FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 underrated prog keyboadists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 underrated prog keyboadists
    Posted: July 25 2023 at 11:24
1. Clive Nolan
2. Tomas Bodin
3. Martin Orford
4. Mark Kelly
5. Dean Baker
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:11
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Don't like LLRnR? Some real gems on that one. At least Dio didn't leave till after three great albums. I couldn't imagine him singing that DtE fare.

Oh, I don't dislike it, and you're right, there are some great songs on it. I just thought at the time it was a notch down from to 'Rising' and the live album - and after the epic grandeur of 'Rising', 'Long Live Rock'n'Roll' sounded like a title I'd have expected from AC/DC or Kiss.

Rising is indeed hard to beat. I hear you on the title. Maybe they should have titled it after "Gates of Babylon."
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 03:46

Don't like LLRnR? Some real gems on that one. At least Dio didn't leave till after three great albums. I couldn't imagine him singing that DtE fare.

Oh, I don't dislike it, and you're right, there are some great songs on it. I just thought at the time it was a notch down from to 'Rising' and the live album - and after the epic grandeur of 'Rising', 'Long Live Rock'n'Roll' sounded like a title I'd have expected from AC/DC or Kiss. 
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 22:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

[QUOTE=Braka1]I think i know why this guy might be overlooked - because, for my money, after the two
and half albums he recorded with this band, they were pretty awful.

Tony Carey  (Rainbow 1976-77)

I just realized this is the Planet P Project guy. Wonder why that never crossed my mind before.

Edited by Fischman - September 07 2019 at 22:09
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 20:15
I second John Hawken. His work with the original Renaissance, Strawbs and Illusion was first rate. Love those heavy Mellotron chords and swells. 
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 10:42

Also, that's not Tony on the first Rainbow album. The first line-up was Ritchie and 4/5 of Elf. Mickey Lee Soule was the keyboardist.

Right. By 'the two and a half albums' I meant 'Rising', 'On stage' and some tracks on 'Long Live Rock and Roll' (I think I knew their glory days were over when they released an album with that title - though it was still pretty decent. The next year's 'Down to Earth' was when i knew it was over. God, that cover....)

Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 00:30

Also, that's not Tony on the first Rainbow album. The first line-up was Ritchie and 4/5 of Elf. Mickey Lee Soule was the keyboardist. 

Right. By 'the two and a half albums' I meant 'Rising', 'On stage' and some tracks on 'Long Live Rock and Roll' (I think I knew their glory days were over when they released an album with that title - though it was still pretty decent. The next year's 'Down to Earth' was when i knew it was over. God, that cover....)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 00:16

Dave Greenfield   Say what you will, but The Stranglers were the only early punk band I can think of which was keyboard-dominated.  'Black and White' (1978) is a great fusion of  punk and prog.

absolutely . Nice N Sleazy has probably my favourite synth solo of all time and I'm a massive ELP fan!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 15:32

I think i know why this guy might be overlooked - because, for my money, after the two and half albums he recorded with this band, they were pretty awful.

fair point. Stargazer and Gates Of Babylon alone make this guy worth a shout out.

It actually isn't him on 'Gates of Babylon', from what I remember. He played on some tracks on that album, but I think it was David Stone on that track.  Still, I've watched some live  clips, and the guy was no slouch.

I praise Tony Carey whenever the opportunity arises. Rising is indeed the best album in Rainbow's repertoire. Tony's intro on "Tarot Woman" is iconic on its own. Post-Rainbow, he's done some great stuff, as Planet P Project or under his own name, even if not all of it's prog. He's even recorded instrumental electronic fare. He moved to Germany, took part ownership of a studio and spent virtually all his waking hours within that building and made many hours of music. He was born in California but has remained in Europe. 

After the first album and tour, Ritchie fired Soule, bassist Craig Gruber ("plays too funky") and drummer Gary Driscoll ("don't like his style").

Ritchie found Carey when he and Bain were in Hollywood for auditions for the band that would go on to record Rising. Carey was in another room with his own band. Carey joined not so much because of Ritchie, but because of frustration with his own band not making satisfactory progress with their own record.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 14:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've got to mention John Young of Lifesigns and many others including John Wetton and, er,  Bonnie Tyler.

Very good!  How about a shout-out to Bob Fripp?  He was never very prominent on keys, but he was an early champion of the Mellotron....I saw him play "dueling Mellotrons" with David Cross, April 20, 1973 in a LTIA show, and I believe he played a bit of electric piano on LTIA.  He also has a keyboard onstage in the recent touring monster of King Crimson!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 11:25
I'll third Simon House.

Dave Greenfield   Say what you will, but The Stranglers were the only early punk band I can think of which was keyboard-dominated.  'Black and White' (1978) is a great fusion of  punk and prog.

Edited by Braka1 - September 06 2019 at 11:38
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 10:08
Originally posted by Joe_Banks Joe_Banks wrote:

Without a doubt, Simon House (Hawkwind 74-78) is a hugely underrated keyboardist. Just take a listen to this (incidentally, one of the most brilliant song/video mash-ups I've ever seen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFd7elFVaQA

Good call. He was great with Hawkwind.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 09:27

I think i know why this guy might be overlooked - because, for my money, after the two and half albums he recorded with this band, they were pretty awful.

fair point. Stargazer and Gates Of Babylon alone make this guy worth a shout out.

It actually isn't him on 'Gates of Babylon', from what I remember. He played on some tracks on that album, but I think it was David Stone on that track.  Still, I've watched some live  clips, and the guy was no slouch.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 00:04

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 08:10
I've got to mention John Young of Lifesigns and many others including John Wetton and, er,  Bonnie Tyler.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 06:39

Edited by Braka1 - September 04 2019 at 06:40
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 14:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Shout-out to Jimmy Jackson, an African-American keyboardist who gave life to music from Popul Vuh and Amon Duul II!  He was one of the only people who could conquer the Mellotron-like "choir-organ".  

This fragment brings Jimmy Jackson into the picture. At the time Fricke lend his moog to Amon Düül II for ‘Wolf City’, it was possibly through this connection that Fricke discovered the ‘choir-organ’. As a guestplayer, Jimmy Jackson plays choir-organ and piano on ‘Wolf City’, an album recorded in july 1972. He plays choir organ on the following tracks: "Surrounded By The Stars", "Green-Bubble-Raincoated-Man", "Jail-House Frog" and "Deutsch Nepal".

Cool, Chuck! He also played on Passport's debut masterpiece "Passport-Doldinger" from '71.
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2019 at 09:46
Steve Miller!
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 18:02
Shout-out to Jimmy Jackson, an African-American keyboardist who gave life to music from Popul Vuh and Amon Duul II!  He was one of the only people who could conquer the Mellotron-like "choir-organ".  

This fragment brings Jimmy Jackson into the picture. At the time Fricke lend his moog to Amon Düül II for ‘Wolf City’, it was possibly through this connection that Fricke discovered the ‘choir-organ’. As a guestplayer, Jimmy Jackson plays choir-organ and piano on ‘Wolf City’, an album recorded in july 1972. He plays choir organ on the following tracks: "Surrounded By The Stars", "Green-Bubble-Raincoated-Man", "Jail-House Frog" and "Deutsch Nepal".

Edited by cstack3 - September 02 2019 at 18:03
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Joe_Banks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe_Banks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2019 at 14:36
Without a doubt, Simon House (Hawkwind 74-78) is a hugely underrated keyboardist. Just take a listen to this (incidentally, one of the most brilliant song/video mash-ups I've ever seen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFd7elFVaQA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>