Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Albums With Bad Album Covers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 09:59
They really dropped the ball when it came to the US release (Europe got a different cover). A fine album, too.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 10:07
for some reason I always think the guy on the Hawklords cover is supposed to be a swashbuckler. why he is holding a glowing neon tube is beyond me though. maybe he is the space age equivalent of a swashbuckler, an intergalactic pirate, and that neon tube is a kind of laser sword. I don't know, but he is a swashbuckler for sure

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 12:45
Steve Howe Trio - The Haunted Melody
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 12:46
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm going slightly non-prog to nominate the debut Montrose album, although at least there are no butts involved.

That cover's fine. One can do much, much worse when it comes to "shirtless band pix." Like that Orleans album (not gonna post it!).

RIP Ronnie Montrose. That first record is outstanding, and Paper Money is a worthy follow-up. No sophomore jinx with those guys.
I expect there are worse but it wasn't that fine when I had to carry that record into school back in the day.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 13:01
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Guru Guru - Hinten. A naked hairy man's butt is just not a great sight. Yes, it is meant humorously, but still - no thanks.
I'm with you on this one. Not a fun cover to look at.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 13:38
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Steve Howe Trio - The Haunted Melody
oh I forgot about this one. It’s bad bad.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 13:51
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Godbluff, looks like a live album

Close to the edge, mmmm hot take, the new Steven Wilson remaster cover is a huge improvement

Hamburger Concerto, same deal as godbluff

Two of my favorite albums, and I don’t think I can disagree with you.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 15:06
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Godbluff, looks like a live album

Close to the edge, mmmm hot take, the new Steven Wilson remaster cover is a huge improvement

Hamburger Concerto, same deal as godbluff

Two of my favorite albums, and I don’t think I can disagree with you.

Oh yeah, the above 3 are all incredible albums
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 15:36
/\
funny, I wonder if I think the cover of Close to the Edge is great just because the contents are.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 00:13
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Surprised no one said Tarkus, although that's one that might be so bad , it's good. LOL

Someone did

To me this is a great cover in terms of design and is Pictures At An Exhibition

The worst ELP cover has to be Welcome Back My Friends . Totally says 'couldn't be bothered'.
Tormato must also a slam dunk in any ones book.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 01:06
/\
I’ve always loved the Tormato color scheme.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 02:05
Big Generator. (That hideous yellow...)

Love Beach.   (And there are worse outtakes as well. And it's not a well taken photo...)

Hemispheres. (I suppose it's in the title...)

Going For The One. (I know these two have been mentioned but ... butt...)

Talk. (Even if this was marketed well which it wasn't that would mean even more people would be annoyed at another Roger Dean -less cover. Pop group - quite good - with access to the single best artist for album covers (alone), decide against that and do this one...)

Abacab. (And there are 4 versions. C'mon guys it's not exactly the In Through The Out Door art...)

Black Sabbath. (Never Say Die just like And Then There Was Three is just a complex idea that failed as the art tried to link to the lyrical content. But Bill Ward in his wife's tights might just beat 'em all).

Edited by uduwudu - July 12 2019 at 02:07
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 06:35
Acquiring the taste by Gentle Giant.

It...just makes me uncomfortable..
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 07:15
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Progheads really need to get over their fears of becoming gay because they'd like album covers featuring male buttocks Ermm...Nuke
Grow up for Censored prog's sake. Stern Smile

Would you think these album artworks as good if it was females' buttocks on the covers?? Pig
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 07:26
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Progheads really need to get over their fears of becoming gay because they'd like album covers featuring male buttocks Ermm...Nuke
Grow up for Censored prog's sake. Stern Smile

Would you think these album artworks as good if it was females' buttocks on the covers?? Pig

No, better:

I prefer this one, and also Zep's Houses of the Holy, over the ones aforementioned.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 08:23
Soft Machine's. Truly uninspired. By the way, I like that one by Spring which shows either a dead or sleeping bobby wrapped in what appears to be the Union Jack.

Edited by Rednight - July 12 2019 at 08:24
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 09:38
I do like the Spring album cover. It's nice and creepy.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 12:08

What makes this a bad album cover to me is his petulant stance.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 12:47
Good record...bad cover.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 12:57
Lazier than usual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>