Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thick as a Brick: Overrated on Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 16:53
Originally posted by Geologistjavi Geologistjavi wrote:

The last Jethro Tull albums are fantastic also masterpieces, Roots to Branches, J-Tull.com and The Christmas Album , which is marvelous in this J Tull went back to their original style. Well done again Jethro Tull as usual.

I quite like roots and dotcom. Even catfish has some cool stuff. All 3 probably have a double album worth of tracks
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 19:43
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ I’ll also add Jethro Tull is one of my favorite bands anyways, those kinda of condescending elitist comments like the one you’ve quoted here is the reason why people make fun of Prog fans and/or have a stigma against the genre. To that guy, we all hear music differently and listen for different things, people probably say the same things about genres you despise.

Indeed.  Albeit it's not an exclusive preserve of progheads.  Metalheads are way worse.  At least used to be.  Don't know what things are like now because I only sporadically connect to go see prog metal bands but the tr00 metal crowd in the noughties, man o man!  LOLLOLLOL  

Speaking of TAAB, I too prefer Songs from the Wood to it.  And FWIW, I don't find WYWH to be all that it's chalked up to be.  Listening to Allman Brothers and Boz Scaggs' Loan Me A Dime kinda spoiled Shine On for me and even otherwise, I regarded it as taking entirely too long to get to the point. But hey, that's just me.  And it's not like I think TAAB or WYWH are bad albums.  But what's somebody going to do if I say I like Kohntarkohz, Red or Larks Tongue in Aspic more than them?  Are they going to tell me I don't get complex music, like really, WYWH/TAAB are more complex than LTIA/Kohntarkohz?  U mad bro?
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 23:00
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Geologistjavi Geologistjavi wrote:

It is your opinion and like , but to me and many other fans of progressive rock music , Jethro Tull is one of the best prog bands and strongest , it is the only band that combines in only one piece of music different styles that could vary from Folk , blues , hard rock , symphonic rock , Classic style etc , they have done with perfection and smartness due of the brilliant brain of Ian Anderson. It is not free why Jethro Tull has sold more albums than strong prog bands as Yes , King Crimson and Emerson Lake and Palmer, only Genesis and Pink Floyd have sold more than Tull because they are more popular bands , Genesis probably for the Collins era which became a pop band . And Floyd because is easier to hear than Tull and Crimson, Floyd is not complex musically than Tull and Crimson . So Jethro Tull is one of the best progressive rock band ever existed, only for smart ears . People that not appreciate the brilliant and beautiful music of Jethro Tull don’t know about
Good music .

I don't mean to be rude, but if you paid attention to the discussion, you'd have notice the person who created this thread has changed his opinion about TAAB.

Your last sentence in your paragraph is rather insulting TBH. No need for such statements. We all have different tastes here and it's perfectly fine. 

People claiming an empirical monopoly on musical taste typically have no rational argument lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 00:07
Surprised that this discussion is going on so long. TAAB in no way is overrated but probably Tull as a band very much are. They were not that interesting as say Gentle Giant and not as exciting as ELP , or as 'fun' as Genesis. I see them as the weakest of the big six but certainly TAAB is a masterpiece in my book.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 00:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Surprised that this discussion is going on so long. TAAB in no way is overrated but probably Tull as a band very much are. They were not that interesting as say Gentle Giant and not as exciting as ELP , or as 'fun' as Genesis. I see them as the weakest of the big six but certainly TAAB is a masterpiece in my book.

I personally think TAAB is so popular because it's one of the easier epics to listen to and digest, all the way through IMHO.

There's also nothing wrong with that!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 04:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I agree Richard. But I think it's because Tull were a hard rock band that made a prog album as opposed to pure prog groups like the others in the "big six".
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 06:38
In my experience I have found that JT are one of those bands that almost take no time to get into, but almost take no time to get out(ta), either. Like 12-15 years ago I was mad about their works from 1968 through 1991, excluding perhaps 1987 and 1989. Then something happened - may be a maturity. I got tired of Ian's screechy unshaved voice, of lyrics too sophisticated to be true, of stage personas in their 50s-60s still pretending they are gnomes and Arthur. 

These days I totally refuse to understand the whole style of fantasy. I don't accept theatre. I love only comedies. I have learned enough in my life that actually life is tough, cruel, nobody really loves anybode else, and there are no flying deers, and no real democracy to the last drop anywhere. And then I want no escape, I want to see onstage the people outside of theatre gimmicks and suits. 

The Story Of The Hare looks and sounds beautiful. With You There To Help Me is unexpected. Thick As A Brick is monumental. A random song by JT doesn't really affect me in any possible way then anymore. 

Much like Queen, actually. 

These days (I'm 37 y.o.LOL) I want just Gentle Giant-alikes, not GG Allin-alikes. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 07:00
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

The Story Of The Hare looks and sounds beautiful. With You There To Help Me is unexpected. Thick As A Brick is monumental. A random song by JT doesn't really affect me in any possible way then anymore. 

Much like Queen, actually. 

That's an interesting parallel. That's kinda the way I feel about both bands.  They ENTERTAIN me but I don't feel much of anything.  I guess they didn't intend it most times (Queen get there sometimes simply on the strength of Freddie's beautiful delivery, particularly Show Must Go On) but I get tired of THAT much escapism.  Genesis were theatrical too but Gabriel always seemed to get to the heart of the feelings behind the drama.  And they just wrote these beautiful melodies on top of that so...

But it's ok, JT is a fun band.  And that way, GG doesn't 'affect' me either.  It's 'just' entertaining and exciting.  Not all music is meant to make you cry or to make you angry, at least that's what I think.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 12:35
Taab is a masterpiece. It was the best Tull year but has now been matched by its surrounding years 71 and 73 as well as the folk years 77-79. That’s because every song has been released now 40-50 years later. Also the improved sound had made a great difference
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 13:19
TAAB is a musically complex piece of rock. There are more than a few academic reviews/books that are entertaining if you are musician. Despite the fact that the members ( other than John Evan ) did not read or write music at that time ( as reported ) . Probably similar to a lot of that generation of our beloved prog bands.
Place TAAB in it's proper place in time and it is an anolmaly, a popular recording with the public that reached far out on the branch of rock music. Overated ? who knows ? Appreciated ? yes very much. I happened to pull it out just last weekend and the flute solo around the 5:10 mark still inspires me.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:16
I have to say that I think that it is overrated. I really like part one, but part 2 just feels like 20 minutes of complete filler. Sorry. 
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:19
Nice one. Being a Tull freak for many a moon now, if we compare TAAB with Stand Up, I'll def say YES, the former is quite blatantly overrated. I believe the so-called music critics out there are to blame for having pushed TAAB so high up there.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Because for a single track that is 45 minutes long or whatever it is it flows really well with no boring parts(unless you consider drum solos boring). 

Hi

.... dang ... we could have asked Ginger Baker!!!!

And now for the evening news! Wink

I don't think that anything is over rated and any more than I do that anything is under rated .... and under the carpet of our imaginations gathering dust and insults from our feet!

Personally, I wish that the commercial design of rating things, would be done away with ... the whole "progressive" thing was based on INDIVIDUALITY and a desire to do something different and not on a top ten thing, and in fact, the stuff that was in the early FM radio in America was completely ... almost the biggest finger EVER to radio ... for some 10 to 12 years before it went commercial and corporate.

For my tastes, there is a lot more music that deserves the credit but since that poll would rather consider "favorites" instead of other bands, by the time you remove the "duplicate entries, you probably could have added 30 more bands to the top 100 ... but we are not smart enough to consider "music" ... we're limiting ourselves and CONTINUOUSLY discuss the same 3 or 5 things ... including the poll crap ... comparing albums from different eras ... like Miles stands a chance against a modern jazz player that everyone loves to kiss his butter!

The only thing that is over rated for me, is the folks here ... continuously putting on airs of knowledge, when their ability is limited to 3 albums, not 50 different ones ... and personally, I do not want to put them down, but these discussions get boring, and they are not even "technical" or about the "music" and the reasons why it is this and that ... all the comments are ... favored ... and has nothing to do with music.

And I wish PA could improve on this ... though many think it will alienate the "fans" ... but then, are they really into "progressive music" ... or just talking some imaginary talk? And going back to listen to their trash metal!

Edited by moshkito - January 19 2021 at 07:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:36
Underrated. It should be at number 3 after ItCotCK and CTTE.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:37
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

People claiming an empirical monopoly on musical taste typically have no rational argument lol.

Hi,

You must mean most of the posters in this thread, no? There is no "rationality" beyond "like" and "dislike" in this board ... it's why they like to say it has to be about the fan, not the music!

Most of us can't even define that point!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:40
I know what I like and I like what I know...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:42
someone please close this thread, the OP has changed his mind about the album, he said it several times. So now the thread is kinda pointless. 

Edited by Cristi - January 19 2021 at 08:02
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:50
I changed my opinion. It should be at number 2 after ItCotCK.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:59
I'm with Steve
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:05
Clap So glad we just keep reviving this thread Thumbs Up really isn't beating a dead horse after a year and change
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>