Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Progressive Wish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Progressive Wish
    Posted: July 03 2019 at 11:43
Hi,

I will not criticize many of the shows out there using the word "prog" and "progressive" for the material they are playing ... other than the choices, are not anything having something to do with "progressive" and "prog" when it came out and started being known. Many of the shows will play one or two things that are interesting, and almost all of them, have to come back to a point where what they play is recognizable, for fear that their audience will go away.

I did a show almost 20 years ago, for 3 years, and of the 300 hours or so, only 2 shows had multiple artists, and most of them were a showcase for a band or an artist, and in the end, I got a lot of very favorable comments from various band members that appreciated the fact that not only were they being heard, they were appreciated in a way ... that most could not even consider.

Today, I miss those recordings, somehow they got lost in the translation, and the lack of backups for them ... because a 2 hour show each on Caravan, Man, Hawkwind, Djam Karet, Le Orme, Banco and so many others was so satisfying, and you could really sink your teeth into a band.

I was lucky ... I got to listen to one of the best and most progressive of all radio shows ... SPACE PIRATE RADIO still is the one that will never be touched, and that anyone will be capable of attempting ... and Guy would play so many bands from so many planets and such, that you could not even begin to wonder what it was all about ... it wasn't just "progressive" ... it was a sort of Orson Welles telling radio that they were wasting their talent on commercials and crap music ... when you could do a radio piece that scared the shipp out of so many folks (just like the gun firing at the camera did years before!!) ... that the ability and appreciation for the different stuff is lost.

Look at how different so many of the early albums were ... and how important and valuable they are today ... then let's see what you got left ... but the same thing for an hour or worse ... ten songs? Where's the music? 

Edited by moshkito - July 03 2019 at 11:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply