Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deep Purple, ELP and Dream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubledimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Purple, ELP and Dream Theater
    Posted: June 21 2019 at 18:34
So, i was searching for ELP bootlegs and found out about this tour, but a quick Google search didn't give me more than some dates but no video or audio. Does anyone know where to watch this show if anywhere? And how was the interaction between the bands?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 00:35
It was in the 90's in America but that's about all I know and I've never been aware of any video being available. I remember Carl Palmer being very dismissive of Dream Theater in an interview after the event. Think it may have been 1997. ELP also played on the same bill as Jethro Tull around the same time. Ian Anderson introduced them as a band 'that still had all their own hair , the b*****ds!' Again no video was shot.
The only ELP concert recording of this time that I am aware of was a gig at the Montreux (Switzerland) Blues and Jazz Festival and this is available on DVD.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 07:25
^ That tour came through San Francisco (Warfield Theater) in the late 90s, only it was just Deep Purple and ELP. I think a friend of mine saw the same two bands together in Dallas at about the same time. According to my friend, Jon Lord put on an amazing solo segment using various keyboards.

Edited by Easy Money - June 25 2019 at 07:29
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 16:16
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ That tour came through San Francisco (Warfield Theater) in the late 90s, only it was just Deep Purple and ELP. I think a friend of mine saw the same two bands together in Dallas at about the same time. According to my friend, Jon Lord put on an amazing solo segment using various keyboards.
I was there. Dream Theater indeed opened, and insisted on playing a couple of extra songs that set the schedule back almost an hour. I was only faintly aware of their music at the time. I wonder if this caused ELP to play a shorter set than normal. Although I enjoyed DT's performance, I would have preferred to see more of ELP and Deep Purple. BART closed before the show ended and three of us had to take a taxi across the bay, which caused me and my then-girlfriend to crash at my buddy's house, and thus also caused me to jam back home to get my materials for my first class that morning. Was DT worth it? Not in my book, but again, they gave a good performance. ELP and DP certainly rocked!
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 16:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It was in the 90's in America but that's about all I know and I've never been aware of any video being available. I remember Carl Palmer being very dismissive of Dream Theater in an interview after the event. Think it may have been 1997. ELP also played on the same bill as Jethro Tull around the same time. Ian Anderson introduced them as a band 'that still had all their own hair , the b*****ds!' Again no video was shot.
The only ELP concert recording of this time that I am aware of was a gig at the Montreux (Switzerland) Blues and Jazz Festival and this is available on DVD.
I saw Ian say that in Concord California. It was the second time in a year I had seen ELP. They were excellent both times.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply