Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [41.18%]
10 [58.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mozart or Shakespear
    Posted: June 22 2019 at 11:33
Wolfgang wrote the Magic Flute, Die Zauberflöte, or Shakespears Midsummer Nights Dream, the Tempest. 

Two fellows that were in mystical clubs Rosen kreutz and Freemason. whom were the masters of their crafts, as much legend and myth as persons. Icons with chocolates named after them.

Edited by Icarium - June 22 2019 at 11:41
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 11:40
It is actually "Die Zauberflöte", not "Das".

Of these two definitely Shakespeare. However, had you had paired him against Johann Sebastian Bach, who also was a Freemason, it would have been a much more difficult decision.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 11:40
I am after more discussions than voting but i also want som nerdy comparisons between the two, if only accidental comparable traits.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 14:35
pizza vs. ice cream
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 23:54
Pizza, or not pizza, that is the question.

Definitely Shakespeare, he is so eminently quotable, and I played Hamlet for a production of Haunted House Hamlet.

I liked to relay, in a strictly joking manner, the fanciful story that playing Hamlet was a most embarrassing experience. Because my codpiece was made out of real cod, it fell off during an important part when it expired Blowfish or suckerfish might have been preferable had I been able to water them properly.

As for Mozart, I do love his Requiem in D minor.

Edited by Logan - June 22 2019 at 23:56
Just a fanboy passin' through.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 06:12
Fun Fact- The word Honorificabilitudintatibus, which appears in Love's Labor Lost translates into "the state of being able to achieve honors.  But that's not all.  Honorificabilitudinitatibus can be scrambled into an anagram- hi lude, F. Baconis nati, tuiti orbi, which is Latin for "these plays, F. Bacon's offspring, are preserved for the world".

The moon's an arrant thief , And her pale fire she snatches from the sun. Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - June 23 2019 at 06:45
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 09:21
I really like Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik 2 Romanze - Andante.

This thread is making me want to read some Shakespeare while listening to Mozart. :)
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 10:34
Like Ringo said: "I love Beethoven Mozart, especially his poems."
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 10:36
WS
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 13:53
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Fun Fact- The word Honorificabilitudintatibus, which appears in Love's Labor Lost translates into "the state of being able to achieve honors.  But that's not all.  Honorificabilitudinitatibus can be scrambled into an anagram- hi lude, F. Baconis nati, tuiti orbi, which is Latin for "these plays, F. Bacon's offspring, are preserved for the world".

The moon's an arrant thief , And her pale fire she snatches from the sun. Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

If my Latin doesn't fail me, it would have to be "hic ludi", so this can't be right.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 15:30
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

If my Latin doesn't fail me, it would have to be "hic ludi", so this can't be right.

The Latin masculine pural "hī" would require hī ludi (for these plays -- "lude" or "ludus" being singular)I'm not certain a Latin scholar like Bacon would make such a fundamental mistake. "Hic" would be singular masculine. Even so "hic lude" would mean "this play", not "these plays". In any case, it would render the whole sentence grammatically incorrect -- hard to believe from a Latin grammarian who published his scientific work in Latin.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 15:51
You are right; my memory was faulty about the declension of "hic haec hoc". But right about the declension of "ludus". So this explanation is faulty.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 17:37
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

pizza vs. ice cream

I was thinking apples and oranges but this is more unique. 

Anyway, I'm not very familiar with Shakespear unfortunately so I can't really say which I prefer. This is sort of like comparing monkeys with zebras though. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 23 2019 at 17:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 21:54
I misspelled the anagram. It's ludi not lude.  One lude too many.    A brief word history and anagram explanation in the link below.   

http://wordsmith.org/words/honorificabilitudinity.html

patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 01:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

pizza vs. ice cream

Anyway, I'm not very familiar with Shakespear unfortunately so I can't really say which I prefer. This is sort of like comparing monkeys with zebras though.
Or like monkeys comparing apples with zebras
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 03:50
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

pizza vs. ice cream

Anyway, I'm not very familiar with Shakespear unfortunately so I can't really say which I prefer. This is sort of like comparing monkeys with zebras though. Wink

but i feel their is a slight mysticaø similarities with the Magic Flute abd Midsummer Nights Dream, like it shares a germanic folkloric aura to them and that fantasy theme.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 04:37
Shakespeare, because he didn't exist.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 14:55
Love me some Mozart but voted Will......

btw....anyone here into the whole , 'who was Shakespear  mystery?'
I've read a few books over the years and I find the whole thing very interesting but not convinced he was just a cover name for someone else....but yet ...there are some peculiar things about the whole tale.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 19:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Love me some Mozart but voted Will......

btw....anyone here into the whole , 'who was Shakespear  mystery?'
I've read a few books over the years and I find the whole thing very interesting but not convinced he was just a cover name for someone else....but yet ...there are some peculiar things about the whole tale.

To be or not to be Shakespeare.  Is that an important question? I can't tell what the dickens his name was.   All's well that ends well, after all...  

"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet."

Edited by omphaloskepsis - June 24 2019 at 19:39
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 19:45
As a writer, possibly Shakespear is better but... I'm not a fan of his.

Instead, I love Mozart, expecially his Requiem, so... Mozart.

------------

Does anybody know Giuseppe Verdi's requiem? It's wonderful.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>