Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES Tales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YES Tales
    Posted: July 09 2019 at 15:43
You recognize the album's  cover alright, but do you know the story behind its recording ? Read it HERE

Edited by Quinino - July 09 2019 at 15:45
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 19:00
Nothing really new, but the story never gets old. Fun read. Thanks for sharing!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 20:31
3rd best after CTTE and relayer ;)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 20:39
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I would have to put Fragile and the Yes album in there too but Tales would be right after those for me which I guess makes it number five for me. GFTO would be right behind it.
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 20:55
Great story and great site! (I came upon it only very recently; unbelievable quality and depth of articles) Half way through the story and enjoying it, thanks!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 21:01
I know the story of how it happened. Tales has a special place in my heart. Anderson Howe were an amazing team --too bad they hate each other now.Cry
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 21:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I would have to put Fragile and the Yes album in there too but Tales would be right after those for me which I guess makes it number five for me. GFTO would be right behind it.

Ask me a month ago and I would have agreed, tales really kinda clicked for me the last couple times I listened. They're all essentials though
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 21:57
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Nothing really new, but the story never gets old. Fun read. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, thank you for posting this. It´s really a fun read. 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 14:52
My favorite album ever and that's why the Howe/Anderson rift hurts me so much.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 15:00
I can't read this properly... wtf?!

Edited by Cristi - July 10 2019 at 15:02
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 15:28
^ Having a rough day, right ?
Hope you feeling better by morning Thumbs Up
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 15:35
I know a guy who liked the album so much he went out and bought the book that inspired it(autobiography of a Yogi)and read it but hated it(too woo woo for him I guess). I suppose he will always still like the music though. Lol.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 10 2019 at 15:35
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 16:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

ditch sobriety..don't say no.. just say yes...

trust me.. it helps...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 16:54
saw this and was a good read...

and major truth right at the end. 

but I think, given time, it reveals itself as perhaps their greatest musical statement of all. It’s pure hardcore Yes!”
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 20:16
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

My favorite album ever and that's why the Howe/Anderson rift hurts me so much.

So true---also my personal fav album cover.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 20:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

saw this and was a good read...

and major truth right at the end. 

but I think, given time, it reveals itself as perhaps their greatest musical statement of all. It’s pure hardcore Yes!”

Couldn't agree more. My favorite followed by Relayer, then Close To The Edge.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 21:15
word! I do call it the epitome of prog.. the peak of prog.. the peak of everything that prog set out to do to rock music and it wasn't because I was smoking dope (not till retirement man) or banging down the Jamo (woo hooo!).  it only takes half of an objective mind to see it.  it is.. and without any serious non fanboy debate in my mind... the highest musical and artistic expression not just of the group... but of the whole damn genre.  No one has even really attempted to do what they did on this album.. much less equal it ... to say nothing of topping it. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 23:55
Well trying to read that was almost as much 'fun' as listening to the album. Never been a great fan of double albums , the only one I really like is Aphrodite's Child -666 and most of Lamb is great apart from the usual annoying 15 minutes that is not so good that seems to litter most doubles . Perhaps Tales could have been called Jumping The Shark instead? Bah Humbug.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 00:44
I still find it amazing that TfTO, which I’ve never understood or appreciated, was produced between Close to the Edge and Relayer, probably my two favorite prog albums ever.
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Well trying to read that was almost as much 'fun' as listening to the album. Never been a great fan of double albums , the only one I really like is Aphrodite's Child -666 and most of Lamb is great apart from the usual annoying 15 minutes that is not so good that seems to litter most doubles . Perhaps Tales could have been called Jumping The Shark instead? Bah Humbug.

Edited by patrickq - July 11 2019 at 00:45
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 01:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

ditch sobriety..don't say no.. just say yes...

trust me.. it helps...

not what I meant...
I got a pop-up and the page froze...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>