Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best comeback album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Some people on here don't seem to understand what a comeback album is. A comeback album isn't a good album after a band has done mediocre albums. A comeback album is an album where the band returns after a long hiatus or reforms after being broken up. 

That's a very narrow definition if you ask me. I would say coming back after a long hiatus is one type of comeback, finally doing something great after a long period of little inspiration is another - an artistic comeback.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 17:23
[but LDV followed both a significant period of inactivity and a lineup change.]

No, it didn't because LDV came out after Octave which means it was released only three years later which is not very significant. Octave came out six years after SS which is a much bigger gap and more significance. Lineup changes don't mean much. Look at Yes and KC. Are we going to say they are all cgomeback albums every time they had a lineup change? Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 17:23

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 16 2019 at 17:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 17:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I forgot about Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers. 
Come to think of it even The Battle Rages On was (kinda) a comeback album. 

90125 was not meant to be a Yes album, as it started as a Squire/Rabin project they were gonna call Cinema. But with 4 former Yes members in the line-up... well, you all know how it went in the end. 
And BTW I love the album. LOL

Well, being that the band was broken up and did eventually go by the name Yes I think we can nonetheless call it a comeback album even though in my opinion it was a very different sound for them and they probably should have called themselves Cinema. However, the idea of selling more albums and making more money was appealing to the record company if not the members of Cinema/Yes themselves. 

The only post 90125 Yes album I think that would qualify is Fly From Here even though they weren't actually broken up.
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 18:01
RELAYER , the hello goodbye album!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 18:14
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Some people on here don't seem to understand what a comeback album is. A comeback album isn't a good album after a band has done mediocre albums. A comeback album is an album where the band returns after a long hiatus or reforms after being broken up. 

That's a very narrow definition if you ask me. I would say coming back after a long hiatus is one type of comeback, finally doing something great after a long period of little inspiration is another - an artistic comeback.

I'm with you Anders. A comeback may be a return after some considerable absence, or it may be seen as a return to form (achieving critical or commercial success, or becoming fashionable in some sense again...). I'd argue that it needn't even be that lengthy a period. A band might release two great albums, then the next one a year later is considered poor, then the next one a year later is considered successful and called a comeback. For instance, "After releasing three great albums, 2014's "Taste Me Pegleg", 2015's "The Pirate's Booty" and 2016's "This Pirate is Arrrr Rated", in 2017 Captain Hooker (aka William Kidding) released the atrocious flop, "Swab Me Poop Deck"; however, the Captain's next album "Yo Ho Hoes & Mo' Hoes" proved to be a major comeback garnering huge critical and popular success."

Edited by Logan - June 16 2019 at 18:15
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 18:34
Ok, so then Going for the One and Peter Gabriel's SO were come back albums? :P

You could say Calling All Stations was  a comeback album. Whether it was a good comeback album is a whole different story. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 16 2019 at 18:38
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 19:17
To me, a three year hiatus is a significant break for a group that at its peak released 7 top shelf albums in the space of 6 years. Doing so with a lineup change made it even more so, again especially since prior to that lineup change, they were the model of lineup longevity, having carried the same 5 for over a decade.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 19:21
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

To me, a three year hiatus is a significant break for a group that at its peak released 7 top shelf albums in the space of 6 years. Doing so with a lineup change made it even more so, again especially since prior to that lineup change, they were the model of lineup longevity, having carried the same 5 for over a decade.

See, I don't really agree with that. I have heard people call "tango in the night" by Fleetwood Mac a comeback album. I don't see it though although it is at least a good album. I think as bands progress it's expected that later on they won't be as productive. I thought Roots to Branches was a very good later Jethro Tull album but being that they had one out a few years earlier and it's later in their career and they didn't break up I wouldn't call that one a comeback album either although according to the rules you guys are using that one(as well as the Fleetwood Mac album I mentioned)would qualify.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 16 2019 at 19:22
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 19:28
Detail.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 19:28

You could say Calling All Stations was  a comeback album. Whether it was a good comeback album is a whole different story. Wink

Some might call them comeback albums, not everyone will agree.

I wouldn't call Going For the One a comeback album, as I think the former album Relayer to be better. If you just mean because they came back with that album after three years absence, then one could call it a comeback from that perspective. I wouldn't call So a comeback album (maybe if the former year's Birdy soundtrack was thought to be lacking in merit).

Commonly, in my parlance, a comeback refers to a return to former success either artistically or in terms of popularity. For that reason, I wouldn't use the term comeback for Calling All Stations, even though they came back with a poor album after some years of inactivity.

My point, though, was that a comeback album can be "a good album after a band has done mediocre albums" and it need not only refer to "an album where the band returns after a long hiatus or reforms after being broken up."

If I'm missing your point...
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 19:33

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

See, I don't really agree with that. I have heard people call "tango in the night" by Fleetwood Mac a comeback album. I don't see it though although it is at least a good album. I think as bands progress it's expected that later on they won't be as productive.

That does seem to be the case. That doesn't change my analysis though.

I also tend to think of LDV as a comeback under the criterion others have mentioned; an artistic comeback. I really like Octave, but even with that in mind, it's well below the big seven that preceded it and, IMO, LDV, which is also a superior album.

So LDV isn't the longest hiatus, or the biggest lineup change, or the best Moodies album, but it's close enough in each category that when all are put together, I think of it as a great comeback.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 20:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I wouldn't call Going For the One a comeback album, as I think the former album Relayer to be better. If you just mean because they came back with that album after three years absence, then one could call it a comeback from that perspective. I wouldn't call So a comeback album (maybe if the former year's Birdy soundtrack was thought to be lacking in merit).

Commonly, in my parlance, a comeback refers to a return to former success either artistically or in terms of popularity. For that reason, I wouldn't use the term comeback for Calling All Stations, even though they came back with a poor album after some years of inactivity.

My point, though, was that a comeback album can be "a good album after a band has done mediocre albums" and it need not only refer to "an album where the band returns after a long hiatus or reforms after being broken up."

I disagree about calling GFTO from Yes not a comeback album, because the word comeback has different meanings, in the case of GFTO it means that The Caped Crusader returned, after leaving Yes a few years before. The comeback was even in style, and in harmony with The Hippie With The Iron Fist!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 21:13
Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I disagree about calling GFTO from Yes not a comeback album, because the word comeback has different meanings, in the case of GFTO it means that The Caped Crusader returned, after leaving Yes a few years before. The comeback was even in style, and in harmony with The Hippie With The Iron Fist!

Haha, okay. The return of the caped crusader and keyboard warrior whose SJW superhero name is "Woke Man".   Indeed, "comeback" can be interpreted in various ways.

I wasn't claiming that it is not a comeback album, merely that I didn't consider it to be a comeback album (in the context of what I was trying to illustrate with the fictitious Captain Hooker before nor due to my limited knowledge). While I heard the album once, I didn't even know the personnel on that album. It's not one I would have commented on had it not been raised in response to my earlier post as I'm not much of a Yes fan.

Magma's K.A. (mentioned in the OP) would by choice of comeback album.

While I don't actually think it's as great as what came earliest (I even prefer To keep From Crying), I might also mention Comus' Out of the Coma despite sounding somewhat like a pastiche of itself. When I think of Out of the Coma, I think of Spinal Tap's Back From the Dead. Not Prog, but actually Spinal Tap's Back From the Dead was a good comeback for me, and actually so was Break Like the Wind before that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 21:28
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Detail.

I gave plenty of details(assuming you are addressing me). 

At this point let's just agree to disagree as to what makes a comeback album. ;)

I still can't get on board with LDV being a comeback album though. For me it's not about quality so much as a return. The Moodies didn't return with that album so I don't view it as a comeback. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 16 2019 at 21:32
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 23:04
Nobody mentioned these.  The suggestions thus far were good.  I am adding these to broaden and humor the discussion a bit.

Marillion-Brave (because Season's End was kinda weak).
Supertramp-Brother Where You Bound (Supertramp III)
Supertramp-Crime of the Century (Supertramp II)
Alan Parsons-Try Anything Once (It had been a while and this was a good return to form)
10cc-Deceptive Bends (sans Godley & Creme)
Utopia-RA (the beginning of the stable quartet line up)
King Crimson-Larks Tongues in Aspic (the beginning of possibly the best line up)
Brand X-Xcommunication (After 10 year break ... still good).

That's all I can conjure for now!  Fun topic! Clap

listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 00:20
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Black Moon by ELP is criminally underappreciated. There's not a bad track on the album.

I played it to death back in the day and they were right on the money with the tour that followed. My feeling is that it was a solid comeback album but they didn't take any risks at all and very little is actually 'classic'. The best track might be Changing States but there is a better version (imo) of this on Emerson's solo album that was also called Changing States although the track on there is called Another Frontier . The solo album, although released after Black Moon, was recorded about 3 years earlier. This often causes understandable confusion! Also the origin of Romeo and Juliet was a track called Montagues and Capulets from the same solo album and sessions.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 00:25
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Rush – Vapor Trails.

Seems many don't realize the band had unofficially called it a day between Test For Echo and VT. At his daughter's funeral service, Neil told Geddy and Alex that the band was as good as done. VT should be regarded a miracle. I know I do: The songs therein are the best they'd composed since perhaps Power Windows. A corker of an album.

I agree with how good that album is and also the comments re Power Windows. Also it was my only chance to see Rush as they had given up touring outside the continent of America until VT.
Neal obviously felt that being a hermit was not going to be the way to deal with his terrible personal tragedies. Rush was not merely just a band but a support network for him I suspect.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 00:31

A good comeback album is one that breathes new life into a band, but in the case of Calling All Stations, it finished the band off and harmed Ray Wilson's career. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2019 at 00:41

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I forgot about Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers. 
Come to think of it even The Battle Rages On was (kinda) a comeback album. 

90125 was not meant to be a Yes album, as it started as a Squire/Rabin project they were gonna call Cinema. But with 4 former Yes members in the line-up... well, you all know how it went in the end. 
And BTW I love the album. LOL

Well, being that the band was broken up and did eventually go by the name Yes I think we can nonetheless call it a comeback album even though in my opinion it was a very different sound for them and they probably should have called themselves Cinema. However, the idea of selling more albums and making more money was appealing to the record company if not the members of Cinema/Yes themselves. 

The only post 90125 Yes album I think that would qualify is Fly From Here even though they weren't actually broken up.

I wasn't arguing that 90125 is not a come back album, I was actually reacting to someone above (like 90125 is not a "legit" Yes album), it did not come right. My bad... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>