Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bucket List Bands You Traveled Aboard To See

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bucket List Bands You Traveled Aboard To See
    Posted: June 29 2019 at 15:15
So I've had to get on a plane a few times to see bands that otherwise would never make it to the USA here's the ones I consider genuine Bucket List bands I had to travel abroad to see:-

Once Upon A Time In Belgium (Univers Zero / Present / Aranis as a 17 piece) - RIO Festival
Knifeworld - London
Magma - RIO Festival
North Sea Radio Orchestra - London
Present - RIO Festival
Koenjihyakkei - RIO Festival
Art Zoyd  - RIO Festival
Uz Jsme Doma - RIO Festival
Free Salamander Exhibit - RIO Festival
PoiL - RIO Festival
Yugen - RIO Festival
Guapo - RIO Festival & London
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 16:04
^I admire your spirit, mate! 

Having lived in Chicago most of my life, I've had the good fortune to see many of my favorite bands, either in huge concert venues or in more personal pub-like settings.  Some of my favorite shows were the latter kind....Wishbone Ash, Brand X (several times), Bruford, even King Crimson!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 22:24
At 17, a group of us drove from Detroit to Cleveland to see Pink Floyd's In the Flesh Tour. I'm still not quite sure how we made it home.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 01:20
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

At 17, a group of us drove from Detroit to Cleveland to see Pink Floyd's In the Flesh Tour. I'm still not quite sure how we made it home.

The In the Flesh tour at 17? Seems like an anachronism to me. I think it should have been Animals (which I attended in Rotterdam, NL, also at 17 - my first gig).

I am not a regular gig frequenter, but I have seen Marillion in Scotland. It was in 1991, the Holidays in Eden tour. I did not go abroad to see them, but they played in a rather small venue, some 3xx m from the place where I was staying. The short-lived band The Violet Hour was their support act.

Edited by someone_else - June 30 2019 at 01:22
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 02:09
Must admit that I've never travelled abroad to see a band. Most bands usually come to the UK eventually. The one band that doesn't that I love is Eloy but I'm not sure they are even active anymore.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 05:52
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The In the Flesh tour at 17? Seems like an anachronism to me. I think it should have been Animals (which I attended in Rotterdam, NL, also at 17 - my first gig).

I am not a regular gig frequenter, but I have seen Marillion in Scotland. It was in 1991, the Holidays in Eden tour. I did not go abroad to see them, but they played in a rather small venue, some 3xx m from the place where I was staying. The short-lived band The Violet Hour was their support act.

Ummmm....the In the Flesh Tour was in 1977. That was the tour name for the release of the "Animals" album.

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 30 2019 at 06:04
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 06:28
In 1980 we Dutch Floyd freaks went by boat and train to London to witness The Wall from Pink Floyd in Earls Court, we were lucky to buy tickets on the black market, what a mindblowing experience, musically and visually!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 06:33
ahhh  Floyd...  reminds me of the difference a couple of years can make.

oh ones youth... idealism and hormones.  And the conflict between them.

My views on AMLOR are well known.. I f**king HATED that album.  So what does one do when that bombshell blond in your English lit class that had been making eyes at you for months and for sure you had your eyes on approaches you and your best friend after class one day and says..   Hey Michael.. I have an extra ticket for the Floyd concert at RFK next week.. wanna go...

what does one do..  easy..  I tell her.. nah... Floyd without Roger is NOT Floyd but a MTV driven nostagia act and the album SUCKS.  So she turns to my friend and says.. what about you?  He says hell yeah.

needless to say..   he had a great time.. and got his world absoulately ROCKED by her after the show.  Bah...

so fast forward a couple of years I was seeing this broad..  still in the infancy stages of our relationship and she asks me to go with her and her younger sister to be a semi chaperone to go see..  yep.. the f**king New Kids on the Block.  I laugh and say.. you are out of your f**king mind Corinne..  no way.. so she leaned over and whispered in my ear..   oh Michael..  I'll make it worth your time. Trust me...

needless to say I about broke my zipper.. and changed my mind on the spot.. and was well rewarded afterward.. and the sh*tter of it was.. it was actually a pretty good show.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 15:26

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Ummmm....the In the Flesh Tour was in 1977. That was the tour name for the release of the "Animals" album.

Quite surprising, but this is an 18CD-release, bootleg or not, that probably dates from after the release of The Wall. Anyway, I cannot remember that the name of the tour was In the Flesh (a title that was used long afterwards by Roger Waters). But at least it clarifies something Smile.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 16:00

I could supply several more In The Flesh concert posters from Floyd's tour in 1977, if you wish. Or you could simply Google "In the Flesh 1977", or, here....wikipedia:

Jesus.

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 30 2019 at 16:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 01:43
I should have been a bit more inquisitive instead of prolonging my fixations …
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 02:51
So far, Rush was the only group that made me get out of my comfort seat and travel to foreign place to see them.
Bigger on the inside.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 13:59
Judging by how few international bands are touring the US these days (can you blame them?) it looks as though I may have to get on a plane to see Wobbler, BMS, The Flower Kings or anyone else not named Steven Wilson or Neal Morse...

Living in the USA is not nearly as cool as when Steve Miller first sang that...  
 Post Reply Post Reply