Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LAMB ... Making of

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 13:22
Different, yes, but music embraced later is no less appreciated or less welcome to me. I have never stopped checking out new music and I love much of what I hear. I don't only appreciate what I loved at 15 or 20.

These days, I'm into a strange combination of mid-century jazz/swing and current indie rock, many of the latter the work of 20-year-old female rockers. There is still plenty of great stuff I haven't heard, and I embrace it.

That said, I will always return to Bon Scott and the first Rush album with zero guilt and without looking down my nose at it. I feel bad for people who can't enjoy music that isn't "progressive" or cerebral. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 23:42
I just find I have a boredom threshold. ACDC never did it for me even when I was 15. I don't mind a bit of trashy dance music though!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Unlike Yes/Tales, which I fell in love with immediately, I really didn't dig Genesis back in my teen years. I can't ever remember relating much to the Lamb at that point. It was until much more recently that I truly began to enjoy Genesis beyond the cursory spins, in the same way I would a Yes album. Now, when I play the Lamb, it is a unique experience because I do not have it assimilated in the way I do other albums of the era because I rarely played it as a youth.

I already had all of YES albums when I got into GENESIS. I already had 3, or was it 4 -- can't remember, JETHRO TULL albums, when I first heard GENESIS in 1973 I think it was ... SEBTP ... and while I liked that album, that same night I went back to my headphones and played SPACE RITUAL from HAWKWIND, which ought to tell you how it hit me ... it was interesting, but not overwhelming. 

Almost a year later, I was working at the restaurant (10-6 graveyard) and my roomie was on the air ... and what did he play? Right at midnight ... THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY ... and he PLAYED BOTH ALBUMS IN THEIR ENTIRETY ... and when done, he said that he got so many calls and appreciation for doing that ... he played the whole thing again!

THAT, became, my most memorable and enjoyable day with GENESIS, and I enjoyed that album and its story and emotion ... it wasn't exactly just a bunch of wannabe rock songs for radio ... it had meaning and it was strong and deep! Sadly, it was OVER ... the following week or month -- something like that -- PG had left, and such a wonderful work was over and done with and would never get played again!

The loser in that event ... is you and I!

ART is valuable and important for all of us ... and in that album, PG and GENESIS said more about it all, than their complete listing of albums, and "little stories" that meant this or that because the lyrics told you.

It reminded me of the day I saw TFTO ... when I left, crying during the encore ... you know it ... that hit! ... that it had been the first and the last outstanding classical music concert done by a rock band ever done ... that I would EVER see in my life! Already, the media was controlling everything and trashing "progressive" just because of the word, and saying that long cuts were history ... like they did not even exist in Woodstock, or in the scene in the late 60's ... why? 

Just like the other set of postings, everyone hated the "meandering", because they did not understand it ... and you know my comment then? ... you didn't go into the FILLMORE and get stoned ... because if you did, you would likely have appreciated some of the musical excursions ... not just the stupid songs and how they fared on the radio/listings today!

The love and respect for the music itself ... is gone ... now only a bit of it is music and the rest sux!

Worst of all ... we allow it and a bunch of folks says that I am the old man gratefully dead!

From Peter Michael Hamel ... there is an old man on top of the mountain and he is playing a one string something or other ... and he is dancing and singing with it ... I got it ... I got it ... I got it ... and a visitor comes by looks at him, and says ... WHAT?

Maybe one day, that visitor will be artistic enough to ask and learn a thing or two about listening and playing and understanding the artistic heart!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 10:39
^
Great story, Pedro. I too have some memorable first exposures to classic albums like that. Some during restaurant work, too, as well as in the dimly lit basements and attic bedrooms of some long lost friends. Sometimes the moment becomes the extra catalyst to a beloved musical attachment, whether live or off recorded media. Keep the faith!

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 01:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Reading Moshkito's comments he mentions the 'song for the radio' . I assume he means 'It' which personally I like and never had a problem with. The end of the album is a bit like the end to Monty Python and the Holy Grail which coincidentally came out in the same . It's that stepping outside of itself thing isn't it? Anyway I love the first two sides and the final side. Just that trick third side that I'm not totally convinced by but I know a lot of people love The Waiting Room. I can see that up to a point but it's not really for me. 

It's the 4th side that leaves me relatively cold. Side 3 has Lilywhite Lilith and The Lamia ( the former I would have liked to have been developed a but more). I can cope with the Waiting Room. I must admit I enjoyed more when I was high, but it was good to hear such a 'stiff' band, freaking out.

The whole Lamb package works very well for me. When I first heard it, it chimed with my interest in sci-fi, horror and general weirdness, and anyone else I knew at the time, who had an opinion on Genesis, one way or the other, despised it when I played it to them.

Anyway, that's quite a good site. The pictures are fantastic.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 06:57

^
Great story, Pedro. I too have some memorable first exposures to classic albums like that. Some during restaurant work, too, as well as in the dimly lit basements and attic bedrooms of some long lost friends. Sometimes the moment becomes the extra catalyst to a beloved musical attachment, whether live or off recorded media. Keep the faith!

Thanks ... I read a lot about artists, and specially in their own words, poetry, and other works. To me, they are the greatest teachers of all. You will notice in the listing of film reviews, how many of the films are about the arts and artists ... and it is, for me a "life study", and a lot of this "progressive music", is the same thing for me ... I love the music and its expression, and don't go around saying that all the ad-libbing and experimentation does not belong ... it's hard to describe and explain our very own internal dreams, the ones past REM and all that ... when there is no explanation, and ... it's all just there ... and you can't say that it does not belong to you (or within you!), since it happened to that SAME PERSON ... yes, there could/would/are many things that sometimes are confusing, but I would rather see them than have someone use a song's lyrics to tell me what religion is like, and what faith is like ... and how valuable that is to your inner constitution. 

In going back to that memory, there is something quite magical to the FM radio signal that is never discussed, and mostly because today no one bothers to listen to it (too much merde in the music and the commerciality of it all I bet!), to learn, how valuable the signal was to this new music and how it made it stand out ... today, all of the signals in the FM dial here in Portland/Vancouver are not even close to the quality of the old days KMET/KLOS/KTYD (Santa Barbara) that graced the airwaves and made so much of this music seem so damn good. The mp3 quality that most listen to these days, takes away a certain percentage of the LIFE of the music, which I am not sure that most of us can understand or hear. I can not, for example, play TFTO, CTTE, TAAB, ECHOES, YETI, EGO ET DEUS and many other things, on the car ... because their quality doesn't drive me all of a sudden.

And I think that is one of the subtle things that drove the music that I am not sure folks, TODAY, can relate to, and it reduces the music to just a song ... just a song ... just a song ... 

And it makes you wonder why we would like ... just a song ... when there are millions of them!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:48
^
Agree on that too. I'm younger than you, but I remember my older brother telling me how adventurous FM radio was earlier in the 70s....I missed the boat.

I actually still enjoy radio because I admit (blushing) that I also love pop and rock and classic rock, all of which are still available locally. If I want to listen to something like the Lamb, I'll grab my CD and blow the car speakers senseless. If I just want some rock, I'll usually stick with radio.

Unless we're talking about a long vacation drive....then I bring a CD case with at least a dozen titles.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 08:40

Unless we're talking about a long vacation drive....then I bring a CD case with at least a dozen titles.

Heck, I just burned up my CD player on my car ... ohh, btw, I had over 55 CD's in there with mp3's that I made from my 1500 CD's ... I think I had a listing once of about 45 different bands, and at least 2 or 3 albums for all of them in those CD's.

Some of my favorite road music bands, are Caravan, Hawkwind, Guru Guru, Focus ... some of the others I have the CD's of, are also there, but driving with Djam Karet on the player, is hazardous to your imagination and attention span on the road ... hehehehehehehe .... 
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12