Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Hawkwind Trip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Hawkwind Trip

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 01 2004
Location: CA
Status: Offline
Points: 9019
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 14:32
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Great idea. Some bands' discographies simply command this sort of venture, e.g. Hawkwind, Tangerine Dream, Black Sabbath, Blue Öyster Cult...!

I haven't done this with TD since discovering they recorded something worthwhile after 1986 but it's now time to return to it. I only have 70 or so albums but they're well spread in time apart from just having a couple of tracks each from compilations for a certain run of 7 studio albums and I could add half a dozen of Edgar's solo albums under his own name Wink.
 

All of Edgar's, yes, including Dalinetopia (underrated), plus Peter's excellent Romance '76 and Transharmonic Nights, and as many of Johannes' as you can collect, with Wuivend Reit and Songs No Words at a minimum. 

As for Chris, The London Concert and stop there. 

And since the new grandiose box set In Search of Hades finally makes Michael Hoenig's brief involvement official, his solo albums Departure from the Northern Wasteland and Xcept One demand inclusion!
Back to Top
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: May 28 2005
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 9572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 17:27
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

[QUOTE=verslibre]Great idea. Some bands' discographies simply command this sort of venture, e.g. Hawkwind, Tangerine Dream, Black Sabbath, Blue Öyster Cult...!

I haven't done this with TD since discovering they recorded something worthwhile after 1986 but it's now time to return to it. I only have 70 or so albums but they're well spread in time apart from just having a couple of tracks each from compilations for a certain run of 7 studio albums and I could add half a dozen of Edgar's solo albums under his own name Wink.
/QUOTE] 

All of Edgar's, yes, including Dalinetopia (underrated), plus Peter's excellent Romance '76 and Transharmonic Nights, and as many of Johannes' as you can collect, with Wuivend Reit and Songs No Words at a minimum. 

As for Chris, The London Concert and stop there. 

And since the new grandiose box set In Search of Hades finally makes Michael Hoenig's brief involvement official, his solo albums Departure from the Northern Wasteland and Xcept One demand inclusion!

I especially love the second side of "Romance '76". absolutely brilliant music. my inner eye sees a romantic couple on horseback (two on one horse) on the run from a foe, an evil king with his army; the romantic couple are his wife and her lover. they arrive at an abyss and are stopped. a magical glass bridge appears over which they slowly ride. the foe and his army do not dare to follow, and rightly so; the glass bridge would collapse below them

Edited by BaldJean - July 16 2019 at 04:37


A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Back to Top
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 02 2016
Location: Philly burbs
Status: Offline
Points: 10505
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 17:44
I heard something pretty good by them the other day in my car while listening to an independent college radio station(someone requested them). It was from their second album "in search of space." It was probably at least ten minutes long. I haven't heard anything bad by them even though I've only heard a few albums.
When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.
Back to Top
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: May 28 2005
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 9572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 18:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I heard something pretty good by them the other day in my car while listening to an independent college radio station(someone requested them). It was from their second album "in search of space." It was probably at least ten minutes long. I haven't heard anything bad by them even though I've only heard a few albums.

probably "You Shouldn't Do That"; the track is almost 16 minutes long


A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Back to Top
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 02 2016
Location: Philly burbs
Status: Offline
Points: 10505
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 18:34
^ Yeah, probably. Anyway, have fun with your Hawkwind journey. I actually saw them one year at Nearfest. I was standing right near Dave Brock but didn't say anything to him. I'm sure others did though since he was right in the middle of a  crowd. Then again I saw Peter Hammill at the same festival in a crowd and no one appeared to talk to him so I talked to him briefly. Not all prog musicians will bit your head off but you never really know who will and who won't. Lol.
When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.
Back to Top
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 03 2011
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 705
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 23:11
Re the TD discussion which my attempt to quote has messed up completely, I was thinking of Edgar’s solo albums as a number of later “Tangerine Dream” albums only had him on them. You could expand the trip a lot though with those plus Klaus Schulze, Conrad Schnitzler, Steve Joliffe, even Florian Fricke (Popol Vuh) was on “Zeit”.

Sorry Jean, I’d talk more about Hawkwind. I have loved the albums up to “Warrior On The Edge Of Time” but not so much the next ones and gave up after “Levitation”.

Edited by 2dogs - July 15 2019 at 23:14
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Back to Top
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: May 28 2005
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 9572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 04:46
since we have arrived at the time of the sad demise of Robert Calvert here a nice excerpt of Amon Düül 2 playing a benefit concert for his family after his death. note that one of the drummers is Guy Evans of VdGG who also was the drummer of the British Amon Düül. "Fool Moon" by them is probably the last album Robert Calvert can be heard of. he recites a German text about sensory perception there (with a heavy accent)




A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Back to Top
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 19 2007
Location: Penal Colony
Status: Offline
Points: 10606
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 05:46
The Calvert era Hawkwind is the only version of the band I can really stomach all told. A deeply troubled but profoundly gifted writer who was years ahead of his time and probably never got the kudos he deserves. My favourite Calvert story epitomizes the man:

A former (unnamed) Hawkwind band member, came up to him back stage and said with great annoyance
'why are you telling everyone that I'm a c*nt?'.
Bob looked over to him briefly, and then said he was sorry,
'I didn't realise it was supposed to be a secret'.
Punches were exchanged. LOL



Edited by ExittheLemming - July 16 2019 at 05:51
Back to Top
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: May 28 2005
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 9572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 06:07
the fourth day was filled with Dave Brock's solo album "Earthed to the Ground", Robert Calvert's "Freq", "The Chronicle of the Black Sword" (incl. "Arioch"), "Live Chronicles", Robert Calvert's "Test-Tube Conceived" and "The Xenon Codex". highlights were "The Chronicle of the Black Sword" and "Live Chronicles".

"Earthed to the Ground" 7
"Freq" 7
"The Chronicle of the Black Sword" 10
"Live Chronicles" 10
"Test-Tube Conceived" 7
"The Xenon Codex" 7

48 out of 60; an average of 8

we feel dizzy


A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Back to Top
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 03 2011
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 705
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 07:26
Two 10s and four 7s sounds pretty good, worth a bit of dizziness Big smile.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Back to Top
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 02 2016
Location: Philly burbs
Status: Offline
Points: 10505
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 07:29
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The Calvert era Hawkwind is the only version of the band I can really stomach all told. A deeply troubled but profoundly gifted writer who was years ahead of his time and probably never got the kudos he deserves. My favourite Calvert story epitomizes the man:

A former (unnamed) Hawkwind band member, came up to him back stage and said with great annoyance
'why are you telling everyone that I'm a c*nt?'.
Bob looked over to him briefly, and then said he was sorry,
'I didn't realise it was supposed to be a secret'.
Punches were exchanged. LOL


I bet Lemmy threw the first punch. LOL
When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.
Back to Top
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 03 2011
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 705
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 07:33
I like Lemmy era Hawkwind. Despite not knowing the correct way to play the bass sometimes he's the only one really driving the tunes forward Star.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Back to Top
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 01 2004
Location: CA
Status: Offline
Points: 9019
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 18:28
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the fourth day was filled with Dave Brock's solo album "Earthed to the Ground", Robert Calvert's "Freq", "The Chronicle of the Black Sword" (incl. "Arioch"), "Live Chronicles", Robert Calvert's "Test-Tube Conceived" and "The Xenon Codex". highlights were "The Chronicle of the Black Sword" and "Live Chronicles".

"Earthed to the Ground" 7
"Freq" 7
"The Chronicle of the Black Sword" 10
"Live Chronicles" 10
"Test-Tube Conceived" 7
"The Xenon Codex" 7

48 out of 60; an average of 8

we feel dizzy
 

LOVE those albums...LOVE 'em!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.156 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.