Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - who is the most incontinent artist (band or solo)?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

who is the most incontinent artist (band or solo)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 08:09
Sorry but Phrozemlight has more than 300 full length albums (excluding Lives, EPs and compilatioms. It's almost the same track repeated for ages, but this is what the Berlin school sometimes looks like.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Hawkwind is the most incontinent band of all.

I did a check of their releases on Discogs, and this is what I found:

261 unique releases (albums, singles, compilations, videos, misc) -- not counting re-releases of the same album

1060 different compositions (i.e. named songs)

So, by my calculations, any one release contains only, on average, 1060/261 = 4 new tracks -- the rest being repeats!

It's actually even worse considering that many of the named compositions are actually repeats, but are counted as different because of spelling variations, or errors in Discogs bookkeeping. So there are actually fewer than 1060 unique compositions spread out over the 261 releases.

I mean, consider "Master of the Universe". It appears as 125 different recordings (a total of 351 different tracks) on their 261 releases. Almost one out of two releases will contain this song.

I like Hawkwind's music. I just don't like how they keep recycling the same music over and over.

There are certainly myriad compilations/collections and live releases, but they do have many wholly unique studio albums, all the way up to the present.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 07:37
It looks like we have another contender in Phrozenlight. Wow, this guy(?)is heading near Buckethead proliferation.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 07:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Hawkwind is the most incontinent band of all.

I did a check of their releases on Discogs, and this is what I found:

261 unique releases (albums, singles, compilations, videos, misc) -- not counting re-releases of the same album

1060 different compositions (i.e. named songs)

So, by my calculations, any one release contains only, on average, 1060/261 = 4 new tracks -- the rest being repeats!

It's actually even worse considering that many of the named compositions are actually repeats, but are counted as different because of spelling variations, or errors in Discogs bookkeeping. So there are actually fewer than 1060 unique compositions spread out over the 261 releases.

I mean, consider "Master of the Universe". It appears as 125 different recordings (a total of 351 different tracks) on their 261 releases. Almost one out of two releases will contain this song.

I like Hawkwind's music. I just don't like how they keep recycling the same music over and over.

There are certainly myriad compilations/collections and live releases, but they do have many wholly unique studio albums, all the way up to the present.

And most of their compilation albums and many of their live albums are not authorized by the band at all and should be removed from the archives, for example "The Text of Festival" or "Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 01:51
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Has anyone mentioned Rick Wakeman yet?Smile

Yes.

LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 22:31
all the ex wives need supporting 
Big smile
The Ploot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ploot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 22:36
Incontinent? Hahahahaaaa! I believe you mean "inconsistent".
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 23:02
The most incontinent artist is the one who poops the most.LOL
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 10:10
I did three yesterday. Does that count or do I have to do three everyday?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 10:49
Originally posted by The Ploot The Ploot wrote:

Incontinent? Hahahahaaaa! I believe you mean "inconsistent".

no, I definitely meant "incontinent". you should read my initial post; it is all explained there

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 15:43
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

by this question I mean: who is in your opinion the artist who most releases album after album in short intervals that are mostly not necessary at all?

Perhaps prolific may be more appropriate?

Incontinent has other implications.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 16:36
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

by this question I mean: who is in your opinion the artist who most releases album after album in short intervals that are mostly not necessary at all?

Perhaps prolific may be more appropriate?

Incontinent has other implications.

I chose the word on purpose. as I said earlier in this thread: I thought this word best described an artist that can't hold back his musical excretions, like an incontinent person can't hold back his/her body excretions

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 18:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It looks like we have another contender in Phrozenlight. Wow, this guy(?)is heading near Buckethead proliferation.

Yeah I was noticing Phrozenlight's crazy discography just the other day.  What has he got like 30 new albums so far this year?  It's like a magazine subscription or something.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123