Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish or Hogarth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which singer do you like best with Marillion?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [53.13%]
12 [18.75%]
12 [18.75%]
6 [9.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish or Hogarth
    Posted: July 07 2019 at 11:51
Not asking whether you like Marillion better with Fish or Hogarth, just who you like better as a singer.
PROGMATIC
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 12:49
glub glub 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 13:41
Goin' with Fiah, but I like both.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 13:44
Voted Fish. At his peak, I prefer his voice. However, if the vote was for current days only, I would have voted Hogarth all the way, Fish sounding pretty much terrible today. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 15:02
FISH
I   S
S   I
HSIF
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 20:14
I was going without thinking with Fish (because I like the music the band did with him better), but actually I find him a rather annoying singer (just like Peter Gabriel). But Hogarth perhaps isn't all that much better... he might be a bit less annoying, but then he lacks the spark Fish gives on his delivery. So I guess it's sort of a tie.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 20:29
I liked one description that compared the two a while back "They are completely different. Hogarth has great hair, is quite short, good looking, sings well, boring lyrics.

Fish Marillion for me. Easily.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 23:45
I voted for Marillion with fish though I sure like Hogarth as a singer ... I was really sad when fish left Marillion it changed them into something new but it was still good , I see Marillion as two different bands and enjoy them both on that level.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 00:52
Hogarth!
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 01:49
Got to be Fish. That strong Scottish voice created a unique vocal sound for the band. I loved it and I stopped listening when Fish quit Marillion.
Songs cast a light on you
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 05:07
Fish +1
Welcome to the middle of the film.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 06:03
Utterly pointless argument, given that there is more chance of HM The Queen converting to Islam as there is of Fish ever making it back into Marillion.

I still get a distinct buzz out of revisiting my younger days when Fish led Marillion were the pioneers and leaders of the second wave of prog, but to these ears, the majesty, beauty, emotion, and sheer progressiveness of the music created by the band in the Hogarth era is unsurpassed. Sheer genius, which I, for one, find astounding that music lovers on this site dismiss so easily.

Oh well......
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 06:32
Both have their merits, but I give the edge to Ghoti.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 06:38
Voted for Hogarth
In recent years , i listened to the Hogarth albums more. 
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 06:45
voted for Fish. Not because he's the better singer (he isn't) or write the better lyrics (what he does) but i compare both by their on-stage presence. And as i have seen each of the two more then ten times live, Fish is soo much better when it comes to take the audience captive with his aura and stories and intimacy he is able to create on the stage.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 07:25
I never was a big Marillion fan; the only album I like of them is "Fugazi". Fish, while definitely not being a perfect singer, has at least a lot of character in his voice. Hogarth is just a crooner; his voice lacks personality.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 08:32
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I never was a big Marillion fan; the only album I like of them is "Fugazi". Fish, while definitely not being a perfect singer, has at least a lot of character in his voice. Hogarth is just a crooner; his voice lacks personality.

Friede, as you know, I respect you a great deal, but I am sorry to say that this is one of the most unfair criticisms I have ever seen on the site. Hogarth is many things, but a crooner? Really?

On a Friday night, I go to town to drink and talk politics and sport with my two best friends, who are quite older than me. Their music is based in the 50's and 60's, and unashamedly populist, including amongst its number a considerable amount of crooners from that period on the jukebox of the club where we drink. Comparing Hogarth to the likes of later period Presley, and the like, to the composer of emotional epics such as This Strange Engine, Neverland, Invisible Man, et al, does you no credit whatsoever. By all means dislike the music, because it is nowhere near your area of musical enjoyment, but really......

Edited by lazland - July 08 2019 at 08:33
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 09:09
Gotta go Fish. It probably has as much to do with the music from that era for me.I haven't really gotten in to the Hogarth stuff. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 09:32
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Friede, as you know, I respect you a great deal, but I am sorry to say that this is one of the most unfair criticisms I have ever seen on the site. Hogarth is many things, but a crooner? Really?

Ok, "crooner" is the wrong word. But I just never feel emotionally touched when I hear Hogarth sing. He leaves me cold.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 09:43
never been a Marillion fan though songs here and there appeal to me.  I saw them for the only time when they were at Cropredy of all places a couple of years ago.  Hogart looked like he had one too many (though I wondered if he was cultivating that look) but I thought his voice was good and he was very funny too.  Rothery on the other hand looked like a music professor, quite a curious contrast!

On this, I can't vote.  I neither like nor dislike either of them, equally

Edited by kenethlevine - July 08 2019 at 09:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>