Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lyrical Concepts - Your favourite...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: If you had to critically appraise then which?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [25.00%]
14 [23.33%]
10 [16.67%]
4 [6.67%]
14 [23.33%]
2 [3.33%]
1 [1.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lyrical Concepts - Your favourite...
    Posted: June 24 2019 at 23:47
Big lyrical concepts from the days when people had attention spans... Vote for your favourite or even the one you think is the best. I tried to keep them as close in the same time frame as one another but I considered Roger Waters' (Pink Floyd -Dark Side Of The Moon) would be the inevitable winner.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 00:21
The Wall. That album was massively important to me in my early twenties. Waters was the only musician speaking to me.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 02:01
from this list, Quadrophenia

But if you included TAAB,  it would've gotten the nod easily (APP sucks)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 02:40
TFTO for the music, I really don't care about the lyrics of any of those.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 02:54
of these definitely "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 04:18
Unfortunately it's in Italian, but there's a binch of concept albums by Fabrizio de Andre which would deserve a translation:

Non Al Denaro Non All'Amore Ne' Al Cielo (Not for Money, Not for Love not for Heaven) is based on Edgar Lee Masters "Spoon River". Some songs are pure poetry.

La Buona Novella (The Good Novel) is about the apocriphal gospels: an alternative, medieval, view of the gospels from the announcement to the crucifiction.

The second has been extended and re-released by PFM few years ago, but I still prefer the original version.
I think I'll review those two...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 05:23
The Lamb gets the nod . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 05:27
Roger Waters: (Pink Floyd - The Wall)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 05:49
Just wondering if Anderson, Ian's allegory of eternal death after life will match with Anderson, Jon's circle of life after death.

Blackpool versus Accrington...
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 06:08
Quadrophenia..
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 06:29
Hi,

GENESIS will probably run away with this one, although I prefer PASSION PLAY, with the obvious point that it is really hard to figure out and explain to people what the album is really all about.

My main complaint about the GENESIS effort is one of the last pieces in the album ... it's a cop out, and destroyed the story and the staging for me, by bringing it back to just another pop song for the masses. My guess is that the producers and such wanted something more positive than the whole story, and they were not interested in "The Nekkid Lunch" version of rock music!

BTW, Roger's album should not be listed ... ANGE had the same thing done 20 years before and it was vastly superior ... with the exception that in many places folks hate singers that don't kiss the as* in English. EMILE JACOTEY is a hundred times better than Roger's effort, which is almost a complete rip off, made just for the rock'n'roll masses!

Edited by moshkito - June 25 2019 at 06:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 07:50
The Lamb is genius----but I like the cosmic spaciness of Tales.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 10:47
The Lamb Lies Down On Braodway, check out: The Annotated Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Scott McMahan, very interesting read for more understanding about Peter Gabriel his lyrics.

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 25 2019 at 10:50
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 15:33
I voted for Ian Anderson, though followed very closely by Peter Gabriel and Jon Anderson. Roger Waters is a little behind.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 15:45
APP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 16:42
A Passion Play. The most lyrically complex of the selections offered.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 18:56
The Lamb of course
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 19:17
APP>TFTO>TLLDOB
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 01:34
I'm definitely a Yes maniac, but Gabriel's story on TLLDOB is incredibly novel and almost untouchable in both its beauty and complexity. Tales is fantastic, but it is a little verbose and is essentially a super-stoned expansion of a footnote from a (good) book. Not belittling, but Gabriel's message was a little more in depth for me!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 08:29
The Wall, of these...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>