Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make Your Own Renaissance Album!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make Your Own Renaissance Album!
    Posted: June 25 2019 at 13:31
Yes, It's back, Just when you thought the insanity may have ended it's time again for..." Make your own ------ album",  This time, Renaissance.
 You get to pick 8 Renaissance tracks to go on your own compilation album. The one rule is you can only use one track form each existing album. Pick for any 8 albums you like. Don't worry about song length, just pick 8 songs. 

1. Prologue
2. Ashes are Burning
3. Mother Russia
4. The Vultures Fly High
5. Ocean Gypsy (From Live at Carnegie Hall )
6. Song for All Seasons
7. Jekyll & Hyde
8. Tyrant-Tula ( I know everyone hates this album but this was a cool song with a great bass line) 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 14:19
now you're talking!

1. On the Frontier
2. Mother Russia
3. Trip to the Fair
4. Ashes are Burning (Live at Carnegie Hall)
5. Midas Man
6. Song for all Seasons
7. Kalynda
8. Mystic and the Muse
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 15:58
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

8. Tyrant-Tula ( I know everyone hates this album but this was a cool song with a great bass line) 

The best song on a great album!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 21:07
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

The best song on a great album!

I like that album and the song too
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 04:19
Kings & Queens
Past Orbits of Dust
Mr. Pine  (from the transitional group >> see Belgian TV Pop Shop)
Rajah Khan
Ashes Are Burning
Mother Russia
Trip to the Fair

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 16:11
"Prologue"
"At the Harbour"
"Things I Don't Understand"
"Trip to the Fair"

"Mother Russia" (live)
"Can You Hear Me?"
"A Song for All Seasons"
"The Winter Tree"
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 02:58
Here are my selections, with the YouTube videos to follow later. I'm surprised no one chose "Northern Lights" for their album. Maybe it was just too obvious a choice. Smile

1. Island (Renaissance)
2. Face of Yesterday (Illusion)
3. Kiev (Prologue)
4. At the Harbour (Ashes Are Burning)
5. Mother Russia (Turn of the Cards)
6. Ocean Gypsy (Scheherazade and Other Stories)
7. The Sisters (Novella)
8. Northern Lights (A Song for All Seasons)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 16 2019 at 03:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:27
1. Island

2. Face of Yesterday

3. Kiev

4. At the Harbour

5. Mother Russia

6. Ocean Gypsy

7. The Sisters

8. Northern Lights

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 17 2019 at 08:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:41
Hey Paul, I just saw them with the chamber orchestra last weekend.  They did "Island" with Jim McCarty as guest, with a great orchestral part.

Re "Face of Yesterday", that also appeared on the first ILLUSION album in 1977.  If you didn't know, the original group reformed in the mid 1970s and couldn't call themselves Renaissance so opted for the name ILLUSION.  They release 2 excellent albums, "Out of the Mist" and "Illusion"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Here are my selections, with the YouTube videos to follow later. I'm surprised no one chose "Northern Lights" for their album. Maybe it was just too obvious a choice. Smile

1. Island (Renaissance)
2. Face of Yesterday (Illusion)
3. Kiev (Prologue)
4. At the Harbour (Ashes Are Burning)
5. Mother Russia (Turn of the Cards)
6. Ocean Gypsy (Scheherazade and Other Stories)
7. The Sisters (Novella)
8. Northern Lights (A Song for All Seasons)

Northern Lights is a great song but didn't make a dent in the singles charts in North America.  IT was their only claim to fame in UK.  Funny how that happened.  Unfortunately it didn't give the band any momentum.  It didn't help that Azure D'Or was pretty poor
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:13
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Hey Paul, I just saw them with the chamber orchestra last weekend.  They did "Island" with Jim McCarty as guest, with a great orchestral part.

Re "Face of Yesterday", that also appeared on the first ILLUSION album in 1977.  If you didn't know, the original group reformed in the mid 1970s and couldn't call themselves Renaissance so opted for the name ILLUSION.  They release 2 excellent albums, "Out of the Mist" and "Illusion"

Yes, I used to have both of those superb Illusion albums on vinyl and I now have most of the songs from those two albums on a Jane Relf 2-CD compilation. "Beautiful Country" from the first album is a beautiful song and it's always been one of my favourites.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:17

Northern Lights is a great song but didn't make a dent in the singles charts in North America.  IT was their only claim to fame in UK.  Funny how that happened.  Unfortunately it didn't give the band any momentum.  It didn't help that Azure D'Or was pretty poor
Renaissance also achieved some minor success with "Back Home Once Again" from the same album which was used as the theme tune to The Paper Lads TV series in England.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:21

Yes, I used to have both of those superb Illusion albums on vinyl and I now have most of the songs from those two albums on a Jane Relf 2-CD compilation. "Beautiful Country" from the first album is a beautiful song and it's always been one of my favourites.

Beautiful Country is great.  So are "Isadora", "Madonna Blue" and "The Revolutionary" among others
Is the Jane Relf album worth getting?  Did she have solo albums?  I know nothing about her career apart from Renaissance/Illusion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:37
I can definitely recommend Jane Relf's 2-CD compilation titled "Jane's Renaissance - The Complete Jane Relf Collection 1969-1995". It features all of her best-known songs with Renaissance, Illusion & Stairway. It's a real must-have for any Renaissance fan. My favourite track from the second Illusion album is "Wings Across the Sea"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:45
One from each album except Timeline and Tuscany:

1. Day of the Dreamer
2. Trip to the Fair
3. Things I Don't Understand
4. Bound for Infinity
5. Face of Yesterday
6. Okichi San
7. Island
8. Forever Changing
9. Mystic and the Muse
10. Ashes Are Burning
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:55
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

One from each album except Timeline and Tuscany:

1. Day of the Dreamer
2. Trip to the Fair
3. Things I Don't Understand
4. Bound for Infinity
5. Face of Yesterday
6. Okichi San
7. Island
8. Forever Changing
9. Mystic and the Muse
10. Ashes Are Burning
It was supposed to be an 8-track Renaissance album according to Argo2112, but I guess you could count those two extra tracks as a special edition album with two bonus tracks. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:04

I can definitely recommend Jane Relf's 2-CD compilation titled "Jane's Renaissance - The Complete Jane Relf Collection 1969-1995". It features all of her best-known songs with Renaissance, Illusion & Stairway. It's a real must-have for any Renaissance fan. My favourite track from the second Illusion album is "Wings Across the Sea"

that's a great one too.  Apparently they spent less time on this album yet it sounds more sophisticated than the first one in some ways.  I think it's more even too.  I thought Solo Flight and even Candles are Burning (Ashes anyone?) on the first album were kind of weak
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:10
The only slightly disappointing song for me on either of the two Illusion albums was "Cruising Nowhere". It wasn't a bad song, but it didn't sound much like the Renaissance I'd grown to know and love.
 Post Reply Post Reply