Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marco Minnemann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marco Minnemann
    Posted: July 12 2019 at 09:34
Just wanted to give thanks to multi-instrumentalist Marco for all the fine music he creates. Not only is he a fantastic drummer, his writing skills (as heard on his solo albums) are more progressive than most of the bands listed on PA. He is also a hell of a guitar/bass player. In addition to all the session work he does and playing/touring with his band The Aristocrats, he still puts out on average one solo disc each year. Amazing talent.

I'm so glad he didn't get (or take) the DT drum position. He has given the universe so much incredible music. Rock on Marco.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 10:56
^ Love Marco! I really didn't know who he was until the Dream Theater auditions. Then I started seeing other projects he worked on ( Aristocrats, LMR....)  I'm a drummer so I always enjoy watching someone with that level of skill perform. Great drummer!. 
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 12:13
he really deserves the praise, great musician!

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 12:51
Have you seen hes jams with Paul Gilbert, they are also quite similar in the face anf hight
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 16:07
Just saw him with The Aristocrats in Sacramento. He is such a great showman, and his skills are unmatched. He plays with such joy, it's really fun to watch!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 23:38
Yep one of the very best modern drummers.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 02:41
Incredible drummer, and I remember Luke Jaeger from Sleep Terror talking about working with him.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 08:53
The man can play the drums, can't he?
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 14:13
I noticed him at his performance on UKZ's Radiation from 4'03 on... He has opened doors into the realm of polyrythms, so did i.a. Camille Bigeault, I'm curious how those patterns could possibly be included into a piece, not only on drums, also other instrums !
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 19:43
Marco's like the bas***d child of Bozzio and Broof!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2019 at 00:52
Love Marco's playing, so intense and super musical and rhythmic. Saw him with Steven Wilson on GFD tour several yrs ago.....He tossed my wife one of his drum sticks after the show, and not a new one but the beat up one he had just finished with. 
mashrootix View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashrootix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 06:23
macro one of the wonderfull modern drummers. he is really great musician!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 07:08
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

^ Love Marco! I really didn't know who he was until the Dream Theater auditions. Then I started seeing other projects he worked on ( Aristocrats, LMR....)  I'm a drummer so I always enjoy watching someone with that level of skill perform. Great drummer!. 

So, if I may extrapolate a little on your comments ... DT decided to take a bean counter for a drummer, instead of an intelligent and versatile drummer with a record already?

Let me rephrase that ... DT was looking for another graduate of the bad school of music that can only teach 4/4 and conventional rock drumming ... so they would finally get a drummer that shut up and played instead of thinking he was a song writer and producer! Sadly, the new guy's playing is really sad and has not elevated DT's music at all ... it's made it even more boring compared to previous stuff.

Edited by moshkito - August 20 2019 at 07:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 09:03
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

So, if I may extrapolate a little on your comments ... DT decided to take a bean counter for a drummer, instead of an intelligent and versatile drummer with a record already?

Let me rephrase that ... DT was looking for another graduate of the bad school of music that can only teach 4/4 and conventional rock drumming ... so they would finally get a drummer that shut up and played instead of thinking he was a song writer and producer! Sadly, the new guy's playing is really sad and has not elevated DT's music at all ... it's made it even more boring compared to previous stuff.

I tend to agree with you Pedro......Simply comparing Portnoy to Mangini, I don't think there is a comparison regarding DT music/band. Two different players, Portnoy more musical with fills that at least made sense, the other severely too mechanical and clinical and just too fast. Portnoy can play a very good 4 on the floor with hi-hat skills and Portnoy is so much better at cymbal playing.
There is a place for Mangini, just not with DT......but I also think their problem is not just him, Petrucci and Rudess have become so freaking boring, playing and writing.

History will say they should have listened to Portnoy and taken a hiatus, because today they desperately need one before its all over. Although overall IDC as they have enough previous material that is excellent and keeps me listening to that DT era.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 14:01
^ I agreed with Portnoy from the beginning, and indeed since he left the music the band has created sounds uninspired... just DT by the numbers (even on Black Clouds it started to sounds so, but with more listenings, I do love some of the tracks there... the problem ends up being more on the lyrics of that album, that are really embarassing). However, I have come to enjoy the last album more than I have enjoyed any other since Portnoy left, and in particular Fall into the Light is the song I have liked the most since then.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 18:32
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ I agreed with Portnoy from the beginning, and indeed since he left the music the band has created sounds uninspired... just DT by the numbers (even on Black Clouds it started to sounds so, but with more listenings, I do love some of the tracks there... the problem ends up being more on the lyrics of that album, that are really embarassing). However, I have come to enjoy the last album more than I have enjoyed any other since Portnoy left, and in particular Fall into the Light is the song I have liked the most since then.

I agree. I never had issues with BC&SL, sure the lyrics are cheesy but what band has not done this? Last album I bought was DT12. Really have not listened much to the new one but I'll check out Fall Into the Light. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 23:58

whoever he is I really hope he doesn't read these comments LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 09:07
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I had a conversation about this with Mike Howlett ... and he says ... it doesn't really matter what I do ... some will like it, and some will not like it ... and I, personally, don't care ... it's enough to know that I love what I do and how we work together and many times it's not about which note I do or don't do, because they all make suggestions ... like one of them always wants me to funk it up some more!

He did say, (paraphrased) I have a career in music and am now teaching it and sometimes I even do music lessons to some students. I really have nothing to look back at ... and think .... that was not very good, and I could have done better! (Here is the important part!!!!) And the only hope I have is that I can always play it well and right, and always sound valuable and important to the moment ... one note won't make the difference ... but my attitude towards it is the most valuable part of it all ... I love the music and what I am doing! There is nothing anyone can say that will interfere with what's inside me!

So, do we need to discuss who is the musician and who is the note/beat counter?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 10:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

M1k3 M@ng1n1 LOL
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 10:34
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Just wanted to give thanks to multi-instrumentalist Marco for all the fine music he creates. Not only is he a fantastic drummer, his writing skills (as heard on his solo albums) are more progressive than most of the bands listed on PA. He is also a hell of a guitar/bass player. In addition to all the session work he does and playing/touring with his band The Aristocrats, he still puts out on average one solo disc each year. Amazing talent.

I'm so glad he didn't get (or take) the DT drum position. He has given the universe so much incredible music. Rock on Marco.

The Eclectic Team just okayed him for inclusion in the Archives.  Should be seeing him pop up in the database soon.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>