Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camel - "Rajaz" and "A Nod and a Wink"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel - "Rajaz" and "A Nod and a Wink"
    Posted: June 23 2019 at 14:52
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think these are both incredible albums from the band and certainly the only ones post moonmadness that can stack up with the first 4. Between these two is some of Latimers most emotional and amazing guitar work. First I'll talk about Rajaz.

Its just a beautiful deserty feeling album. Most of the tracks are written to the meter that a Camel walks I believe. It has a killer opener with Three Wishes and Lost and Found following it. The rhythm section is particularly great here. Also we have the beautiful title track "Rajaz" and "Sahara". if you like Camel at all you should check out this album.

However my favorite of the two is A Nod and a Wink. It's dedicated to keyboardist Peter Bardens. I love every track but the Standouts for me are Simple Pleasures, which continues the desert vibe of Rajaz, "A Boys Life" with the signature killer guitar melodies Camel is known for, and the explosive closer of "For Today". "Fox Hill" is also a favorite.

If you haven't heard these two, do yourself a favor and give them a listen, let me know your thoughts if you have heard them. Moonmadness is my favorite, but these are my two and three :)
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 15:22
You are not alone, Doug,  like you I have them on my top list  - superb music with intense emotion and profound beauty - hail Andy !!!

(I always listen to the full album,  it's like a journey which can't be stopped midway)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 15:42
Rajaz is essential Camel. Nod, not so much. IMO, of course.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 16:00
both really good albums.  Perhaps not as exciting as the early classics but very authentic and true to their roots
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 19:15
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

You are not alone, Doug,  like you I have them on my top list  - superb music with intense emotion and profound beauty - hail Andy !!!

(I always listen to the full album,  it's like a journey which can't be stopped midway)

Oh yeah I’m with you with full albums (it’s the only way to listen to prog) those are just the highlights to me ;)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 23:30
Huge amount of love for both in Lazland. Rajaz especially is sublime.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 12:29
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think these are both incredible albums from the band and certainly the only ones post moonmadness that can stack up with the first 4
I'm with you 100%
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 13:05
Both good albums. Andrew Latimer really showed he'd developed into quite the storyteller.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 14:05
Rajaz is my all time favourite Camel album...  Camel is my No1 band of all time from all my Prog collection....Big smile....Cool
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 23:52
Only recently discovered that Ton Scherpenzeel played on Rajaz , presumably just as Kayak were back up and running so it was never going to be a long term arrangement. I have got Rajaz but not really played it that much. Might be getting a spin tonight while I watch England put the USA in their place!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 02:22
The only time I've listened to these two records was several years back when first getting into Camel.

This thread tells me I need to go back and give these a serious re-listen!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 07:25
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

The only time I've listened to these two records was several years back when first getting into Camel.

This thread tells me I need to go back and give these a serious re-listen!

Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 00:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Only recently discovered that Ton Scherpenzeel played on Rajaz , presumably just as Kayak were back up and running so it was never going to be a long term arrangement. I have got Rajaz but not really played it that much. Might be getting a spin tonight while I watch England put the USA in their place!

so neither thing happened (me playing Rajaz and England putting USA in their place) Well at least I can rectify one of those things! 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 05:48
Mmmh. Not a big fan of these. They have their moments (Sahara is probably my favourite track of them both) and they're good to listen to from beginning to end, but for me they lack some adventure. Not that adventure had ever been Camel's hallmark, but still most earlier work holds more surprises and spark for me than these. Looking at their work in later days, I prefer Stationary Traveller and Harbour of Tears.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 11:02
Great albums indeed, with tasteful production, drum and keyboard-sound.

Harbour of Tears and Dust and Dreams are okay, but have a flat (too digital) sound.

Stationairy Traveller and Nude are top-albums though (both conceptual and stellar songs).

I can understand people don't like I Can See Your House from Here and Single Factor because of the pop-songs, but there's plenty of excellent Camel in the periode 1976-1996!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 11:04
Both albums feature Colin Bass in full force.

Expecially Fox Hill is a great almost Canterbury-style songs
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 15:12
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Both albums feature Colin Bass in full force.

Expecially Fox Hill is a great almost Canterbury-style songs

I love Fox Hill, that and A Boys Life are my two favorites off Nod and a Wink but I like the whole album. I agree with you about dust and harbour, both are alright but kinda sound dead. Whereas Rajaz and Nod feel and sound a lot more full of life.
 Post Reply Post Reply