Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thick as a Brick: Overrated on Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 19:24
Thick Is A Brick is a classic and it's rated exactly how it resonates with those who bother to cast their vote. Therefore the rating reflects that it is one of many people's most cherished musical experiences. You just have to accept the fact that you are on a different wavelength than the people who do love it.

BTW, the album is the top rated JT on Rate Your Music and is currentl #169 of ALL albums ever recorded. 

Thick as a Brick 
ArtistJethro Tull 
TypeAlbum
Released10 March 1972
RecordedDecember 1971
RYM Rating4.02 5.0 from 9,295 ratings
Friends4.12 from 188 ratings
Ranked#7 for 1972, #169 overall
Genresvote on genres
Descriptors
satirical, complex, epic, male vocals, progressive, concept album, suite, sarcastic, poetic, technical, uncommon time signatures, passionate, humorous, playful, energetic
vote on descriptors
Language English

Edited by siLLy puPPy - July 12 2019 at 19:26

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 19:25
This reminds me of when someone says pretty much any album is over rated. Ultimately, it's very subjective since we don't all like the same things. Some people say TFTO by Yes is over rated. Like TAAB it could be accused of being overblown and I can see a lot of the same criticisms applying here. There's also those who feel tales is vastly under rated and as such much more so than TAAB since it rates a lot lower on this site.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 19:28
^ i'm not sure why anyone really cares. Make your own list and look at it every day if you can't stand it. I doubt if one single person agrees with the top 250 list. I surely don't. Foxtrot and Nursery Crime wouldn't even make my top 1000 albums much less top 20.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 19:38
^You hate Nursery Cryme so much you spell it the right way and the wrong way at the same time. LOL
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 20:02
^ i don't hate the album. I just find it rather meh. I don't understand why everyone is gaga over it but i wouldn't never call it overrated. That sounds so condescending. I readily admit that despite my insatiable musical appetite and a more eclectic pallette than most that i still have a few blind spots that prevent me from enjoying a few classics. 

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 04:44
Hey TAAB is going to be played at my funeral in it's entirety.

TAAB accelerated my puberty at the time i.e. 1972; growing a full blown beard at 13.

I started to read newspapers because of TAAB.

I changed my name by deed poll to Barry TAAB Glibb.

I know all the words to TAAB and the time signature changes; we'll, I just lied, I don't know the time signature changes but yes I know all the words.

I named my first child Thick, my second child, Asa and my third child, Brick.

Guess what my house is made out of?.....'cos it wasn't going to weatherboard...that's for sure!

I have 275 different TAAB releases from around the world including one from Botswana. (I think I lied again).

I love Fennel and non-rabbits.

I have to ask you a question i.e. Do you believe in the day?

Overrated? Nah; underrated....... should obviously be No. 1 on PA charts (!).

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 05:09
my funeral will have "The Goldberg Variations" played by Glenn Gould (his first recording of them)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 05:31
My funerary service should start with Gnidrolog's Long Live Man Dead and end with Oaksenham's Afterdeath Fantasy.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 07:12
funeral songs ehh..  long had that one picked. 

Buffalo Springfield - Bluebird

is TaaB overrated?  Perhaps.. but I'll flip it to the perhaps more accurate point. It isn't overrated as much as their earlier stuff, far superior to that, is HIGHLY underrated. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 07:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the long version or the short version?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 07:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I guess you had to be there. Obviously, you weren't.

Agreed.

At the time it came out, I thought it was cool ... another band that considered making "classical music" within a rock context, and it was outstanding. Kinda weird to think that some folks can only imagine this being a bunch of little songs just glued together ... and considering it over rated on that basis, and not a valid piece of music ... heck, you think Mozart is any better? You think that Beethoven's 5th or 7th or 9th are any better and not just a bunch of songs put together?

It's a real bummer, seeing the lack of understanding and appreciation for so much music ... and to my ear, it's like saying that Mozart is just prairie patties, and Beethoven is plain French merde (not mustard!), and of course, all these "pop musak'ers" would consider the top ten of classical music so overrated ... because CTTE is their number one favorite, and they have NEVER EVER heard any of the other stuff ... and worse ... they never will because that would be admitting that ashidholes like us were right about music, and they were just kids smoking their first joint! (AND ... thinking today's joints were better than what we had ... HAHAHAHA!!!!!)

I am of the opinion that the only thing missing here is people getting a better feel for the history and the time ... I can see it now ... a president saying that "foreign son" is offensive and that the writer needs to be fired from his job! ... and some idiots on this board will allow it to happen, instead of voting that guy out! AND, of course, one read on the lyrics of TAAB kinda ... yeah ... like Ian said ... showing the front of the CD ... this is "progressive" and then flipping the CD and saying "this isn't progressive" ... which was kinda perfect for me ... there is also a different version of it, that was cleaned up later, but the original was far more with it, and like Ian than all the rest of his lyrics!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 12:12
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the long version or the short version?

Clap and another Beer for you Jean.  Not many know of the two verision of that song.  

two really different songs in reality.. while the long version lets Neil and Stephen fly into the sun with some killer guitar work..  but IMO and it is not a commonly held one... it ruins the song as intended. ie in its short version. It was quite a sad song and was driven home by the banjo and Stephen's heart rendering softly uttered singing... in the extended version.. gone...

Look no further than the final verse.. that is why it would be my funeral song.. very sad.. and beautifully done  but anything but that in the extended version and to me that ruins the song. It isn't like there is no wealth of example of just how good Stephen was on guitar and how he held his own.. even topped Neil... but this wasn't the song to do it with.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 02:26
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ i'm not sure why anyone really cares. Make your own list and look at it every day if you can't stand it. I doubt if one single person agrees with the top 250 list. I surely don't. Foxtrot and Nursery Crime wouldn't even make my top 1000 albums much less top 20.

Absofookinlutely Clap

it's amazing that people care at all at such kind of top list at all...Confused
Don't they have better things to do in life (like breathe fresh air, for exClownEvil Smile) except stats?

As if PA was speaking as some kind of god Pig with an autoritative opinion and dogma to present and doctrine to follow for fidels. Party

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Hey TAAB is going to be played at my funeral in it's entirety.

TAAB accelerated my puberty at the time i.e. 1972; growing a full blown beard at 13.

I started to read newspapers because of TAAB.

Overrated? Nah; underrated....... should obviously be No. 1 on PA charts (!).

Yup on all three counts

And I always thought that if I ever had a dog or a cat, big chances I would've called him Little Milton Big smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 03:01
You guys/gals...what if TAAB is perfectly rated as is...?

THEN what do we do?! Cool LOL

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 12:30

to fully understand TAAB you have to have the original newspaper album cover and read it completely, down to the tiniest ad and including doing the join-the-dots to see who Fluffy the duck is talking to. you will then understand that the album is a brilliant gigantic hoax

That's the beauty of this mother of all concept albumStar: it's a spoof Clownabout a complete hoax Evil Smile and it's absolutely hilarious Tongue that it wrinkles the serious proggers Pig

That's at least worth 5 clappies
ClapClapClapClapClap

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 14:11
OP:  Yes!

Great start, but then it does go on so. 

I'm told it had lyrics--and pulls the wool over the world in a cheeky kind of way--but those aren't the kind of things that draw me into music. It's the music for me, baby, the music! (And a nice cor anglais, accordion, Prophet 5, or ChapmanStick doesn't hurt, either!) 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 14:21

my funeral will have "The Goldberg Variations" played by Glenn Gould (his first recording of them)

Good choice but I've already told the undertaker that "Heart Of The Sunrise" will be my exit music.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 21:33
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

mini rant here

I will never understand why this album is so highly rated, its ranked at number 3. That means that its supposed to be better than Wish you were Here, Court of the Crimson King, Foxtrot, Animals, Red, Pawn Hearts, and several other legendary prog albums. Its not a bad album or anything but to me its not even in the same league as most the top 50. Every other album in we'll say the top 20, has awesome soaring highs. TAAB is filled with several forced transitions and I just cant fathom how it could be top 3. 4 Star album

Please tell me i'm not alone in this

Since i'm speaking of this, I'll also throw in that I think Moving Pictures is overrated on PA, certainly not better than Hemispheres or Farewell to Kings. Side one is very very good, but side two is mostly quite dull specifically the last two tracks.

I rate it better than all those albums. The compositions are just first class.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 22:35
I found that Jethro Tull, aside from Aqualung, never really did anything for me for a long time. I thought they were overrated as well. But by spending more time with a couple albums, I grew to appreciate their idiosyncratic style to the point where I often crave it over my more traditional prog favs. To me they have a unique and personal style that fits well with good fantasy novels and adventures of the imagination. Thick As A Brick does this especially well by fostering many great melodies and hooks under the umbrella of one epic piece, never losing its sense of direction and flow.

However, I do prefer no small number of other prog records to it. It wouldn't make my personal top 10. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 04:08
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

mini rant here

I will never understand why this album is so highly rated, its ranked at number 3. That means that its supposed to be better than Wish you were Here, Court of the Crimson King, Foxtrot, Animals, Red, Pawn Hearts, and several other legendary prog albums. Its not a bad album or anything but to me its not even in the same league as most the top 50. Every other album in we'll say the top 20, has awesome soaring highs. TAAB is filled with several forced transitions and I just cant fathom how it could be top 3. 4 Star album

Please tell me i'm not alone in this

Since i'm speaking of this, I'll also throw in that I think Moving Pictures is overrated on PA, certainly not better than Hemispheres or Farewell to Kings. Side one is very very good, but side two is mostly quite dull specifically the last two tracks.
It's called having different tastes, I'm with you on Moving Pictures, for me every album preceding it is better but that's the way it goes, others think differently.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>