aren't they on the main site?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaravanMadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wizzard? Why aren't they on the main site?
    Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:37
Hello,
I just heard a track called Carlsberg Special by a well known (christmas!) Band called Wizzard. I'm sure you will have heard of them. But have you heard this track, with its jazzy loops, proggy riffs, flutes and harpsichord to boot?! I am floored by the unexpected gem I have just geard. My brain wants more Big smile. I find myself, minutes later, on ebay and amazon looking for a deal on Wizzards Brew (1973) which is the album.

Ok. So I come here to learn about the band and find out just what prog-ness they have evolved from (and to), to find, well ... nothing! Under 'W' they are not to be found and apart from the odd reference in a review referencing ELO or Roy Wood, there is nothing. Cry
This is one of those hidden gems of prog as far as I'm concerned. Especially as everyone thinks they know Wizzard and will already have dismissed them due to that song!
Don't they deserve a place on the most thorough prog site online?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:45
why don't you suggest them, post a link so we can hear them and they'll be evaluated and then, if they fit a subgenre, they'll be added. 

Edited by Cristi - June 13 2019 at 05:55
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 05:48
I'm not that familiar with Wizzard.

Wizzard has been suggested to Prog Archives: Wizzard (UK) for Heavy prog (CLICK)

You might want to post your thoughts in that thread, since that is the forum used for submitting bands to be considered for our database inclusion.

Here's the rateyourmusic page: https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/wizzard

As a general note, here's our Band submission policy (CLICK).

Edited by Logan - June 13 2019 at 05:50
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 06:15
I've always loved "See My Baby Jive" which has so much going on I'm sure there must be a kitchen sink in there somewhere, but I'm not sure I'd consider them to be a prog band.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 06:35
Well, one of the tracks on that album is over 13 minutes, it must be prog!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 08:06
Roy Wood, just a phenomenally creative guy!  Ex The Move and ELO.  And produced a wonderful solo recording by Annie Haslam, Annie In Wonderland.  Saw him play with Wizzard (bagpipes!) and met Flo and Eddie in the lobby back in the day at that show.  Smile  I also love his solo LP's, Boulders and Mustard.

Edited by Snicolette - June 13 2019 at 08:07
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 10:30
Wizzard were fun, but absolutely never a part of either the prog, or wider art rock, scene. They were a pop band, albeit a jolly good one.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 12:21
^They were fun but not really prog rock imho...though certainly not just pop either.

(I never thought of ELO as prog rock either ,but they are on here as 'Crossover'...whatever that means. ;)
To my ears Lynne always wanted to be the Beatles but even more 'artsy'.)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
CaravanMadman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaravanMadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 10:01
Some interesting replies here. I checked that request that exists already - I also manged to listen to the album via amazon music unlimited and I realise now that the track I heard was not representative of the album. What I mean is that that track was undeniably proggy but each of the tracks on there are in a world of their own. Some are filled with experimentation and styles of all shapes and some are reflections of the time, just pure glam rock (Not something i can appreciate.)
So no, even I don't think Wizzard are prog rock LOL
I do think they could've been!! Carlsberg Special is a grand example of what they weren't but could've been. I will always keep that track on a playlist somewhere in the car.
Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 10:24
Regarding that connection of ELO and Wood and Lynne.....I enjoyed The Move better than either ELO or Wizzard...their page here
https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3776  they get dumped into proto prog....
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 11:34
Yes I also loved The Move the best of them....They also covered US Ars Nova's "Fields of People," a great 60's tune.  
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 14:17
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Yes I also loved The Move the best of them....They also covered US Ars Nova's "Fields of People," a great 60's tune.  

Yes...I absolutely love the way The Move did 'Fields of People'...and really love the Last Thing on My Mind by Paxton....both from Shazam.
I recall Ars Nova but currently don't own any....I'll have to ck them out regarding old vinyl at the local place.
Thanks for reminding me of that.
Smile
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 19:28
Tom Paxton was also a fine writer of the day (still alive and touring, btw).  The Move's "Brontosaurus," was such a fun song, too, and "Beautiful Daughter," such a beautiful Beatles-y pop song, with a twist, like most of The Move's pieces....and although I am not a huge ELO fan, I have to say that "Can't Get It Out Of My Head," is just gorgeous.  As far as Ars Nova, I love their "Pavan For My Lady," in particular, just so pretty and ornate, yet also, in a way, simple.  

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 19:39
Always liked Wizard.  And "The Move".
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 06:27
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Roy Wood, just a phenomenally creative guy!  Ex The Move and ELO.  And produced a wonderful solo recording by Annie Haslam, Annie In Wonderland.  Saw him play with Wizzard (bagpipes!) and met Flo and Eddie in the lobby back in the day at that show.  Smile  I also love his solo LP's, Boulders and Mustard.

Magnificent material, however a lot of it fit more into a style that would be comical and satirical, than anything else ... and considering that ... "progressive", then, becomes a very difficult thing ... we would have to honor Dudley Moore for his many "progressive" and "experimental" pieces of music done with comedy to make fun of something else ... and that is not something that many folks here can handle well, I don't think ... otherwise, the BONZO DOG DOO DAH BAND would be considered PROGRESSIVE, because of the vast nature of their music and how far they took so much of it ... breaking it down, is crazy and only a handful of songs come off as "songs" as opposed to really well thought out pieces of music ... with lyrics that are just as out there as most anyone!

I ended up liking ROY/WIZZARD a lot more than the schmaltzy stuff that ELO set their minds to doing. Thus, in this manner, Roy should be considered a lot more progressive than ELO will ever be.

There are some things I miss ... I understood, in the early days that EDDIE AND THE FALCONS was another wonderful thing by Roy ... but sadly got lost as at the time, people did not think that satires of that early rock'n'roll stuff was cool ... how dare you make fun of Elvis, kind of thing ... and in the end, it wasn't even satirical ... it was a magnificent album, and the poor guy, as clever and good as he is a musician, will never get credit for it ... but hopefully, at least he knows inside his heart ... where the creative spirit lived and died.

Getting a bunch of folks here to add this, will probably be hard, since it does not have the thing and charisma that we think others have created in order to make their work more attractive, when in the end, it is not really even that original! And here, someone like one guy, will get in for the fun of it, and someone like Roy won't even be heard beyond half a cut! 

I would vote for this, and also to lower ELO's standard! They were not that great after the first 4 albums, even though there are a few pieces of music that we love to listen to.

NP: MUSTARD

Edited by moshkito - June 16 2019 at 07:21
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply