Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thick as a Brick: Overrated on Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thick as a Brick: Overrated on Progarchives
    Posted: February 22 2021 at 23:28
Originally posted by Lieutenant_Lan Lieutenant_Lan wrote:

I agree. There are definitely better prog albums.

I think the PA top 100 agrees, too.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 17:49
I agree. There are definitely better prog albums.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 07:30
^ There, didn't you hear him? LOL
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 07:29
Originally posted by olgaol3 olgaol3 wrote:

I guess you had to be there

Where?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 14:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Poor Tull get a bad run in here. They’re better than all bands. The book remix series is the best collection in rock music. Bring on the next 3 remixes this year

They are
Check out the Aqualung and Stormwatch double albums
Thick, Passion, Horses and Songs sound stunning
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:15
It is not a bombastic album AKA solos and showboating, but a cohesive group effort, stands alone as a epic that few other prog bands can come close to a masterwork considering all points progressive rock.Ian anderson is a an absolute genius, to put this together it was never repeated again.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:25
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Poor Tull get a bad run in here. They’re better than all bands. The book remix series is the best collection in rock music. Bring on the next 3 remixes this year
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 21:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

He had his reasons.

Now I'm intrigued.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 20:58

Edited by dr prog - January 19 2021 at 21:34
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 18:41
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

By the way, I am one to read through full threads often and do like it when I see opinions/ perspectives and approaches change over time. That says something positive about the human condition to me.

^This. This, this, and this again. Greg always gets it!

Personally the change I would most like to see is the auto-lock after inactivity be removed. There’s no real need for it, and it merely creates more work for admins if they need to “revive” a thread after it has been locked.

Hi,

I have no opinion in the matter ... although I always like to say that my opinions change every time I go to the loo, because something else was introduced to the argument!

In my seeing, the only person that would not "change" his/her view/opinion would be the one that is not a "progressive music" listener at all ... and in all reality, that person should just state it is their favorite and that's OK.

Reviving some threads should be left to the admins and depends on the amount of requests made ... but in some way ... the same 5 arguments are always getting posted in this board about JT, YES, ELP and KC ... so us thinking that some things change over time ... is a challenge, isn't it?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:17
Thanks, and I do appreciate your posts, Nick. While I dislike the auto-lock and it does make more work for people like me, that was implemented by the site owner (M@x). He had his reasons.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:05

By the way, I am one to read through full threads often and do like it when I see opinions/ perspectives and approaches change over time. That says something positive about the human condition to me.

^This. This, this, and this again. Greg always gets it!

Personally the change I would most like to see is the auto-lock after inactivity be removed. There’s no real need for it, and it merely creates more work for admins if they need to “revive” a thread after it has been locked.

There are a whole heap of interesting locked threads on this forum, which I’m sure might still generate conversation from time to time as new people come to the forum. One of the first things I do when I join any forum is to read through the old threads. The topics of conversation, and how things are discussed or argued are always interesting, and a hint as to how the forum works, and how my own posts might be received. Most of the posts I would have nothing to add to, but several I read and wished I could reply to. I’m not the type to ask someone to unlock a thread just because I want to post, and I suspect that is true for a lot of forum members. Especially newer members, who may not know who to ask about unlocking a thread, or even know they can ask to have one unlocked.

For me the locking of historical threads is a barrier to conversation, and a little unwelcoming. Also, the amount of times I see people complain that there have been other threads or that something has already been said is tiresome. The membership of this forum will always be fluid, and not everyone is aware of what has been discussed before. Furthermore, you can search to find something has been said before, but it’s long ago, and the post is locked. Now if you have something to add to that, or your own take on something, you’re either left with no choice but to not post at all (your voice is effectively silenced), or to start a new thread, and be roasted for it.

This post has been brought to you by the letters T A and B, and the numbers 1 and 2.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:56
Especially when opinions change over time. There was a time when I thought that TAAB was the bomb. Now it's just a very good album to me. Still good enough to be rated at number 3. Or 2, depending on my mood. ;)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

someone please close this thread, the OP has changed his mind about the album, he said it several times. So now the thread is kinda pointless. 

someone please close this thread, the OP has changed his mind about the album, he said it several times. So now the thread is kinda pointless. 

I don't like to close polls generally, but am fine if other moderators opt to. And the auto-lock after a time of inactivity is not ideal to me either. I the case of the last post to revive this...

Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

I have to say that I think that it is overrated. I really like part one, but part 2 just feels like 20 minutes of complete filler. Sorry. 

... Ruby is sharing an individual opinion and not commenting on what the OP had expressed. I tend to prefer such an approach to starting a new thread.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:18
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I 'm changing my opinion to put TAAB at number 1. Thanks for reading.

Now you've gone too far
I was just having fun.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:12

Now you've gone too far
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:49
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:39

my question was for Doug and he answered it. 
Sorry, I assumed it was a general question. 👍🏻

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:38
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

mini rant here

I will never understand why this album is so highly rated, its ranked at number 3. That means that its supposed to be better than Wish you were Here, Court of the Crimson King, Foxtrot, Animals, Red, Pawn Hearts, and several other legendary prog albums. Its not a bad album or anything but to me its not even in the same league as most the top 50. Every other album in we'll say the top 20, has awesome soaring highs. TAAB is filled with several forced transitions and I just cant fathom how it could be top 3. 4 Star album

Please tell me i'm not alone in this

Since i'm speaking of this, I'll also throw in that I think Moving Pictures is overrated on PA, certainly not better than Hemispheres or Farewell to Kings. Side one is very very good, but side two is mostly quite dull specifically the last two tracks.

For context, let’s chuck in the OP, which I remember reading and chuckling to myself - thinking quietly that poor wee is setting himself up big time. The funny thing is, even though he may have changed his opinion since, I kind of like the stridency of this post, and apart from the tone it is written in, tend to agree with most points.

I will never understand why this album is so highly rated, but I also don’t care. It’s never going to be #3 for me, and I can’t understand why it is. But it is, and that’s just one oddity among the PA database of many. I shouldn’t say oddity, as I’ll get myself in trouble the same way I have in other threads, but for the moment I can’t think of the word I actually want to use to express what I mean,

As for Moving Pictures, I’ll never understand the popularity of that either. And I’d definitely put Hemispheres and Farewell above it, too - along with a heck of a lot of other albums. And I say that as a Rush fan, for whom Moving Pictures was the first Rush album I ever bought. Usually with me, it’s the case that the first album I buy from a band remains high in my affections, and often my overall favourite (regardless of how crap it might be compared to other albums by the same band). Often I will be able to see that what I subjectively like the best from a band, MUsT come from having bought it first, as objectively I can tell it is really not that great. Moving Pictures is the anomaly, as it was the first Rush album I bought, and far from being a favourite.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:33
my question was for Doug and he answered it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>