Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [41.18%]
10 [58.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 17:18
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

How do you compare a composer to a playwright?

One composes using words, and the other with notes. Both use forms of notation, both use form and structure, both deal with languages of a sort, both are creative and create art intended for audiences.... One can also compare through contrast. There are so many ways you could compare a composer of music to a composer of plays, both in looking for similarities and dissimilarities.   That said, they are different enough that choosing one over the other is not easy for me if comparing the art. Shakespeare has been more important to me I feel, but I love music by Mozart and inspired by Mozart.

Maybe you could compare the films Amadeus and Shakespeare in Love?    Then I would go with Mozart.

Edited by Logan - July 20 2020 at 17:37
Just a fanboy passin' through.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 03:00
Mozart is the Britney Spears of classical music: hopping around frantically. And although Britney has "spear" in her name, it would be William for me.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 03:27
^ Mozart is the among the most prodigius people in music history, not saying Britney is bad either, she have some good songs. But it is totalyinsane to compare the two in terms of music.

The first reason to include Mozart and Shalespeare in a poll, is thay they are the first people i think of in their field of art. they are the posterboys of litterature and music. The aspiring geniouses whom dazzeld the audiences. Also they both produced works of Fantasy fiction in "The Magic Flute" and "Midsummer Nights Dream" and "the Tempest"
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 03:57
"Oops..." Wink

That said, you can compare everything with anything, as long as you find the common denominator. For me it was hopping (and I confess, it's not very serious, although Shakespeare can hop too, especially in his comedies... "...I did it again").

Talking about music, Britney (I wanted to write BS, but that could be misread by some) at some point did mark pop music like Mozart did mark classical music (in a much more important way, definitely).
I agree with you about Mozart (and Shakespeare), but you understood that I am not a fan of Mozart's music...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 14:00
Zappa or Socrates?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 14:46
How about comparing Shakespears Sister with Rock Me Amadeus by Falco. Smile

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:46
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

The first reason to include Mozart and Shalespeare in a poll, is thay they are the first people i think of in their field of art. they are the posterboys of litterature and music. The aspiring geniouses whom dazzeld the audiences. Also they both produced works of Fantasy fiction in "The Magic Flute" and "Midsummer Nights Dream" and "the Tempest"

Hi,

There are times when I "question" the literacy that "became" known as SHAKESPEARE. The reason for saying that, and you can get a good picture of it in the film "SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE" is that if the crowds at the Globe were to be "seen" and "believed", I seriously doubt that many of folks in that audience would give a damn about the poetry unless it had rhymes that were bawdy and funny ... and were delivered as such. 

I think that the "updating" and "cleaning up" of Shakespeare was done to try and remember him as great, however, to someone who was drunk and in the grounds ... I can hear it now ... "rock'n'roll" ... loud and clear, and more than likely someone in the stage would throw something at that person, or go along with that loon. That, simply put, is not the "right" audience for a lot of his plays, although it should work for the comedies ... but I don't see HAMLET do well, unless the lighting was so low and the whole thing was eerie to the point of scaring folks ... just like the MACBETH witches could probably get some folks to pee in their pants!

MOZART ... is pretty much the same thing, and I think a lot of his material has also been cleaned up over the years. But he could not "have fun" with the Court for a long time and the film makes a big deal of something similar and likely to have happened, which would send many a composer to drink and every thing else, and Wolfgang's escape was the bars ... and there, he created a lot of his far out stuff. Funny thing is that few people know much about his compositions, and so many "concerts" or smaller pieces, which I think were his "studies" for use somewhere else.

It's weird that we picture them as GODS ... for me ... when I think the reality of "theater" at that time, was not the sumptuous high class thing that we think it was and must have been ... I really doubt that ... and it would suggest that things were changed and cleaned up.

Not a surprise though ... since we can see film and theater these days and how they "change" both and still make it appealing to any audience!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123