3 [21.43%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [35.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Philosopher Biopic
    Posted: June 28 2019 at 14:49
There has been many biopics but never has one been made about one of our dear philosopher. And all of these are grand characters. i have left of some people and also woman       sorry. Bur whom is most worthy a biopic. a film of their life and history and relevance. Whos life in general do you think would work best as film.

I would suggest Walter Benjamin. hes grand thought of art and aura of art is so rich and well thought of. Hes escape from nazi and presecution of jews and just givving up and commiting suiccide on the border is so graphic and tragic its my pik for a film but whos yours.

Edited by Icarium - June 28 2019 at 14:57
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 15:06
No Wittgenstein?

Voted for Descartes for dying in Sweden because the oven was not warm enough.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 15:46
i thought of Wittgenstein but then i would must add Habermas and Gadamer as well an Adorno, Mill and Kuhn etc

Edited by Icarium - June 28 2019 at 15:47
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 16:19
You'd have to add Heidegger before Gadamer k
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 16:40
How ‘bout Bertrand Russell?
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 04:19
Voted for Kant.  I like the way his mind worked.   I'm also into Aristotle.

I recommend Joseph Heller's novel "Picture This" which riffs on Rembrant Van Rijn's Aristotle contemplating a bust of Homer.  Outstanding Socrates, Plato, Aristotle history synthesized through Heller's satire. 
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 04:55
André Moreau because he has many women...  His life is unreal, we can't even show that on TV... But it would be the best movie ever to create a storm bigger than any Marquis de Sade works.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 07:02
Nietzsche
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 09:46
I believe a film about Sokrates would be cool and insightfull, as he was a noted for being vitty, smart and quick in the mouth. A man that could argue with the best, even oit of trial but hes triel is very well known read of how to argue self worth and your self-walue instead of argua against the claims of what hes trail wss based upon. He was a goy that also was funny

Edited by Icarium - July 01 2019 at 09:59
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 10:29
Nietzsche is by far my favourite philosopher, but, apart from going mad, I'm not sure if his life would make a great movie.

Maybe Zeno surviving a shipwreck and dying when he tripped up.

But probably Socrates from this list, with his trial and taking poisin for corrupting the youth.
Songs cast a light on you
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 11:52
In general, it seems that film around "philosophy" does not come off really well, specially today within a commercial society where film has as much meaning as a lot of what you drive down the toilet. It's too much of it about the idea of "making it" and then making sure you can gain money out of it.

Just recently I saw a French film  (Cezanne et moi), and the whole film is, more or less, a whole dialogue between  Gide and Cezanne, and a lot of it is just talky stuff that very few Americans will ever sit through or care to figure out what it is all about ... and in the end, the story gives it to you with a slap in the face (just a sentence or two at the end of the film), which leaves you hanging ... so he wasn't a jerk ... this is what he saw and decided to do, but the guy had to live with all the criticisms, almost non-stop ... and this is hard for everyone concerned, not to mention the artist, even Picasso was known to close the doors and disappear for a while, as did many other 20th century folks ... but (even here!) we are enamored with the social aspect of the art and its fame, mostly, and the rest ... be damned.

Sometimes there is no philosophy, and it becomes one. Even Picasso said that Cezanne was the father of modern art! (At the time, I'm sure!) ... but to us here, it means nothing. And the same thing for philosophy, and even literature that challenged your philosophy, because you believe in a religion or in a democratic this or that, or something else ... or like here, in a commercially viable bunch of likes and dislikes, because you don't want to not be appreciated by all the other folks here.

I review a lot of film, and some that I like to do the most is always the film about the artist, whoever he/she is, and the worst thing in almost all of the films is the "acceptance" of what is being done, and ... as usual ... not a single attempt to understand anything ... up to one of the saddest of them ... writing a symphony for your wife and she still leaves for a bigger ____ you could say!

Philosophy, would be tough, very tough in a film, but there are probably some films on it and I will see if I can make a list of them ... and the ones I would like to see would be French because they have a lot of respect for the arts and its details, where places like America do not!

One philosophy that stands out, BTW, would be Buddhism, as it features in a lot of film, although in a simplified formula, and there are some examples around, but even then, they are not as good at explaining a heck of a lot instead of making you think that some small this or that, or thought is important ... and you can see that in Hesse's story that has been done into film a couple of times, and it is not boring, but it has to go slow, so you have a chance to think and catch up with it ... but you really think a top ten person that can only discuss hits and their favorites is going to stop to appreciate one of these films ... the mid boggles!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 12:49
A film about Marcus Aurelius and Cicero have been made but mostly made out of their ties to Roman Empire and not their philosophy. But i guess a movie about Hobbes and Descartes coulf work on the basis of them sharing letters and though, both lived interesting and society altering works. Even in their own time. The Leviathan is stil poiganant and direct and the Meditation is stil saught after curruculum.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 12:50
As far as interesting biopics...I'd co with Gurdjieff...and they did make a movie with him at the center some years ago.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 13:32
Immanuel Kant lived a very solitary life and did not travel much, yet we have seen movies about Stephen Hawking though far appartik feald both changed how we viewed ourself and our place in all things. But the person of Kant is very intreguing -weird, an excentric guy that challanged every thought perceving him, challanged Hume and other leading thought.

Also he did the discovery theory of the formation of the nebula and that text is beautifull.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 03:31
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As far as interesting biopics...I'd co with Gurdjieff...and they did make a movie with him at the center some years ago.

Peter Brook's film, is ... fantastic, but I doubt that many folks will enjoy it, and find in it, what the main character did, for example, and be able to make sense of the beginning versus the end .... and essentially, there is no connection, and that is really hard for us to work with and deal with.

The film is, in some ways, a documentary, since so much of it was written and designed with folks that were connected to Gurdjieff himself, and with Peter Brook, which gives it a nice touch. Seeing the ending is nice ... but connecting it to the start of the story/film ... is a problem unless the philosophy makes it clear there is no connection at all ... and that is one side of the "spiritual" thing that we have a hard time dealing with!

Few people you will EVER meet, talk and appreciate Peter Brook, any more than I do.

AND, if you really want to see a "philosophy" at work ... watch the film made of one of his studies and rehearsals ... THE TIGHTROPE ... and in the end, you end up wondering if this is a philosophy, or acting ... and you really don't have an answer, but it sure enhances the quality of acting!

SIDEBAR: There are bits and pieces of this philosophy that appear to have their source/link to performance, and specific to forms of ritual, of which the theater and film finally came alive from. Peter Brook, has been, since his start, an experimental director in both film and specially theater ... and his studies are legendary with the actors he worked with and clearly seen in his films. One of the strongest statements in all this, btw, was how the lack of communication could still create communication. THE MAHABHARATTA featured actors from many countries and they could not even talk with each other very well, and yet, when you see the performances on film ... you ... huhhhhh ... you ... yeah ... have no words for it whatsoever.

SIDEBAR2: I have always written and wished that musicians could put their craft and ego aside to try some of these things ... creativity would jump and break all the meters available ... but most of them, do not have a concept or idea beyond the notes and the sound ... there is much more ... a lot more!

Edited by moshkito - July 02 2019 at 03:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 18:46
Albert Camus is my pick
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 20:18
Where is Bertrand Russell or Soren Kierkegaard? There's also a few writers who were sometimes considered philosophers too like Fyodor Doestoevski and Albert Camus. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 20:20

Gurdjieff actually influenced Robert Fripp. During those few years after he initially disbanded KC he studied Gurdjieff among other things(mostly of a spiritual nature apparently).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 02 2019 at 20:21
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 11:59
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Gurdjieff actually influenced Robert Fripp. During those few years after he initially disbanded KC he studied Gurdjieff among other things(mostly of a spiritual nature apparently).

Actually there is a lot more about this, that is not discussed directly, but is a part of their rehearsing and then playing together. The rehearsal "structure" is designed to find the moments that can change things and incur a new moment, which is one of the valuable parts of meditation and the studies in "improvisation" in theater and film, which musicians think is not applicable for the most part ... and yet, folks like RF use it every day and few folks get it, or understand it. 

On another thread on PA I discussed this in much more detail, and I think it was about RF and KC, if I remember correctly, but in many ways, the whole crux of the matter was about a rehearsal technique based on a time limit, that helps break down and dispose of the habits that you have of being dependent on a scale, and not listening/seeing what is happening around you. The point of the meditation/exercise, just like the clarity in the end of the film, is the end result ... the folks involved, have a stronger sense of working together than just notes or melodies ... it goes into an internal are of yourself that many of us do not have words for it ... besides, why ruin it with a word ... just love and enjoy the result!

And, unfortunately, this is the part of it all that is difficult to ascertain and explain. Even folks like Aleister Crowley was experimenting with meditation and music and dancing, and sex, to see how far these things could go and how close, they were to a lot of the magick world that he was familiar with ... his Autobiography details some of it, but sadly a lot of it is kinda left behind, and I think it is because people will misunderstand the sex connection, as just an orgy of satisfaction, not something else. You just about could go back to the Marquis de Sade to find similar thoughts and ideas.
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 16:24
George Spencer-Brown (his status as philosopher is debatable though).
Wittgenstein over all those listed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>