Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thick as a Brick: Overrated on Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 07:13
let's just stay above the "moral melee", prefer the sink to the gutter, keep our sand-castle virtues, be content to be a doer (rather than a thinker) and lift our pen rather than sheath our sword Ying Yang

Yyyyeeeessssss, it's that good!!!!n Star
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 23:58
76.53% of it is definitely not overrated 
Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 08:08
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Wink

I never said I didn't like it ... I still have it, even! Some of that stuff by JT I can't seem to let go of!

Overrated, for me, is just another word in the dictionary!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 08:13
Tbh Tull is one of those bands I've never warmed up to, simlar to VdGG, though I like some tracks here and there.

Ratings are ratings - subjective, and maybe not super helpful - might be better to read some reviews by people with similar tastes. Even then sometimes you might feel differently after a listen. Best to just form your own opinion and don't get too worried if some people have a different one. If we all felt the same way about it it wouldn't be that much fun - and that applies to any album.

Edited by Howard the Duck - July 23 2019 at 08:15
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 11:41

Wink

Well...50% is ok.....to me side one  is enough.....side 2 is basically a repeat in a way.
Stern Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 15:34
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

Well...50% is ok.....to me side one  is enough.....side 2 is basically a repeat in a way.
Stern Smile

This
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 18:43
I personally find it rather boring, and it is not that I necessarily don't like long tracks (I'm a big admirer of f.e. "Tubular Bells", "Atom Heart Mother" and "Echoes"). But I usually lose interest when it comes to very long improvised passages, plus I miss a clear structure, but maybe that's just me.

Whether it's overrated or not, I can't really judge, because it is clearly not my type of music. I guess it should be more interesting for people who grew up with jazz. I like earlier Jethro Tull stuff such as the Stand Up album.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 20:00
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I personally find it rather boring, and it is not that I necessarily don't like long tracks (I'm a big admirer of f.e. "Tubular Bells", "Atom Heart Mother" and "Echoes"). But I usually lose interest when it comes to very long improvised passages, plus I miss a clear structure, but maybe that's just me.

Whether it's overrated or not, I can't really judge, because it is clearly not my type of music. I guess it should be more interesting for people who grew up with jazz. I like earlier Jethro Tull stuff such as the Stand Up album.

I agree with you but in my opinion there aren't "improvised passages": every step is well-studied, even forced, but the suite in a lot of passages lacks of melody, there is no a clear direction, because they dont find it. You can do beautiful songs without a clear melody, if you play an abstract improvised form where the pleasure of the listeners is listein to the tonal variations of the instruments (King Crimson, Van Der Graaf), or you can do beautiful songs finding a beautiful melody and building around it a good structure and arrangement and so do Jethro Tull at their best, but in TAAB, they are not at their best.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - July 23 2019 at 20:02
"Happiness is real only when shared"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 00:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Wink

I never said I didn't like it ... I still have it, even! Some of that stuff by JT I can't seem to let go of!

Overrated, for me, is just another word in the dictionary!

Ok I never said you did either. It was just a joke about the whole artist vision being seen (and appreciated). Joke's are never any good if you have to explain it!

For me its an excellent album. Lots of great Hammond and drumming and it pleases me. For me, if it has over 1000 ratings then whatever rating it has is fine. One of the problems with the rating system is that there is quite a large jump between 4 and 5 stars. Too many ( myself included) hand out 5 stars because 4 stars just feels that little bit too low. Now if you had 4.5 stars as a 'go to' that might allow the special 5 stars ratings to be used more sparingly. 

Edited by richardh - July 24 2019 at 00:11
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 02:35
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I don't hear any improvisation in either side of the album... But yeah, the flipside needs more remarkable movements... Maybe Anderson concentrated a little too many ideas on side A at the expense of the flipside.
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink
Stern Smile

I can't imagine TAAB without the "Do You Believe" passages. Heart
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 06:54
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Those are sublime!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 07:28
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Those are sublime!

Clap absolutely
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 04:36
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Those are sublime!

Clap absolutely

I cannot imagine TAAB without side 2; indeed, "Do you believe in the day" section is just about my favourite part of TAAB. The "Do you believe in the day" dirge complements the overall, mostly up, whimsical nature of TAAB. Also the avant-garde section near the start of side 2 just breaks up the whole album. Love it.

Just listen to it 17,155 times like I have over the past 47 years and it might just grow on you!

Edited by BarryGlibb - July 26 2019 at 04:36
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2019 at 15:48
It may be overrated if you compare to Tulls other remix sets. They’re all deservedly 4.5 stars. The bonus track Kings
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Geologistjavi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geologistjavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 15:06
I think it is a matter of likes , I don’t know how many people voted for TAAB , but is it highly ranked is because it deserves , remember that the ranking is due for the number of votes , if the majority think like that , personally think it is not highly ranked , should number 1 or 2 , I have heard all the albums you mentioned below , is my opinion none of them is better than TAAB, I suppose you don’t like Jethro Tull , but many people likes , to me the Best Jethro Tull album is not TAAB , is Passion Play . This album is very underrated but in my opinion is one of the best progressive rock albums ever made for his complexity , smartness and sophistication.
Geologistjavi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geologistjavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 18:00
I think the only album better than Thick as a Brick is another Jethro Tull album ,
Passion Play , In my opinion these two albums are at the top of Prog rock , to me only Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound , The Wall Of Pink Floyd , Close to the Edge and Relayer from Yes get the level of the two Jethro Tull albums . In the Court Of the Crimson King is a outstanding album but to me doesn’t get the level of the mentioned above . They are my likes and my technical perception on how the progressive rock music should be performed . Thick as a Brick and Passion Play are technically perfect made , for the persons that have not analyzed in details these albums , I would recommend to hear in details the changes in passages and rhythms , but should be analyzed with open mind and put aside your favoritisms . Then may be you can change your point of view about TAAB. I highly recommend to heard Passion Play.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 18:21
Haha, what a silly thread I started over a year ago here. Don't worry folks, i've come around to it and I think it deserves it's acclaim and spot on the charts here. Now with that said, I still prefer Songs From The Wood as my favorite Tull, and in general my favorite era of JT is probably Minstrel-Stormwatch. But I do love me some Passion Play too!

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 08 2020 at 18:21
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 22:07
Originally posted by Ridgeback Ridgeback wrote:

The idea the TAAB is rated higher than a extraordinary, almost flawless album like Wish You Were is nothing short of an utter travesty. The two shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath. It’s like a guy parking his Chevy Malibu (very decent car, btw) next to a Lamborghini and thinking them equals. Jethto Tull was a decent albeit pedestrian band IMO. Whereas PF were gods. There is again IMO no comparison. 30 years from now ppl will still be raving about PF. I doubt JT’s legacy will endure in the same manner.

Taab is way better than wywh. Pretty much blues based music with some sax on wywh. Taab is much more thoughtful in composition and musicianship. Tull blow Floyd away. They’re just a mellow blues band a lot of the time

Edited by dr prog - December 09 2020 at 01:13
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 23:44
TAAB > WYWH.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 02:24
I’d take Taab over basically any album. It’s close to perfection. Tull are second to none. The amount of quality songs they have released on their remix series is unmatchable. Great balance of folk, prog and heavy rock. They don’t smother their albums with mellotron. They rely on great melody .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>