Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are You A Song or Album Person?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are You A Song or Album Person?
    Posted: June 22 2019 at 08:37
When it comes to music, of course... Personally, for me, its easily song. About a year or two after I got into music seriously, the internet came, and albums were almost meaningless. Plus, when someone mentions an album, its not clear what they like about it. Especially when many albums, even good ones, have some bad songs - I rather be accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 09:02
Absolutely album. I don't skip songs I don't really like either. Skipping a song from an album is like looking only at a part of a painting or reading only a part of a book.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 10:39
Depends on the song and the album. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 10:51
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Absolutely album. I don't skip songs I don't really like either. Skipping a song from an album is like looking only at a part of a painting or reading only a part of a book.

Hi,

Same here ... although I prefer to say that I don't listen to songs, any more than I listen to albums!

I listen to MUSIC, and I tend to dislike the definitions that have a tendency to prevent many people from listening to things and learn/find something different, however it may or may not relate to their lives.

All the arts, and specially literature and painting, have the same effect to me as any music ... and my preferred example is that Guernica by Picasso, has the same strength and emotion for me, as The Rite of Spring by Stravinsky ... they both not only give me a huge story, they also give me a very serious picture of the whole time, place, and the person's reaction to things in general.

A song, for me, tends to take away from the album. I know that many of us like Nights in White Satin, but in the end, the other side of the album with the orchestral piece is a much more insightful and meaningful piece of music for me, than the song that made them famous. 

The BEATLES and the ROLLING STONES, in a way, killed the "album" concept, when their singles sold millions, and the albums were not as important, which by the time the BEATLES came to stop, became a chance to show that music should be an all-album thing, which THE BEATLES thought they were adhering to, but gave up on, however, ABBEY ROAD remains one album where it is almost ridiculous to even choose one song as a favorite ... the whole thing resonates way more than that.

But all in all, not as much rock music songs, beat a 5th, or a 3rd, or a 7th ... by comparison, the rock songs and even some albums, do not have the depth of inner experience, as these symphonies do ... and that is my own personal way of judging music. 

One song is not enough for me ... it leaves me unsatisfied.

Edited by moshkito - June 22 2019 at 10:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 15:57
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Depends on the song and the album. 

Same here. Some albums do really belong together in my opinion such as Dark Side Of The Moon. Some others are rather a hodgepodge and I enjoy their best songs in isolation rather than having them carry with them the rest all the time. Also I love "Shuffle Everything", which surely isn't made for the proper album people.

Edited by Lewian - June 22 2019 at 15:58
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 17:00
Album, I guess.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 17:39
Definitely album
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 18:15
Well both, but it depends on what albums and songs we are talking of. Is the song primarily meant to be a single, or does it fill in an important part of a musical whole (e.g. an album), or is it both.

A classic song like "God Only Knows" from Pet Sounds is a good example of the latter.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 19:31
First: an intriguing question!
For me it’s probably songs, but without albums, many of my favorite songs wouldn’t have been released. There are so many great album cuts, b-sides, alternate mixes, etc...
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 21:44
Both. I loved listening to Casey Kasem do the top 40 countdown when I was young, and I'd sit there with a tape recorder trying to catch my favorite songs. I remember trying to catch Don't Cry by Asia. But, there are many songs that are meant to be heard in album format, and chopping them up just kills it. CDs and mp3s killed a lot of great albums that were meant to be heard in a sequence. Take Rush's Exit Stage Left from Broon's Bane through Xanadu. You MUST listen in album format. Listening as several songs just kills it. The A side of Feel the Fire by Barnabas is like that. Rush's Cygnus X1 ... 2112. Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes. PF's Dark Side of the Moon. And, of course, Kajagoogoo.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 05:40

When I have someone over, I ask them to pick songs, because I'm always changing songs, because I want to give the other person the best listening experience I can. Of course, if its just talk, I might put a band, or the most recent songs. After 20 years, I STILL use winamp. I like random, and I try to avoid looking at the screen until a song hits me. I usually listen to an album all the way through if its a first time listen. I used to burn CDs when I had a car that played them, but now I have to settle for FM radio when I drive. At home, I just go with the feeling at that moment, but in the last couple days, I stumbled upon some fine work by George Harrison after "All Things Must Pass", and I tend to listen to something I haven't heard MANY times. Its a feeling I can't describe.

TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 07:30
Once in a while I like songs, mostly from a nostalgic point, especially Classic Rock songs, from Paranoid by Black Sabbath or Easy Livin' by Uriah Heep to The Six Teens by The Sweet or Show Me The Way by Peter Frampton (1974-1978 music, my adoslescence). But I prefer albums, with epics, because I want to be carried away, to experience shifting moods, lush instrumentation, variety ….

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 23 2019 at 07:31
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Definitely album
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 10:12
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

A song, for me, tends to take away from the album. I know that many of us like Nights in White Satin, but in the end, the other side of the album with the orchestral piece is a much more insightful and meaningful piece of music for me, than the song that made them famous....

The BEATLES and the ROLLING STONES, in a way, killed the "album" concept, when their singles sold millions, and the albums were not as important, which by the time the BEATLES came to stop, became a chance to show that music should be an all-album thing, which THE BEATLES thought they were adhering to, but gave up on, however, ABBEY ROAD remains one album where it is almost ridiculous to even choose one song as a favorite ... the whole thing resonates way more than that.

But all in all, not as much rock music songs, beat a 5th, or a 3rd, or a 7th ... by comparison, the rock songs and even some albums, do not have the depth of inner experience, as these symphonies do ... and that is my own personal way of judging music. 

One song is not enough for me ... it leaves me unsatisfied.

Ever go to a concert? Of course you have, you've said so numerous times. Did you love the concerts? Of course you did, you've posted long lists of your favorite concerts.

You went to listen to songs, not albums. Certainly, some bands will play whole albums as part of some anniversary gig, but all in all you're listening to individual songs curated by the bands themselves.

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 23 2019 at 10:14
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 10:13
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Same here. I rarely if ever skip a song(even if I don't like it). More into whole albums than just songs and I would think most prog fans feel the same way although apparently not. I guess the younger fans who are brought up in a different generation with streaming and downloads are not interested in whole albums. That's ok as long as those single songs are 20 minutes long.TongueLOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 23 2019 at 10:13
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 13:58
I'm a little bit of both. Sometimes I want to hear an entire album, start to finish -- especially on "concept" albums that have a continuous, connected flow of ideas. I do sometimes skip songs if they conflict with my mood or the overall ambience established by the rest of the album. For example, I will often skip "Are You Ready Eddy" on ELP's Tarkus because it strikes me as out of place.

Other times I put my MP3 player on full shuffle, so that I get a wild variety of music.  What often amazes me is that I've grown to appreciate many more individual tracks, because when I hear them out of context (not in the normal album play position), they sound totally different and new. I often skip tracks when playing full shuffle because some tracks just conflict with my current mood or mindset.

The analogy that skipping tracks is like looking at part of a painting or reading a part of a book isn't always valid. An album with individual tracks is not a single painting, but a gallery of multiple paintings by the same artist. You can walk thru the gallery, and if you don't like one of his/her works, no harm skipping over it. A clear exception would be for artworks like a triptych in which multiple pieces are intended to be enjoyed as a whole. In that case, it's akin to a concept album, and should be enjoyed in its entirety. And not all books are intended to be read linearly, cover to cover, without skipping. An anthology is a good example.  Others, like novels or murder mysteries, certainly are intended to be read without skipping.

So, it all depends on the composition of the album as to whether skipping is appropriate. If you listen to LPs, skipping is time-consuming and clumsy. It's easier for CDs, and trivial for MP3s.

Oh, and I'm not one of the younger generation who grew up listening to streaming and downloads -- I'm in my seventh decade now (sigh).

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 14:40
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Well both, but it depends on what albums and songs we are talking of. Is the song primarily meant to be a single, or does it fill in an important part of a musical whole (e.g. an album), or is it both.

A classic song like "God Only Knows" from Pet Sounds is a good example of the latter.

It could be a "deep track" or even something unreleased. Demo, different version.

Also, I'm not trying to make a quantitative argument. Of course if I had the decision between one song and one album, I'd choose an album because its longer.

Basically, I like hitting random until I CANT change it, because I'm in the mood for that. OR, when I think "Man, I wanna hear 'Waiting For The Sun'" right this second.. I get that feeling more than "I want to listen to 'Morrison Hotel'"

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 17:41
A bit of both. 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 19:53
Definitely an album person...

... except for when theres a crap song on a great album... or a great song on a crap album.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 01:37
I ruin parties because I find "mixes" abhorrent to musical enjoyment. It's all subjective but listening to music is a full-blown activity for me, not passive time passer while other things are going on. Sure I'll clean to instrumental music, but I put sh*t on to DIGEST AND GET INTO IT DEEP.

Album all the way.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>