FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best comeback album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MoebiusStreet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoebiusStreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best comeback album?
    Posted: June 19 2019 at 16:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I have listened to FWX the least, don't know why, I've always enjoyed it.

Likewise. Not my favorite of FW, but on my short list.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:22

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The last two albums by Fates are superb, the best since Inside Out and APSoG. I'm really glad they regained their footing. 

they've never lost their footing, Jim Matheos has always been active, collaborating, side projects and so on. 
Ray was in Redemption, most members were involved in something. 
The four OSI albums are great. 

Yep. Ray also put out some great albums with Engine.
Among Jim's side projects were a couple very nice acoustic new age albums.
Frank Aresti also did some excellent work with Dragonspoon.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:19

The last two albums by Fates are superb, the best since Inside Out and APSoG. I'm really glad they regained their footing. 

they've never lost their footing, Jim Matheos has always been active, collaborating, side projects and so on. 

I meant FW itself, not the guys or their general activity. Disconnected and FWX weren't too hot. They're the Presto and Roll the Bones of their catalogue, but even those albums have a bunch of standout songs to balance the less inspired material.

As for Redemption and Engine, they're alright, but they're not Fates. I'm not into OSI, either.

I love Disconnected, it's all killer no filler album for me. I have listened to FWX the least, don't know why, I've always enjoyed it. 

I also don't think Presto and RtB are bad albums. Catchy and enjoyable for me. Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:06

I meant FW itself, not the guys or their general activity. Disconnected and FWX weren't too hot. They're the Presto and Roll the Bones of their catalogue, but even those albums have a bunch of standout songs to balance the less inspired material.

As for Redemption and Engine, they're alright, but they're not Fates. I'm not into OSI, either.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 14:01

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 13:55
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 13:34
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

I'll add in Fates Warning; Darkness in a Different Light.  Very good album, a full nine years after FWX

sorry to sound like a a*hole, but I've already mentioned it LOL

No worries.  Sorry I overlooked your post.  Glad someone else thinks so.  My glass is half full.  

I'm actually happy you brought FW up, they are criminally under-appreciated if you ask me Big smile
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 12:37

I'll add in Fates Warning; Darkness in a Different Light.  Very good album, a full nine years after FWX

sorry to sound like a a*hole, but I've already mentioned it LOL

No worries.  Sorry I overlooked your post.  Glad someone else thinks so.  My glass is half full.  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 12:27

sorry to sound like an a*hole, but I've already mentioned it LOL

Edited by Cristi - June 18 2019 at 12:40
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 12:20

In the non-prog realm, southern rockers The Outlaws released a positively stellar comeback with 1994's Diablo Canyon.
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 11:27
I'll get on the Discipline train. One of my all-time favorites!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 10:08
^ If you say so dude. ;)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 08:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Detail.

I gave plenty of details(assuming you are addressing me). 

At this point let's just agree to disagree as to what makes a comeback album. ;)

I still can't get on board with LDV being a comeback album though. For me it's not about quality so much as a return. The Moodies didn't return with that album so I don't view it as a comeback. 

Your description of a comeback is as valid as mine, dude, but this thing you're focusing on, with a quite condescending attitude btw (''Some people on here don't seem to understand what a comeback album is''), is an insignificant detail to me.

Detail. Tongue

Exactly, you finally got it ;)

Cheers.
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 08:42
In a litteral sense , and in my understanding, a prog comeback album should be from a band who haven't recorded any since the golden era (say the 70's). And i feel there should be an emotive factor faced to a return nobody would even dare dreaming of.  So in my understanding would qualifie:

Gryphon's Restoration; 40 years after Treason

Banco's Transiberiana; the first prog album since 1981's Canto di Primavera

and mostly for me, and yet to be recognised by the prog community:  

Fiori Seul Ensemble, 2cd set of new reworked versions of mainly all three Harmonium's records by their at time leader, lost on the music front since then.

Knowing that this won't be very popular as an answer to this poll.

And yet i like and second Eris Pluvia and Strawbs propositions ...

Edited by bertolino - June 18 2019 at 08:54
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 17:48
[
Well, being that the band was broken up and did eventually go by the name Yes I think we can nonetheless call it a comeback album even though in my opinion it was a very different sound for them and they probably should have called themselves Cinema. However, the idea of selling more albums and making more money was appealing to the record company if not the members of Cinema/Yes themselves. 

The only post 90125 Yes album I think that would qualify is Fly From Here even though they weren't actually broken up.
[/QUOTE]

90125 had a lot to do with Trevor Horn who was one of the biggest producers at the time and his 80's techniques are all over that album---which I think is so dated---he also wrote most of FFH.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 14:11

Detail.

At this point let's just agree to disagree as to what makes a comeback album. ;)

I still can't get on board with LDV being a comeback album though. For me it's not about quality so much as a return. The Moodies didn't return with that album so I don't view it as a comeback. 

Your description of a comeback is as valid as mine, dude, but this thing you're focusing on, with a quite condescending attitude btw (''Some people on here don't seem to understand what a comeback album is''), is an insignificant detail to me.

Detail. Tongue
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 13:49

Detail.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 12:57
Not sure if anyone has mentioned "Grandine Il Vento" also called "Symphony of Light" by RENAISSANCE.  It isn't great but it's definitely good with gusts to excellent, and, although it has not led to a sequel, it helped propel the band to increased live activity since.  Unfortunately Michael Dunford died not long after the album was initially released (2010) so Annie is the only "original" member at this point.

Since it was 8 years between "Dancing to the Devil's beat" and "The Ferryman's Curse" (2017), and since Ferryman's curse is arguably the best STRAWBS studio album since "Ghosts", I think it qualifies as a comeback.

Definitely "Third Eye Light" (2010) by ERIS PLUVIA would qualify, appearing 19 years after their debut, and, while not quite as magical, is excellent, while their more prolific output since then is a case of diminishing return.

Some have mentioned the last 2 ELOY albums as comebacks but "Visionary" (2009) and "The Vision, the Sword and the Pyre" are nowhere near up to even the level of "Ocean 2" (1998), which sort of qualifies as a comeback as it's very good and appears 4 years after "Tides Return Forever".

Brazil's TEMPUS FUGIT had a break of almost a decade between "The Dawn before the Storm" and "Chessboard" (2008), which was excellent.  

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 00:41

I forgot about Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers. 
Come to think of it even The Battle Rages On was (kinda) a comeback album. 

90125 was not meant to be a Yes album, as it started as a Squire/Rabin project they were gonna call Cinema. But with 4 former Yes members in the line-up... well, you all know how it went in the end. 
And BTW I love the album. LOL

Well, being that the band was broken up and did eventually go by the name Yes I think we can nonetheless call it a comeback album even though in my opinion it was a very different sound for them and they probably should have called themselves Cinema. However, the idea of selling more albums and making more money was appealing to the record company if not the members of Cinema/Yes themselves. 

The only post 90125 Yes album I think that would qualify is Fly From Here even though they weren't actually broken up.

I wasn't arguing that 90125 is not a come back album, I was actually reacting to someone above (like 90125 is not a "legit" Yes album), it did not come right. My bad... 

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 00:31

Ok, so then Going for the One and Peter Gabriel's SO were come back albums? :P

You could say Calling All Stations was  a comeback album. Whether it was a good comeback album is a whole different story. Wink

A good comeback album is one that breathes new life into a band, but in the case of Calling All Stations, it finished the band off and harmed Ray Wilson's career. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>