Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stores to browse & buy prog vinyl in/near DC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stores to browse & buy prog vinyl in/near DC?
    Posted: July 03 2019 at 13:42
In DC would be ideal, but outside is fine if reachable by public transit.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 14:07
Plenty here in Seattle......no clue about Washington, DC
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 12:25
Thanks, but that's a little far... LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 13:22
Chicago has Reckless Records, Dusty Groove, and Beverly Records as well as several others....
Indianapolis has Luna and Indy cd and Vinyl.....sadly nothing close to me, both are well over an hour's drive.
It's getting hard to browse vinyl anywhere these days.

Google says there are at least 7-10 vinyl shops in the DC area...look them up..give them a call.

Edited by dr wu23 - July 05 2019 at 13:28
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 16:38
Originally posted by AKDiamond AKDiamond wrote:

In DC would be ideal, but outside is fine if reachable by public transit.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I remember there were several right around Dupont Circle.. right off the red line. Just be careful there after dark hahah.. pretty rough area after dark.  I also remember a killer place in Adams Morgan just down the street from this kick ass French Cajun Restaurant which has bread to die for and an awesome beer selection.  Don't remember the names of the places but if you get some good Google  hits close to them.. those are likely the ones I'm talking about. 

My favorite is in Falls Church and easy enough to get to via the Orange Line. Right in the heart of the historic part of town. Called the CD cellar but since this area has a high percentage of hipsters they have much more than just CD's.  Really killer selection of vinyl.. I'm not a hipster so can only speak to the selections they have for CD's and you can find a lot of killer prog there from off the beaten track.  Suppose most of the vinyl they have is 2nd hand, it is one of those kinds of stores so suspect their vinyl prog selection is as kicking as their CD selection is.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 09:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I remember there were several right around Dupont Circle.. right off the red line. Just be careful there after dark hahah.. pretty rough area after dark.  I also remember a killer place in Adams Morgan just down the street from this kick ass French Cajun Restaurant which has bread to die for and an awesome beer selection.  Don't remember the names of the places but if you get some good Google  hits close to them.. those are likely the ones I'm talking about. 

My favorite is in Falls Church and easy enough to get to via the Orange Line. Right in the heart of the historic part of town. Called the CD cellar but since this area has a high percentage of hipsters they have much more than just CD's.  Really killer selection of vinyl.. I'm not a hipster so can only speak to the selections they have for CD's and you can find a lot of killer prog there from off the beaten track.  Suppose most of the vinyl they have is 2nd hand, it is one of those kinds of stores so suspect their vinyl prog selection is as kicking as their CD selection is.  
I'm guessing you mean Smash Records in Adams Morgan. That and the Falls Church place look great!

Much appreciated, thanks!

Also, I can't cut it as a hipster myself, but I guess I do at least check the "likes vinyl" box. LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 12:48
awesome and yeah that sounds like the place. I found a bunch of Holger Czukay solo albums there. Was a real pleasant surprise and wasnt expecting to when I walked in and this chick with more tats than a Oklahoma inmate and with a clothespin in her f**kking nose greeted me hahah. Love hole the wall album stores..  almost as much as dive bars.  

If you go there don't miss out on that restaurant..  man alive my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply