Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ProgDay 25, the 25th edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miciah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProgDay 25, the 25th edition
    Posted: June 23 2019 at 13:35
Three bands for ProgDay 25!

------------

MÖRGLBL

“Often described as Primus meets Steve Vai or The Beatles meet Pantera, Mörglbl’s live performances veer toward the crazy by mixing substantial metal riffs with subtle jazz harmonies, deep pocket grooves, and their trademark goofball humor. “

- Mörglbl’s Bio

Through a series of acclaimed recordings and extensive international touring, the energetic musical whirlwind called MÖRGLBL has become known all over the world for their unique mash-up of metal, fusion, jazz, and a madcap attitude to the remarkable music they make. Consisting of guitar master Christophe Godin, bassist Ivan Rougny and drummer Aurélien Ouzoulias, the band celebrated it’s 20th anniversary in 2018, but shows no sign of letting up. With a 2019 release entitled The Story Of Scott Rötti, MÖRGLBL returns to the ProgDay stage after eight years to perform tracks from the new album, as well as old favorites.

------------

Accordo Dei Contrari

“Their musical stew is an exciting and angular concoction of contrasts, sharp corners, hidden turns, and clever ideas, all woven together somewhere near the intersection of jazz and rock, with a dollop of Italian culture stirring the mix. If you could only buy one recording this year, Violato Intatto might well be the one worth seeking out.“
- Peter Thelen, Exposé

"Five stars; a masterpiece of complex, boundary-pushing progressive rock music--the goal that all progressive rock musicians should strive for. "
- Brufordfreak, Progarchives

Since the band’s 2001 birth in Bologna, Italy, as an ensemble for creating original instrumental music, ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI has developed a reputation for its excellent musicianship, thoughtful compositions, and its particular take on combining musical genres in a purposeful way.  With influences ranging from classic seventies prog and jazz-rock to contemporary jazz, 20th century classical music and the avant-garde, the music is always changing and flowing along new paths.  The result has been a series of critically acclaimed studio albums.

With each release the band continues to redefine its music.  Most recently, with the departure of their bassist, the band reconstituted itself with the addition of saxophone.  This culminated in the most recent release, Violato Intatto, which made many Best-Of-The-Year lists for critics and fans. 

In an exclusive 2019 North American appearance, the re-envisioned quartet brings its acclaimed music to the Storybook stage for the first time since the band's American debut at ProgDay 2012.

------------

IZZ

“Harmony vocals? Yup. Plenty of intricately woven melodies? Check. Music that makes the listener stay through to the end and then hit repeat? Double check. This is one of the most exciting albums I have heard from the States since I first came across Spock's Beard, Glass Hammer, Discipline, Timothy Pure and Iluvatar back in the day. It has that sort of impact, and whatever passage I am listening to, of whatever song, is the best bit.“
- Kev Rowland, Progarchives

Formed in the 1990s and performing at ProgDay for the first time in 2002, IZZ has become one of the pre-eminent symphonic progressive rock bands in the United States.  Playing a mix of classic progressive rock with modern sensibilities, the incorporation of different musical styles combined with the maximum utilization of the band’s four vocalists creates a rich sonic experience that can be emotional and exciting without treading into the darker side of the universe.  Taking influences from pop and progressive rock like ELP, Genesis, Renaissance, Yes and The Beatles, IZZ will be performing songs from the new 2019 release, Don’t Panic, alongside favorites from the past.

------------

Join MÖRGLBL, ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI, and IZZ at ProgDay 25, the twenty-fifth edition of ProgDay.  ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 25 will take place on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, 2019, at Storybook Farm in the countryside of Chapel Hill, North Carolina. 

For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.

To hear music from this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music Page (http://progday.net/ProgDay-Music.html).

Thanks!

Michael

miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miciah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 00:14
Us, Today at ProgDay 25!

“…a wonderful trio from from Cincinnati, Ohio, who play a sort of modern progressive rock with a lot of modern / electronica / hipster touches.  The sound is interesting, fun, rockin' and unique. The only groups I can think of that have some similarities are Algernon and, to a lesser degree, Tortoise, but they mostly sound like Us, Today.  They're also great live... Give a listen! You want this!”
- WAYSIDE MUSIC

“Us, Today have a very organic sound, grounded and almost spartan, defined by subtle innovation rather than flamboyant gimmicks. They choose to focus on precision and they build their hypnotic tracks from the interplay of well-defined, razor-sharp riffs, punctuated by the celestial vibraphone.”
- Mircea Laslo, ARCTIC DRONES MAGAZINE

US, TODAY combines elements of jazz, post-rock and electronic music to explore the less traveled intersections of rock and electric jazz.  With the unusual instrumentation of guitar, keyboards, drums and vibraphone, the trio has developed a signature sound.  Whether the music is tumbling head over heels down a hill or floating in ambient space, the band’s musical adventures focus on subtlety and invention and will take you down a winding road to new places.

Join US, TODAY, ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI, IZZ and MÖRGLBL at ProgDay 25, the twenty-fifth edition of ProgDay.  ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 25 will take place on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, 2019, at Storybook Farm in the countryside of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  

To hear music from this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music Page (http://progday.net/ProgDay-Music.html).

Thanks!

Michael

Edited by miciah - July 12 2019 at 00:15
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miciah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 18:51
FREE ProgDay Film Screening:  Romantic Warriors IV!

As part of ProgDay’s advocacy for progressive music, we have teamed up with Adele Schmidt and José Zegarra Holder of Zeitgeist Media Production to present a FREE screening of the feature film documentary, Romantic Warriors IV – Krautrock (Part 1).  Part 1 covers the music and history of Can, Faust, Harmonia, NEU!, Cluster, Damo Suzuki's Network, and more.

Krautrock is a form of progressive rock that has proven to be one of the most influential to current rock musicians, particularly post-rock artists. This is a chance for those familiar with this great music to learn more about their favorite artists. For those not familiar with the music, this is a wonderful opportunity to learn about the music and the musicians that create it.

When: Saturday, August 31, 9:00pm.
Where: Hotel Comfort Inn University Durham, 3508 Mt. Moriah Rd., Durham, NC 27707

Join US, TODAY, ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI, IZZ and MÖRGLBL at ProgDay 25, the twenty-fifth edition of ProgDay.  ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 25 will take place on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, 2019, at Storybook Farm in the countryside of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  

miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miciah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 12:49
ProgDay 25: Mike Keneally, Andy West, Farmhouse Odyssey and More!

ProgDay 25 is happy to announce main stage performances by MIKE KENEALLY with ANDY WEST, FARMHOUSE ODYSSEY, and a Thursday night preshow by MARBIN.

------------

MIKE KENEALLY with ANDY WEST

"Keneally is the leading progressive rock genius of the post-Zappa era."
- ALL MUSIC GUIDE

Known initially as the “stunt guitarist” for Frank Zappa (following the likes of Adrian Belew and Steve Vai), KENEALLY then blazed a significant place for himself in the world of music with a series of recordings remarkable both in their musical scope and originality.  In addition to Frank Zappa, he has also made a name for himself working with acclaimed artists like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Andy Partridge, Henry Kaiser, Mastodon, Devin Townsend, and others.

For this special performance KENEALLY will be teaming up with ANDY WEST, best known as bassist and co-founder of the renowned fusion band, The Dixie Dregs.  

Mike says, “the identity of the drummer is yet to be revealed.”  Check the ProgDay site later for more information.

------------

FARMHOUSE ODYSSEY

“The lyrics themselves take on a nearly surreal, sometimes almost e.e.cummings-like texture - the phrasings odd and suggesting, rather than spelling out in cold, clinical terms.  All of it backed by formidable, exquisite, musical complexity.  That right there is the spiritual bedrock:  while the voice whispers, cries, intones - the musicians form ever-changing, ever-growing, never-stagnating counterpoints leading to newness.  All of it hypnotic.”

- Stephen Conrad, PROGRESSIVE ROCK FANATICS

Formed in California in 2012, FARMHOUSE ODYSSEY is an ensemble of 5 friends coming together to create music outside of genre definitions, but inspired by progressive rock, jazz, psychedelic, funk and world music.  The result is organic, free-flowing symphonic rock with fusion overtones, and a vibe that evokes west coast psychedelia.  The band will be featuring music from their new release Fertile Ground.

------------

MARBIN Show Thursday Night, August 29th, at Local 506!

“What an amazing band! Everytime I listen to Marbin, I simply wish to see them live in concert in the near future, because it is obvious they provide wonderful shows full of energy, jazz fusion/rock and craziness…”
- Memowakeman, PROGARCHIVES

ProgDay regulars will remember MARBIN taking the stage by storm at ProgDay 2015 and leaving a trail of stunned audience members in their wake. MARBIN is a progressive jazz-rock band based out of Chicago, IL. The band started touring extensively in 2011, bringing their original instrumental music to every part of the United States. Through word of mouth, MARBIN has gained the attention of thousands of devoted fans and has sold tens of thousands of albums. To date MARBIN has released seven albums.

Opening for MARBIN will be singer/songwriter BEN DELAURENTIS.  Based out of Lynchburg, Virginia, DeLaurentis is the founder of rock band Steal The Prize.

If you are arriving for ProgDay 25 on Thursday, you won’t want to miss this show!  Visit the ProgDay Preshow Page (http://www.progday.net/ProgDay-Preshow.html) for details.

------------

Join MIKE KENEALLY with ANDY WEST, FARMHOUSE ODYSSEY, US TODAY, ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI, IZZ and MÖRGLBL at ProgDay 25, the twenty-fifth edition of ProgDay.  ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 25 will take place on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, 2019, at Storybook Farm in the countryside of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  

Two more bands to be announced.

Thanks!

Michael
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 13:00
oh man.. Marbin rules. loved their set a number of years ago

Sorry I can't make it this year Michael. Breaks a long string of attendence. What has it been.. 10 years straight?   A mid life career and job change and can't take the time off of work I normally could for that weekend.. but my better half will be there. Hopefully next year. Keep up the great, and hard work Michael.  I'll miss seeing you and everyone.. really has become almost a 2nd family.

Edited by micky - July 28 2019 at 13:04
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2019 at 09:09
Sorry to heat that, man. We were looking forward to catching up with you and Raff. We'll try to catch Raff in your absence. Good luck with the career/job change!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 16:00
As I was I. Hoping this year wouldn't year wouldn't be the hell on earth, surface of the sun kind of sh*t man, that sort of made being social in the sun rather hard. Last year was really tough to lay out the red carpet for you and your wife as we like to do for first timers.  Then there is the Saturday night dinner experience with our particular group.. very much an experience LOL..  

Do be sure to look up Raff.. and I'm sure I'll be there next year and get to you and your wife and perhaps actually get some time to meet and talk haha. I heard Paul Sears was going to make it this year. First time in a number of years in fact.  I'm not sure if you have him before, he and his band were Maryland based for years, but hang tight to him if you haven't..  .. especially around the pool afterwards.  The man is quite something indeed and one of the most engaging and entertaining people I've ever talked with.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 16:05
I wont be there this year, got a free trip to Vegas with the wife and i couldn't really justify ducking it. Cracking line up too.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 16:16
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I wont be there this year, got a free trip to Vegas with the wife and i couldn't really justify ducking it. Cracking line up too.

Raff had told me you wern't going to make it...  that the wife had won out! LOL Hah.. good man

You are right, I really didn't make much secret about my thoughts about last years lineup, but this year looks awesome. Sorry to not make it but couldn't swing it with starting a new job next week.   Hopefully next year Ian for both of us!

not seeing Paul will suck.. but even more was hearing about HT (speak of the devil Heart) and that his son that absolute whip of a young man will be back again this year.  
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 19:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

starting a new job next week

Not another job where they violates the human rights code and ignore the protection of your privacy, I hope.

Let's roll another fat one.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 21:40
hah!!  Wouldn't that be a sh*tter..  no drug tests for me in the new job.   Got the hell out that job and going into the clean professional world I used to love to mock and ridicule.   That would be a kick in the pants wouldn't it...  going from proudly looking like an extra from the Deliverance movie.  to mr GQ in my nice Italian duds. (cleaned up so well that when I met my boss and best friend at the bar the day of my interview.. they didn't recognize me..  damn.. )

though Raff has the patience of a saint and a God dealing with the bad habits I already have.. if I add another instead of dialing back the old ones.. and start smoking the sh*t again she might just gut me in my sleep. 

Two lessons the Big Mick has learned about women

1) rent or lease. don't never buy a redhead
2) and simply don't f**k with southern Italian women man.. 

perhaps a good thing i am missing Progday this year..  the last time I did that stuff was at Progday about 4 or 5 years ago breaking a 19 years of abstinence.. and haven't since.  But since I have the willpower of a ant...I might have just gone off the rails this year and dancing on a few pool tables and even done a striptease like I did in my real wild days..  
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 23:36
I have no idea if I'll ever make it back to Progday. I know I won't be making it this year though. It's too bad too because it would be nice to make it down there for the 25th. There does seem to be some good bands playing down there so I hope those on here that are going(if there are any)enjoy it.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 30 2019 at 23:36
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 07:46

hah!!  Wouldn't that be a sh*tter..  no drug tests for me in the new job.   Got the hell out that job and going into the clean professional world I used to love to mock and ridicule.   That would be a kick in the pants wouldn't it...  going from proudly looking like an extra from the Deliverance movie.  to mr GQ in my nice Italian duds. (cleaned up so well that when I met my boss and best friend at the bar the day of my interview.. they didn't recognize me..  damn.. )

though Raff has the patience of a saint and a God dealing with the bad habits I already have.. if I add another instead of dialing back the old ones.. and start smoking the sh*t again she might just gut me in my sleep. 

Two lessons the Big Mick has learned about women

1) rent or lease. don't never buy a redhead
2) and simply don't f**k with southern Italian women man.. 

perhaps a good thing i am missing Progday this year..  the last time I did that stuff was at Progday about 4 or 5 years ago breaking a 19 years of abstinence.. and haven't since.  But since I have the willpower of a ant...I might have just gone off the rails this year and dancing on a few pool tables and even done a striptease like I did in my real wild days..  

Another bad habit?! Dancing naked on pool tables?!!? I'm talking about the soft, inofensive stuff, dude (the one you use to chill out on a friday night with a cold beer and a good record)...not the hard demented sh*t.

Edited by Barbu - July 31 2019 at 08:45
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miciah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 21:33
Strange Changes and Valence Play ProgDay 25!

ProgDay 25 is happy to announce main stage performances by STRANGE CHANGES and VALENCE.

------------

STRANGE CHANGES

Strange Changes is an eclectic genre-pushing rock band comprised of musicians from the Boston music scene. Founded in 2008 by frontman Tom Dowd, the band boldly mixes elements of American popular music with classical, jazz, metal, and more, creating music in the tradition of the great American pop composers Frank Zappa and Charles Mingus. Balancing high-level improvisation with tight arrangements and a free-spirited approach to the great tradition of American music, from moment to moment there’s no telling where SC is headed next.

------------

VALENCE

"...a relentlessly intricate and unpredictable—yet remarkably unified and welcoming—bit of wordless storytelling that will captivate fans of progressive rock."
- POP MATTERS

"If you love some of the acrobatic, complex, and heavy material of current acts like Scale the Summit, Between the Buried & Me, and Animals as Leaders, this is a band you need to check out"
- SEA OF TRANQUILITY

Formed in 2010, progressive metal fusion quartet VALENCE fuses metal, jam, classical, and jazz music, while incorporating influences from contemporary instrumental progressive metal, experimental metal and heavy rock. The band will be featuring material from their new 2019 release, Cognitive Dissidents.

------------

Join STRANGE CHANGES, VALENCE, MIKE KENEALLY with ANDY WEST, FARMHOUSE ODYSSEY, US TODAY, ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI, IZZ and MÖRGLBL at ProgDay 25, the twenty-fifth edition of ProgDay.  ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 25 will take place on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, 2019, at Storybook Farm in the countryside of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  

Thanks.

Michael

miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miciah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2019 at 21:35

Sorry I can't make it this year Michael. Breaks a long string of attendence. What has it been.. 10 years straight?   A mid life career and job change and can't take the time off of work I normally could for that weekend.. but my better half will be there. Hopefully next year. Keep up the great, and hard work Michael.  I'll miss seeing you and everyone.. really has become almost a 2nd family.

Hey man!  Really sorry you won't make it this year.  You'll be missed.  I'll get up with Raff over the weekend.  Good luck with the new job!
 Post Reply Post Reply