Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kayo Dot-Blasphemy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayo Dot-Blasphemy
    Posted: July 04 2019 at 06:49
https://kayodot.bandcamp.com/album/blasphemy

Kayo Dot, the endlessly eclectic project of composer and producer Toby Driver, was formed in 2003 by the members of the legendary aethereal metal band Maudlin Of The Well. Since then, the group's muse has shown its face through slow and massive cascades of guitars and violins, and soundscapes spanning from tripped-out goth fusion, informed by Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew," to hyper-fast, angular and atonal suicidal black metal.

Kayo Dot’s members come from very different backgrounds, ranging from DIY punk kids to the most erudite conservatory-educated New York performing musicians. Driver's list of collaborators includes names like Randall Dunn (WITTR, Myrkur, Sunn O))), Secret Chiefs 3 (Trey Spruance of Mr. Bungle), John Zorn, and G. Stuart Dahlquist (Burning Witch, Asva), among many others. The diversity of the musicians involved feeds Kayo Dot's ability to wind, twist, and leave you wanting with no clue on how it will evolve, while creating sounds that are both timeless and contemporary.

Now fifteen years on, Kayo Dot's new album, "Blasphemy," is once again based on an allegorical story by Jason Byron. It explores greed, especially politically, and surrounds three characters on their search for treasures; only to be destroyed by the very treasure they sought – a sleeping girl with terrible power named Blasphemy. Produced by Randall Dunn (who helmed Kayo Dot's "Hubardo," "Coyote," and "Blue Lambency Downward"), "Blasphemy" is Kayo Dot’s most forthright statement ever - directly confronting the world at-hand, foregoing the encouraged escapism found ubiquitously throughout the rest of their catalogue, and embracing the perspective a band in such a rare position as this can bring - much more energetic than the ebb and flow of 2003's "Choirs Of The Eyes", a more straight-ahead rock album than "Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue" (2006) that channels the playfulness of 2010's "Coyote." Pulling from elements of black metal, jazz, pop and Driver's own wild sonic concoctions, Kayo Dot is constantly evolving.

"Blasphemy" will be released on September 6th, 2019 via Prophecy Productions, and will be available on LP, CD Digipak, 2xCD book edition (hardcover, 18x18cm, 48 pages with enhanced artwork, a full chapter of the novel that serves as the album’s thematic basis, and feat. the 6-track bonus CD “Purity” with renditions of “Blasphemy” tracks by Wet Math) and ltd. boxset (LP on exclusive clear vinyl, 2xCD artbook, three art prints, and a full map of the novel’s universe).

Click here for more info and purchase: www.instagram.com/kayodotofficial/

releases September 6, 2019

Ocean Cumulonimbus

The Something Opal

Lost Souls on Lonesome's Way

Vanishing Act in Blinding Gray

Turbine, Hook, and Haul

Midnight Mystic Rise and Fall

An Eye for a Lie

Blasphemy: A Prophecy

LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 06:55
Always hyped for a new KD release, as they have played a huge role in expanding my musical horizons. They have not released a bad album that had black metal elements in it yet, so my expectations are high! Not going to listen to any of the songs before the album arrives, I want to hear it all fresh in a single listen. Going for the 2xCD version, as that is probably as far as my bank balence will be able to handle.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 17:53
Very nice! Looking forward to this release! Smile
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 22:55
Hope its a step up from their previous couple...but reading the write up, I'm not optimistic. Will listen though. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 06:27
Super excited for this. Choirs of the Eye and Coyote are two of my favorite prog albums of all time.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 08:35
Sometimes it can take a few listens, but I usually end up holding most Kayo Dot albums as some of my favorites.  I love the fact that they are always experimenting with sounds and styles and how they seem to set the standard for much of the most daring music that is being made today.

Post Reply Post Reply